Inexpensive non-train way to get to Florence from Livorno?

MisterBill99

We are debating on taking the train or renting a car to go to Florence and Pisa

Was just wondering how far is the Hertz Car rental office is from the Princess Ship?

Some say you can't walk out of the port, if so then how would I get to the rental office?

or for that matter a taxi?

Any Imput would be helpful. Had Rome in Limo all set but another family that was going to share backed out so I can't see spending 550 e for a car and driver when I could just drive myself.

Very confussed in Livorno, Please help

I have not checked so far with HERTZ.

But EUROPCAR (National/Alamo) delivers the car right to the ship.

Regards,

HeinBloed

The local Livorno Hertz franchiser has a deal where they will deliver (and pick up) cars right at the port. The franchise is actually run by an Italian company called Sifracar. You can go to their web site at http://www.sifracar.com/servizi.htm and check out their proposal for cruise ship passengers. You probably would also be wise to rent a portable GPS from them since it can really be helpful in finding parking lots. As to driving to Florence, you want to quickly dump the car in a parking garage and explore the town on foot (you might want to use public transit if you are going to the Academia Museum). I would urge anyone looking for a rental car option to carefully consider that to take a taxi round trip from the port to the train station (or a local rental car office) will cost about 40 - 50 Euros round trip. So, paying a little extra for pier-side delivery is a good investment.

Hank

You cannot possibly walk from the ship to the Livorno train station. Your best method would be to simply take a taxi from the pier. Many of the taxis will refuse the short fare because they are looking for full day fares. However, there are always a few taxis that will do the local run so you simply need to ask the drivers. Expect to pay about 20 Euros for the short ride (about 2 miles) but keep in mind that you can put 4 in a taxi which makes the fare very reasonable per person. We have always been able to find other couples wanting to share. When you return to Livorno, try to be one of the first off the ship and than move quickly through the station to get to the few taxis that are usually parked just outside the front door. If all those taxis are gone you will be forced to wait until a taxi returns, and that can be a battle of nerves if you are in a hurry to get back to the ship. Bottom line is make sure you don't cut things too close on the return (we usually want to be back in Livorno about 1 1/2 hours before we must be on the ship).

Hank

I omitted to thank you for this post. So, thank you!

Sounds a bit nervewracking for a couple of miles' journey (and immensely expensive compared to the 5 Euro equivalent here in the UK, but as you say, hopefully, there will be people to share).

"The local Livorno Hertz franchiser has a deal where they will deliver (and pick up) cars right at the port."

Have you folk that is thinking of renting a car look into insurance issue? I saw how those people drive in Italy and they don't drive like US. The stick is the least of anyone problem. You can easily see 6-7 cars fighting to get into 3 lanes.. I was very nervous sitting in the front watching how traffic merge and the cutting that is necessary to get you moving. The highway traffic are reasonable o.k. (bumper to bumper some time but not much different than US). But once you get into the city, driving become a lot of fun and all the signs are in Italian. Make sure someone in the group know how to read them... Good luck...

Does anyone know if the Princess bus also does a stop in Pisa? Sounds like a good deal at $59.00 however if there isn't a stop in Pisa we may end up doing both by train (that's if I can navigate through this port in one piece!).

thanks,

dan

"The local Livorno Hertz franchiser has a deal where they will deliver (and pick up) cars right at the port."

Have you folk that is thinking of renting a car look into insurance issue? I saw how those people drive in Italy and they don't drive like US. The stick is the least of anyone problem. You can easily see 6-7 cars fighting to get into 3 lanes.. I was very nervous sitting in the front watching how traffic merge and the cutting that is necessary to get you moving. The highway traffic are reasonable o.k. (bumper to bumper some time but not much different than US). But once you get into the city, driving become a lot of fun and all the signs are in Italian. Make sure someone in the group know how to read them... Good luck...

