Baking & Bug Repellant

1button

One of the guides that we spoke to in Talkeetna told us that one of the best repellants is vanilla (the kind you use for baking) watered down a little bit. However, she expressly noted that you shouldn't use that concoction if you're going to be out in the woods on nature hikes...something about BEARS being attracted to you! :eek:

Funny! I thought the same thing when I was told that...However, I DID try it when we got home & it does work on a comparable level to "OFF". Fortunately we dont have to worry about bears in this region, but my Yellow Lab was a major pain in the butt since she was attracted to the odor.

I don't know if someone was pulling your leg, or they were simply misinformed themselves. A Google search shows a number of "recipes" for vanilla insect repellant, including this one:

EHow.com vanilla insect repellent

In fact, vanilla is somewhat of a natural insect repellent. The problem is, even Mexican vanilla extract is not strong enough, doesn't last, and it's sticky. Worse, the vanilla extract we typically find in US grocery stores is mixed with corn syrup -- the very source of carbohydrates that bugs need for flight! So they'll be attracted to the corn syrup, and while they're visiting your skin, they'll complete the meal with a little of your blood!

For more info debunking vanilla -- and other purported remedies like vitamin B-1, Bounce fabric softener, Vicks Vaporub, Avon Skin-So-Soft and more -- as mosquito repellants, turn to the best rumor/urban legend/old wive's tail web site: Snopes.com. Here's a link about mosquito repellant claims, which makes clear that products with Deet are the only good way to go:

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

Hope that helps!

-- Eric

Archived