Past Celebrity Employee - Answering Your Questions

cruiseemployee

I have worked for Celebrity Cruises for almost 3 years but have moved on to bigger and better things. My knowledge of cruising would best be used in this forum for anyone who may have questions regarding shiplife or any questions you have may have...I come on cruise critic about once a week so please be patient with me as I reply in this thread.

Any questions are welcome.

Cheers.:)

Strange question for you...what is the standard dress for the folks who work with the kids? (khaki pants, white polo shirt or something else)? Also, what is their job title?

I know the question seems strange, but I am planning a fun surprise for someone who is applying to work on the ships with the kids.

Thanks

Ok, I'll bite. What kind of internet access do the staff have? Do they have computers they can use free of charge or do they have to pay? I got an internet cafe card in one of the ports and it still had 30 minutes left on it so I gave it to my cabin steward. I was wondering if it was something he could really use or if he had all the free access he wanted.

hiya cruisee,

what position on the ship were you employed at???

i wonder if we have met on past cruises.

hope you are enjoying the bigger and better things...are you still involved in the cruise industry at all? After being aboard the ships ..would you consider going on a cruise vacation now?

*sweet*

Dancing Girl - The dress for youth staff is usually brown khaki's with a polo shirt although the shirt does change depending on the cruise line you work for...Celebrity's day uniform looks like they came straight from A&W. The evening uniform is a maroon suit jacket with brown khaki's. Women wear skirts.

Tuggers - I can't speak for all cruise lines, but for Celebrity our rates used to be 12 cents per minute...This is pretty expensive when you consider that the connection is fairly slow on the ship....for this reason most employees do go off the ship to do their emailing and MSN'ing (this is the best thing for us because we can chat with our friends back home for cheap) So the person you gave it to would definitely have used the card. The employees do have their own internet room on the ship, but the number of computers depends on the ship. Waiting lines sometimes were 30 mins for a computer. Go off and do it!!!

FortyNinerLiz - I'm not sure if this is bad for me to be revealing this on here so for this reason I won't tell you too much about my personal employee past. I will say that I did work as Activities Staff on the ships, so I knew a lot about all different aspects of cruiselife. It is possible that we have met before, although my calculations tell me that I have the chance to meet somewhere around 50,000 people a contract. I am currently working in a Sales position for a manufacturing company...Had my fun now it's time for real life...ugh

Sweetair - Funny you should mention that, I did go on a cruise during my holidays. Was fun to have some freedom on a ship although for some reason it still felt like I was an employee. Felt like I should be doing something to help. I will go on future ones, but to try out different cruise lines, critiquing everything like anyone else would (that's not how I would do it, that's cool, I could do better, etc.)

Hope that helps everyone. Take care and happy cruising.

Till the next post,

Cheers

The comment about "What's My Line" is certainly on target.

This could become a very interesting thread.

OK, here goes my soul searching questions.

Since you became part of the activities staff, it doesn't sound like passenger tipping is the major part of your income. Meal service, pouring liquor, beauty shop (and spa) and housekeeping are the areas where it seems passenger tips would be the major part of the salary. After this commentary, my questions are

1. "Are there positions on the ship that pay a reasonable wage for your chosen profession?" You said something about leaving the cruise company and getting a 'real job' or similar words. Was your decision to start your career working for a cruise company a 'party on' continuation of college? I do understand that ship operations jobs require certain technical skills and I am not thinking about those positions. We are talking about 'passenger contact' positions.

2. Did you make any money working on ships? I don't want to know your personal financial position but did your savings account balance go up or did your VISA card balance go up?

No more questions, but a few requests.

Describe your best experience (passenger related) on a ship.

Describe your worst experience (passenger related) on a ship.

Give us your 'Top Ten' list of what makes bad cruise passengers!!!

I don't think you will find very many people trying to place a name and face with your comments. Most of us are interested in your thoughs of ship passengers.

Thanks For Starting This Thread,

Les

This is interesting! My guess is that this "past" employee is a female based on some of the words, phrases and the smiley face that is used in the postings.