Well, I have been renting cars in Italy for about 25 years, have driven more than 15,000 miles throughout Italy (not to mention many other countries) and of course insurance is an issue. However, all the rental car companies in Italy provide mandatory insurance (it is the law) plus they do also offer additional LDW (just like in the states). It is a good idea to ;ay for the LDW since most credit card insurance plans do not give coverage for cars rented in Italy (or Ireland). For those renting longer term (3 days or more) you can rent through Kemwel and get a Hertz car with zero deductable. As to all the signs being in Italian, like the rest of Europe, Italy uses standard internationall road signs. As to reading Italian, Florence is Firenze, Pisa is Pisa, Lucca is Lucca, P = parking, etc etc. The only country we have ever had an issue reading signs is when driving in rural Greece where the signs are in Greek and they do not always have English letter translations (not a problem in Italy, France, Germany, etc etc). Oh, and the route numbers use real numbers which happen to be the same as in English....i.e. S222 = S222. :) Hope that clears up any confusion.

Hank

Does anyone know if the Princess bus also does a stop in Pisa? Sounds like a good deal at $59.00 however if there isn't a stop in Pisa we may end up doing both by train (that's if I can navigate through this port in one piece!).

thanks,

dan

If you are taking the excursion bus to Florence, it does not stop (or even go near) Pisa. Most of the cruise lines do offer a guided excursion that includes both Pisa and Florence..if you want to use their tours.

Hank

We have booked a hire car in Livorno via Salacar, 80euro for a large 5 seater car dropped off /picked up at the side of the ship. Apparently you otherwise have to take the shuttle to the port entrance at 10 euro a head, you are not allowed to walk, so it is very cost effective.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, it will cost us 30 Euro to go on a shuttle bus from the ship to the port ENTRANCE, not, presumably, the town centre (or even more usefully the station)?

If that's correct then it makes the 1.80 fare from Livorno station to Pisa all the more reasonable.

Is everything about cruising designed to extract obscene amounts of money from people without even blushing?

So, if I'm reading this correctly, it will cost us 30 Euro to go on a shuttle bus from the ship to the port ENTRANCE, not, presumably, the town centre (or even more usefully the station)?

If that's correct then it makes the 1.80 fare from Livorno station to Pisa all the more reasonable.

Is everything about cruising designed to extract obscene amounts of money from people without even blushing?

The price depends on how much your cruise line pays toward the shuttle price, so perhaps free, perhaps more, but I have not seen anyone report a price of 10 Euros per person before today!

We were docked about 50 yards from the port exit last month, so we had no issues and I have no personal experience of the prices to report.

Ahh well, we will see what happens. Thanks for the comments.

Damned if I'm going to let it spoil our vacation, but it does leave a slightly bitter taste in the mouth. That's the equivalent of a nice lunch in Pisa for the three of us.

As a general point many people book cruises a long way in advance. In the interim the world has gone crazy. People who had jobs and income which seemed secure now have to tighten their belts. Equally I accept that cruise companies have costs as well, many of which are incurred in advance.

Anyway I've verged off topic, so apologies. When the sun's beating down and we're half way through the cruise I'm sure that it won't seem quite as important:D

The price depends on how much your cruise line pays toward the shuttle price, so perhaps free, perhaps more, but I have not seen anyone report a price of 10 Euros per person before today!

We were docked about 50 yards from the port exit last month, so we had no issues and I have no personal experience of the prices to report.

This is not from personal experience but from anecdotal comment from recent cruisers. Some port shuttles are free as I understand it, but Livorno is not one of them, and as you are compelled to take the shuttle you are a captive audience.

Some port shuttles are free as I understand it, but Livorno is not one of them, and as you are compelled to take the shuttle you are a captive audience.

You are not compelled to take the shuttle. You can also take a taxi. You just can't walk.

I would imagine a taxi may be cheaper then? especially for a family,maybe not for a single person though.

There have been dozens of posts stating that the taxi costs a flat 20 Euros to the train station, so the math is pretty easy.:)

There may indeed have been dozens of posts concerning this subject, but as it would appear neither I nor the other poster were around then, that is why we are discussiing the issue:)

If the taxi fare is 20 euros then the maths is easy, but I rather think that the point was that at this port it is mandatory to take some form of transport rather than walk, so you need to factor that into your costs in addition to the the fare into Florence/Pisa.

