Rental car in Anchorage

Princess Petite

We are flying into Anchorage on a Saturday night and have all day Sunday to explore before leaving on Monday on our cruisetour with Royal Carribean (cruisetour #12, anybody???). Would it be worthwhile to rent a car for that day or can we have fun just exploring the city?

Hello fellow Georgian,

I also will be arriving on a Saturday night, & then flying to Fairbanks on Sunday night to join the Princess LB6 tour. Will probably just walk to the Weekend Market & explore the downtown sites. If we get over the time difference, we might take the shuttle to the Heritage Center if there is time before leaving for the airport. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Diane:)

A car rental certainly would offer you WAY more. There is so much you can do in a day. My top picks are glacier trekking, extended driving the Arm, Cooper Landing, Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine. There is also Talkeetna, Eklutna Spirit House tour- (real interesting), Eagle River Nature Center, Wasilla Sled dog headquarters, etc etc etc

• 3 weeks later...

We are arriving late afternoon in Anchorage on 07/19 and have all day 07/20 to explore Anchorage before cruisetour begins on 07/21. Same question as prior post. I have found several things to do in Anchorage w/o a car, however, if we decide we want a car is it easy to rent when we arrive?

however, if we decide we want a car is it easy to rent when we arrive?

Without reservations?? Probably not, should be able to find something, but may be very high priced and take some time finding availablity.

If you rent a car, and decide to go outside of Anchorage, here is what we did:

We rented a car at Avis with the TourSaver booklet (not at the airport, but in the city). It cost $305.00 for 3 days. We went to Portage Glacier, Turnagain Arm, Animal Refuge, Cooper Landing and fished in Soldotna.

Our favorite place was Kenai Pensula. The scenery was fantastic, better than Denali, and just as good as taking the flight trip to Mt. McKinley.

I will try to describe it to you. The background was high mountains with snow, then smaller hills with lots of trees, next came the wildflowers with a turquoise river with lots of salmon, and moose eating the grass.

Anchorage has lots of other fascinating things to do, but of course not the scenery.

I wondered if the Toursaver book allowed use of the coupon in peak season (July/August)? I have ordered the book, but I believe I read a post about the Northern Lights coupon book and Avis coupons could not be used in July and August. It looks like from your post that Toursaver allows it.

If you are a Costco member, you can get a really good deal on a car from Avis. I recently booked one for 1 day (Aug 6th) and got it for $67.92/day (total $80.14). I got a full size group E. I was really pleased with the price as it was much lower than any others.

If you are a Costco member, you can get a really good deal on a car from Avis. I recently booked one for 1 day (Aug 6th) and got it for $67.92/day (total $80.14). I got a full size group E. I was really pleased with the price as it was much lower than any others.

WOW! That is a good price!

Archived