2. Did you make any money working on ships? I don't want to know your personal financial position but did your savings account balance go up or did your VISA card balance go up?
I don't know about this employee, but our friends' son cruised the sea on NCL for three years and was on the activities staff (after climbing the ladder rather quickly.) He had taken a break from college and was able to sock away over $10,000 in a savings account...enough to get him started on land. Not too bad! ;)

My son is in culinary school and I have tried to encourage him when he graduates to take a cook's job on a ship since he could potentially save all his wages, see the ports etc. UNLESS he spent his money on cigarettes at shipboard prices, or if employees don't necessarily get to disembark at all ports! I did see our steward in Curacao. Our steward, at the end of the cruise, when we offered him an opened liter of rum we hadn't drunk said, "we can't drink" and I didn't know if that meant employees can't drink, or if he meant, "we Muslims/Hindus (whatever the religion) can't drink." I think he conceded that he'd take care of it, so I'm hoping one of his co-workers made use of it. Can you clarify the no drinking statement for me, please. And please comment about what expenses an employee would have on the ship. Incidentally, my son said, "Mom, you'd be on call 24 hours a day...like slave labor! It would not be like TAKING a cruise." Is he correct? This is just an observation and don't mean to state it as a fact, but it seemed that the employees we saw were not Americans (and I do realize that we could not possibly see all the people who worked behind the scenes or in the kitchen, and it made me wonder if the salaries are not competitive with what an American would expect.

Thanks so much. It is nice that you have volunteered to answer our questions.

Shirley and Les - First off, you are right on the money as far as tipping positions. I didn't get paid a dime on tips. As far as getting paid a reasonable wage, it really depends on the position. Keep in mind that we all get paid in american dollars, no tax, and free room and board. Those are huge draws. The reasonable wages are in the entertainment department, and any officer position such as chief concierge, future cruise sales etc.

My decision to start working on a cruise ship was based on the fact that I graduated from university and wanted to travel. This was the best way to do that and to get paid for it. I guess you could say I was still in party mode out of university, and you still got that on the ship...but it's just different on a ship. Passenger related positions don't require too much experience, however you just have to prove that you're outgoing and friendly. If you appear to have a chip on your shoulder, no chance.

2. I did make money on a ship. Again, everything you earn is pocketed. It really depends on the number of contracts you do, if you're there to travel, touring. I ended up bringing about half my salary home with me (which is pretty good). I also swam with dolphins, went zip-lining, bought a computer, lots of things. So I did spend quite a chunk; but was there to have fun and experience many things. I actually did a comparison of salary for myself taking into consideration rent, tax, bills, and found that I was making about 30,000 per year pre tax.

Best experience - Very hard to pick one in particular but would have to say each week we meet a few people (5-10) who we more or less get along with right from the start. Hang out with, have fun. Probably the best would be when we ended up meeting a large group on for spring break and played ultimate frisbee with them at the beach.

Worst experience - Unfortunately there are a lot to choose from. But the one that sticks out in my mind would be the time I was hosting karaoke and a drunk guy threatened to punch me because I wouldn't bring his group up next to sing, when there clearly was about 10 people waiting patiently before him. Was ready to take him down. lol

I'll make a top ten list in a separate thread.

flashdog_1 - I would recommend your son not go to work as a cook. Unfortunately this is one of the poorest paid positions; not to mention very long hours. A cook will make money which is not even close to land wages, and will work somewhere around 60-70 hours per week. They don't get tips so this is a major factor. This is part of the reason why you do see many people from less fortunate countries in this position (american dollar). As far as the no drinking, that was misunderstood. We drink. Hard. Work hard, play hard is our motto. Most ships have 2 crew bars. 1 is smoking, 1 is non-smoking (just recently implemented). And the prices for drinks are dirt cheap.

Your last statement is right on the money. Here's the honest truth. Employees on a ship (depending on the position) work long hours and don't make that much (again depending on the position). For this reason, you don't see too many americans working the cabin steward, bar waiter, dining waiter positions. Long hours. Americans who work on the ship are there to travel, and have a good time. 90% of them are in the entertainment department. There is one more factor for americans on a ship, and that's a tax factor. Won't get into it though.

Hope that clears things up for you,

Cheers

Wow it was really nice of you to offer to answer questions. I understand not wanting everyone to know who you are. No sense burning bridges!

I wanted to ask if you think Celebrity is worse, the same as (average), or better to their employees than other mainstream lines (RCL, NCL, HA, Princess, etc). We have staff we adore on various Celebrity ships and it seems there are lots of staff on their 10th and 12th contracts aboard Celebrity. We have cruised other lines where that is not the case. Any thoughts on the long time employees?