There are two other issues with the shuttle buses (assuming they have a shuttle bus) which I have oft posted on this forum. Issue #1 is that the shuttles often do not even start running until after 8 am, which is not a good thing if you are trying to get an early train. Issue #2 is that you have to pay for the shuttle and it drops you a substantial distance from the train station meaning you still have to take a local bus or taxi...or spend more than 20 minutes walking to the station. For those who want to take a train, get together in groups of 4 and pay a taxi. However, do be aware that many of the taxis at the pier will refuse to take you to the train station (they want full day fares) so you need to be a bit assertive and the drivers will usually find somebody to make the short haul. Also be aware that when you return to Livorno in the late afternoon there will only be a few taxis at the train station. Since its first come first serve it pays to rush off the train, through the station, out the door, to get one of those few taxis. Otherwise, you might be waiting quite a while to get a taxi which is not a good thing if you rushing to get back to the ship.

Hank

NEVER, NEVER pay the driver until he picks you up for the trip back to the ship. This rule applies to all ports. Otherwise you're subject to be ripped off and stranded. I've heard horror stories about cruisers who have been stranded because they paid in advance and the driver didn't show up to take them back to the ship. I don't know how easy (and expensive) it would be to find a taxi in Florence to take you back to the ship.

I read somewhere that you can take the #1 bus from the train station at Livorno to Piazza Grande and from there take the shuttle back to the ship. Can this be done in the opposite?

Yes, it can, but if the goal is to get to Florence ASAP then I recommend springing for a taxi. The shuttle didn't start until an hour after the ship docked, and then you'd have to wait for the bus. You'd pretty much give up all hope of the 7:43 or 8:11 train (assuming you dock at 7:00), and the next train isn't until 9:11.

If you share the taxi between 4 people, it's only 5 euros each. That's what the HAL ship shuttle would have cost us, and I hear that RCI's shuttle is 12 euros!

• 2 weeks later...
Good luck with that. I think your best bet is still the train.

Well, I am back from our cruise. A bunch of us had decided to take the train in, but at 7:45pm the night before we were to arrive in Livorno, the captain came on and announced that for some reason the port authorities had decided that we would have to dock at a commercial pier, and the Celebrity corporate offices had decided that was unacceptable, so they had decided to have us tender in La Spezia instead. This was an extra 30 minutes away and required changing trains, so we all decided to just spend the $89 and do the Florence bus transfer from the cruise line (they announced that they had added 4 more buses, so I ran down and got on line and bought tickets).

• 2 weeks later...

I am back too, and can thoroughly reccomend Salacar car hire. The car was waiting right by the ship as arranged, formalities quickly completed, payment taken by credit card at the dockside, and we were on our way (complete with complimentary sat nav) inside 10 mins.

Drop off was at whatever time we wished, and we simply left the car where we had collected it from.

Great service, and a very satisfied customer here.:D

Let me try to give a real example of the situation in Livorno. On our last trip (a few months ago) my wife and I grabbed a taxi from the ship to the train station. We offered to share our taxi with another couple who turned us down because they had pre-purchased shuttle tickets. We left the ship at 7:10, grabbed a taxi for 20 Euros (found another couple to share so it was 5 Euros per person) and we were at the station by 7:30 and caught a train at 7:43 which got us to Florence by 9:30. That night we ran into the couple that took the shuttle and they were not happy campers. It turned out the first shuttle bus did not even leave the port until 8:30 which meant they did not get off the shuttle until about 8:50. They than waited 15 min for the bus that took them to the train station which meant they could not even get a train until 10:11 (they only run once an hour after 9) which got them into Florence around 11:30. This left them with a very short day in Florence and they were not pleased. The kicker to the story is that between the shuttle and the bus it cost them more than the taxi.

Hank

Archived