St Thomas ready for Oasis

debtmkr

I read a few weeks back regarding a lawsuit related to the pier for Oasis --- Is St thomas going to be ready for Oasis of the Seas -- and has any work been done?

While on our Water Island tour the guide said that work had been going on to make room for the bohemoth

• 4 weeks later...

According to what I had read online on the St. Thomas Source website http://stthomassource.com/ there was a dispute with where to put the dredge material. The original plan was to dredge the area near the WICO and transfer that material to Brewer's Bay. There it was going to be use to fill in a dredge hole that was created when the airport runway was extended and material was removed to provide fill.

The issues are that some are saying this will cause damage to Brewer's Bay in terms of the area naturally filling in that hole over time and adding material would distrupt the natrual way of things. There also appear to be some concern that the materiall removed from around the WICO may not be as clean as one would expect due to the continual ship traffic.

When I was there in June no work was being as far as dredging was concerned. I also regularly watch the Paradise Point webacam http://www.paradisepointtramway.com/webcam/webcam.html

and there appears to be no sign that a dredge has been moved in pace to start the work.

Scott

Archived