Are you from the U.S.? Only reason I ask is that we (Americans) have a set of ideas about work and work conditions that differs from other parts of the world. Just wanting to know a little about how your "view" might be different due to a different upbringing.

Is it easy to find yourself starting to "categorize" passengers by their look and age (if you are staff)? We are somewhat young Celebrity passengers and it is odd how people assume we are first time cruisers. We are sometimes the most cruised in the room, although we cruise multiple lines so we might not be the most cruised for Celebrity. We have had a few occations of the Captians Circle Hostess being somewhat "uninterested" in the "young couple" who are likely "once every year or two" cruisers. It really doesn't matter to us, I just find it funny how quick the staff can be to jump to conclusions.

Do the cruise lines read the posts on cruise critic? We have found instances where we know the lines responded to something talked about on this site. I would love to get the honest and unbiased information from my customers that the lines can get on this site. You have to develop tough skin to deal with that kind of honesty, but it is very helpful. If you looked for trends and overall consensus on items you could weed out the mess and find good feedback. Better than the comment cards by far. My company pays big money to get the information the cruise lines have free here on this board.

Thank you for your time in answering our questions!

JUST ADD WATER - First off, let me tell you that Celebrity is all I know...I can't compare treatment because I have never experienced the other lines. I can only tell you what I've heard and seen. Celebrity in my opinion treats their employees from average to above average. Not poor by any means, but not excellent either. The average pay for Celebrity is above average to other lines, and some of the rules are better, but for some reason many of my friends have moved on with Princess and really enjoy it there. Celebrity was great for me and I really have no complaints. This is very important. On a ship, the hotel manager has a lot to do with your freedom on a ship. Freedom in terms of what you can and can't do in guest areas. It really depends on who the hotel manager is. There are some hotel managers who rule with an iron fist while others are very laid back and let you enjoy your time.

Your next question, I am not from the U.S. however I am from a developed country who has the same ideals and thoughts on work conditions. As far as developed countries employees go, I say there are 3 types of people who work on ships: People who are there to travel and experience something new, people who are there to make money, and people who are there to avoid something back home.

I do find it easy to categorize passengers based on age. You're right. Although it's not as extreme as you have made it to appear. Assumptions are made specifically about people based on the first few words you here from them and the manner they reveal. You can honestly tell if someone is cruising for the first time based on eye contact and the puzzling look on their face. You wouldn't believe it, but it's so true. Most first time people don't know how to get to half the things we offer, they happen to stumble onto them. Regular cruisers will show confidence walking into a theatre for a show or heading to dinner. A lot of my job involved randomly starting conversations with guests to see how they were doing, enjoying their cruise. I did it so often that I could tell who did and didn't want to be spoken to.

Your last question is probably the most important. The cruise lines DO read the posts. They are very interested to hear what guests are telling each other. And they take it very seriously too. Especially Cruise Critic. You probably already know, but Cruise Critic has their own party on board each ship for each cruise. Any time you have the word "critic" in your name, hospitality industries take notice. You please these people, word of mouth is positive. Comment cards are taken very seriously; every written comment is read by head office. But on here, it's volunteered. It means more from this site.

Hope this helps,

Cheers.

I was wondering if they hire nurses for short durations. I get 6 weeks of vacation in a row. I thought about working 4 - 5 weeks on a ship. Do you have to do a long contract? Where do you apply. I have looked at some websites and they charge. I am always concerned about that. How does one apply for a position on a ship without paying money to a middle man.

Thank you for answering all of the cc members questions

Wallie5446 - Sorry, but can't tell you. I'll be vague and say I was never on the century class. Don't wanna blow my cover...just happy to answer all your questions. Mary Louise - The contract for nurses are at least 6 months long...so no dice for you. You should never have to pay money to get hired for a ship. Princess, Disney and Carnival have direct hiring and Celebrity, RCCL, and Norwegian hires through agents. Find the agent in your area and you're set. Also depends on what you wanna do...shops on board, spa, bar staff, have companies like apollo and steiner who are contracted to run those areas. Most contracts are at least 6 months long depending on your department. Youth staff is the only area where they're short because of influx of children during holidays. Sorry to disappoint you.

Mary,

You can check with a Co called Jobs on Ship in Flordia. They are a head hunter for the Cruise Lines.

You may also ck with Holland Amer. We sat with the ship's Dr a few yrs back and they were hired for a short period. I dont know if they still have this practice or not.

Archived