best NY airport to fly out of?

elvisbuff

Hi,

We are going to be on the GEM 11/29/09 transatlantic cruise. We will be staying over night in Jersey City on 12/12/09 and will be flying home to SFO on 12/13/09. The Newark airport is closer to where we will be staying but is considerably more expensive than flying home from JFK. My question is would it be worth it time wise to fly from JFK and what would be the best mode of transportation to the airport?

oh, the difference is price is $60 + per person and there are 3 of us

thx

Hi,

We are going to be on the GEM 11/29/09 transatlantic cruise. We will be staying over night in Jersey City on 12/12/09 and will be flying home to SFO on 12/13/09. The Newark airport is closer to where we will be staying but is considerably more expensive than flying home from JFK. My question is would it be worth it time wise to fly from JFK and what would be the best mode of transportation to the airport?

thx

personally i find JFK and LGA to be a pain. but then again...i live on the NJ. if the budget calls for cheaper fair...go for it. but then that would affect where you stay. would you still be staying in JC? i think in this situation the $180 just might be in that area where it will be a wash.

JFK to hotel in JC (you'll need some sort of car service)

EWR to hotel in JC (shorter ride...still need some car service...but will be cheaper)

anyone else in NJ think otherwise?

Hi,

thx

It's probably a little cheaper the way you suggested. A cab from Jersey City to JFK will be more expensive than from Jersey City to Newark, but not $180 more expensive.

You can take public transportation from Jersey City to Manhattan, than to JFK, but if you've got a lot of luggage to drag, it's not going to be pleasant.

Best New York Airport.....kinda like asking which is the best tooth to have pulled.....

Unless the cost savings is significant and really an issue, I would go with EWR as it is closer and overall is probably a better flying experience.

I would always recommend Stewart/Newburgh (SWF) but it's better to fly from than to. If you're from anywhere in the area, including Bergen Cty. NJ, or Fairfield Cty. CT I'd definately look at Stewart if you're flying south. Long term parking as low as $8.00 a day and $40.00 a week, and an easy walk to the small, intimate terminal. And, the flights almost always take off and arrive on time.

:confused:Ya'll from the north don't realize that some of us don't know the airport abbreviations. EDW? Please clarify. I'm presuming Edwardia but I don't know where that is...

Heck, I don't even know if I spelled that right!

So they loaded up their truck and moved to Beverly...Hills that is. Swimming pools, movie stars.

Why is it every time that sound goes off there is someone at the door??

Where is mbisson when I need him?:D

:confused:Ya'll from the north don't realize that some of us don't know the airport abbreviations. EDW? Please clarify. I'm presuming Edwardia but I don't know where that is...

Heck, I don't even know if I spelled that right!

EWR: Newark

LGA: LaGuardia

JFK: JFK ;)

I'd go with whichever airport is going to give you the best flight times/prices etc. We've always flown through JFK, mainly because Cathay Pacific offers a fantastic YVR-JFK flight. It's not my favorite airport, but I enjoy it a heck of a lot more than, say, LAX.

What about Long Island? Southwest flies to/from there. Does it have easier access than the others?

MacArthur/Islip might not be a bad choice. You'd have to look at the cost of a one-way rental car, plus a few dollars in tolls to get there from Jersey City. It's about a 60 mile drive. Tolls would be the same going to JFK or LGA.

What about Long Island? Southwest flies to/from there. Does it have easier access than the others?

Seriously, we flew SWA two times last year when the NCL Spirit repositioned to NY in the Spring and then again when it repositioned to New Orleans in the Fall.

In the Spring when we arrived in NY we took a taxi to the car rental about a mile from the port and did the tourist thing in the afternoon and then drove to the SWA Terminal on Long Island in the evening and flew out the next morning. The airport name is Islip I believe.

In the Fall we flew into Islip and used a car service the next morning to transport us to the port. Islip is a smaller airport and easier to navigate around.

Good Luck!

john

Hi,

thx

I think you have time to book the air as you say you won't be flying home until Dec. There are deals coming out all the time.

With that being said, have flown out of JFK a couple times (we are also in the bay area) and never seen such delays for no apparent reason. I would avoid that airport if at all possible. Maybe Laguardia is better but be sure to factor in the cost of transportation and subtract the difference from the $180 you are paying extra for the air. Hopefully, this is all a moot point and you find some cheaper air out of Newark.

Continental offers good deals in/out of EWR. It is the most convenient and hassle free big airport in the NJ/NY area. Long Island and Westchester etc do not offer too many choices but you might get lucky with them.

I would never fly in or out of LaGuardia. It is the worst excuse for an airport. We flew in out last March and waited in that airport for 7 hours as they gave our seat away because our connecting flight was 10 minutes late coming in. They said that we had to be there an hour ahead and we were only there 50 minutes. The airport is old and has very strange people in there.

I have never flown out of JFK but there are lots of flights in and out of there.

Newark is in my opinion an easy airport to fly in and out of. We go in and out of there all the time. I agree to try Continental as they have a big hub in Newark.

Judi

A few notes. Folks are mentioning some other airports, but how many of them have non stops to San Fran? That is the first place to start in making a decision. Unless they have a flight that works for you, then it might not make any sense at all.

I did not see why the OP was staying in Jersey City for a night? Friends/family/ touring, extra day ?? That could have a lot to do with things.

If in fact, if there is a real good reason to already be in Jersey City, why deal with getting cross town to JFK? Dollar value might be nice, but that much?

Archived