Do you feel secure using credit card for SeaPass account

Using credit card for SeaPass Account

Do you feel secure using your credit card for SeaPass account?

Reason I am asking is that I have read some posts that indicate that their credit cards were compromised.

Of course! It's no different from charging something anywhere else! You do know that whenever you charge something, the person either swiping the card, or taking the info has access to your credit card number. Even if YOU swipe the card, the establishment has the credit card number---it has to, in case there's a problem! Your receipt is truncated, but not theirs!

If you are totally paranoid, you may want to buy (and it will cost you) a pre-paid card that you will only use for this occassion!

Of course! It's no different from charging something anywhere else! You do know that whenever you charge something, the person either swiping the card, or taking the info has access to your credit card number. Even if YOU swipe the card, the establishment has the credit card number---it has to, in case there's a problem! Your receipt is truncated, but not theirs!

If you are totally paranoid, you may want to buy (and it will cost you) a pre-paid card that you will only use for this occassion!

I feel safer using my credit card than using a prepaid card.

If I lose the prepaid credit card, I am probably out of luck.

I am planning cruise for someone else, and I guess I am thinking about everything that could possibly go awry.

If it was for myself, I would not hesitate to use my credit card.

Thanks all.

Reason I am asking is that I have read some posts that indicate that their credit cards were compromised.

It's safe.

I think it is safer with the cruise company than the restrurant you ate at before you got on the ship. I have had my credit card number stolen at a restrurant.

I can relate. As a police officer I take credit card fraud reports quite regularly. I ate at a local restaurant and guess what. Yep, it happened to me. Imagine me going to work and saying "Hey guys guess what, I've been scammed." Actually It was the RCI Visa Card that I used and their fraud Dept hit on it immediatley, froze my card, and contacted me.

I can relate. As a police officer I take credit card fraud reports quite regularly. I ate at a local restaurant and guess what. Yep, it happened to me. Imagine me going to work and saying "Hey guys guess what, I've been scammed." Actually It was the RCI Visa Card that I used and their fraud Dept hit on it immediatley, froze my card, and contacted me.

Now that's a bold move...........with you being in law enforcement.

Same thing happened to us. Our RCI Visa somehow was used for a $10 donation to the American Red Cross plus another charge for $1. They notified us within a few hours and when it was determined that we didn't make the donation nor the charge, they immediately closed the account and issued us new numbers and cards.

This happened at the same time we were waiting for a rather large refund from RCI on our April cruise. Everything transferred over without a hitch.

You cannot use a pre-paid card at hotels or car rental agencies so I'm not sure a cruise line would accept them.

###

Never had a problem and we feel very safe in using our RC visa for our sea pass. If anything, what you read was most likely from land purchases where the card was compromised.

I have used my credit card for my SeaPass account five times in the past, and will again on my cruise next week. I have not had any problems. I have had my card compromised on land, but so far not during a cruise.

When I travel I do not use my CC in a situation where I can not see it. I will not give it to a waiter in a restuarant. I will ask to pay the cashier directly and leave a cash tip.

I have had no problems with RCI and the process works great. You only enter the last 4 digits over the internet when you do your online checkin; so that is secure. You just need to bring the card so it can be swipped when you checkin. The electronic swipes are a lot more secure than the old machines. Good Sailing, Murf

I feel very safe using my credit card for my onboard charges.

For every story you read on these boards about credit card fraud on a ship, I can show you 100 where it happened when you handed your waiter your card in a land restaurant.

And remember if you read it happening to 5 people on Cruise Critic, that's 5 out of how many hundreds of thousands that go on cruises every year?

I have never had a problem. However, if you are that concerned, they

do give you the option of settling your Seapass account with cash.

Get cash and keep it in your room safe deposit box and then pay

with cash. You better have enough though because you cannot get

off the ship before you pay. Thats why at the end of the cruise you

hear the Guest relations desk paging people. Those are the folks

that have not settled their account.

Glad my name was never called. They give you a list of all your expenses

and charges on departure day and you can always view the charges on

the TV. I always check it several times a day. I can then keep track

of what I spend.

Archived