Dog Sledding: Mandenhall or Denver Glacier?

chuka28

I hope there is an expert out there that has done both and can tell me about the helicopter/dog sledding trip in Juneau (Mandenhall) and compare it to the Skagway (Denver Glacier) trip, and if by going on the glacier (Mandelhall) itself we may be losing the opportunity to go on the exploration excursion around Mandenhall, since there is no time to do both fly and explore the sorroundings on the Juneau stop. This is once in a lifetime trip for us and we want to get it right. Thanks.

For clairfication it is Mendenhall. It makes absolutely no difference in the "glacier" experience, which one you go on. With this being a "once in a lifetime" trip- what are your other plans?? If you do want to get on ice- the dog sledding is mostly all snow, you could do a helicopter trip from each of these ports??

You may want to consider booking where it fits your overall port time best.

I haven't been on both but I can tell you about the Mendenhall Glacier Dog Sledding trip because I did it last week.

The helicopter ride up to the glacier is a BEAUTIFUL ride. When we were there, the weather was 75 degrees so everyone was in shorts and t-shirts. If it's that warm when you go, I still recommend a windbreaker and a hat, gloves and sunglasses - because it gets windy when you are on the sled. For our trip, we did not get to pet the puppies because they were only a week old. Obviously later in the summer, they will be petting age. We were assigned a musher and went to meet the dogs. Because it was warm, the snow was a little slower than normal - but the sled ride was still amazing. One person rides with the musher and two ride in the tow sled (one "driving" and the other riding). Really the musher drives, you just lean when he leans and use the break when he tells you and you stop twice so you can take pictures and change places (if you want). Once you get back to camp, you say goodbye to the dogs and take the helicopter back down. The ride back is shorter, but still really fun.

It's an expensive excursion (I have been told you can get it cheaper by booking it directly with the company or by signing up at their booth when you get off the boat) but I didn't want to miss out and it was worth the money. Most of the "dog camp" excursions are at a spring camp where you will only ride on wheels (not in a real sled) so it was really cool to be able to experience the real thing. And the dogs are incredible. They really just LOVE to run. I HIGHLY recommend doing this excursion if you can.

Thanks for all the information, I was planning on packing a very warm jacket, it may not be necessary. (We are leaving on July 4th -Seattle Round trip on Princess)

I am leaning towards going on the Mendenhall explorer/whale watching combination in Juneau and leaving the dog-sledding/helicopter for Skagway, where we have more time. I hope I am making the right decision.

We did Denver and it was awesome...we got canceled on the other because the copter was fogged in...then we had to scramble to get reservation the next day...I bet some got blocked out.

Archived