Inexpensive non-train way to get to Florence from Livorno?

MisterBill99

Hank,

I love reading your posts....it helped give us the confidence two years ago to get out on our own. We took trains, metro and taxi cabs in all of the ports in Spain, Italy and France 2 years ago. So in October we will be stopping in Livorno for two days. I am having difficulties getting a tour of eight organized to go to Greve in Chianti, Volterra and San Gimignano on day 1 (overnight in port). I have gotten a quote from Sifracar (below). We haven't driven in Europe yet but know it is inevitable. So in your opinion, is this the right itinerary to get my feet wet on with a GPS? Also, do you think that we are trying to see too much for one day? We like to stop and enjoy a cappuccino and lunch along the way.

Thanks so much!!

Kevin

BTW....when are you going to publish a book??

- Small car (5 seats) € 90,00

- Small automatic car (5 seats) € 100,00

- Medium compact car (5 seats) or stationwagon € 110,00

- Luxury automatic Mercedes Class A (5 seats) € 120,00

- New Peugeot 3008 automatic (€ 140,00)

- Convertible Peugeot 207 (3-4 seats) € 120,00

- Minivan (7 seats) € 160,00

- Minibus (9 seats) € 180,00

If you want to rent the GPS as well we have it on request and the price for it is € 15,00

Just to let you know we paid 80 euros for a medium sized car with a GPS included free.

I would say a GPS is really necessary, if only to help you get back to the port,:D that was quite a complicated route. The guy who dropped the car off for us was very helpful and programmed the Port into the GPS for us, so all we had to do was access that and it took us straight back.

Probably the least expensive way is the bus. There is a bus from the Livorno Stazione Marittima to Pisa Centrale and Pisa airport. The difficulty for cruise ship passengers is getting to the starting point at Stazione Marittima. You may need to take a cab the short distance because you are not allowed to walk. It may be possible to convice the shuttle bus to drop you off on its way into town as well.

Here's the timetable for the bus (it runs Monday - Saturday) and the web site for further information: http://www.atl.livorno.it/lineeest/feriale/extraurb/101_fer_est.pdf

Hanson, thanks for the nice words. It's what makes all this a labor of love. Driving in Italy can be fun, but it sure helps to have a driver who is as crazy as many of the Italians. As I have stated many times, the Italians are really crazy behind the wheel, but they are also very good. Since you are looking at Sifracar (the local Hertz franchiser) they should agree to deliver your car or van right to the pier. If you are doing this itinerary on your first day in port, than at least you do not have to be concerned with getting back to the ship at a certain time. I would not normally recommend your itinerary on a single port day (I say this to warn off others thinking on doing this without the overnight stay). We do really like Volterra and San Gimignano. Regarding the latter, parking can be a real hassle (many folks park along the road which can put you a mile from the entrance) but there are some pay parking lots near the entrance (worth every Euro if you can get a spot). Volterra has at least one large indoor parking garage near the entrance (might be more than one, but we only use one) where we have always found parking. As to Greve, we probably appreciate it more for its great location (for wine lovers) on the S222. If your group enjoys red wines, you might want to do some internet homework on one or more wineries that you can visit during your drive. As to whether this is too much to do in a day, since you are planning to drive yourselves you can always change your plans as the day develops (this is why we love doing things on our own). We would probably drive to the S222 right from Livorno, and than to San Gimignano with Volterra held in reserve if there is enough time. I agree with the other post that a GPS really comes in handy. If you are not familiar with the rental units ask the rental car folks to program the port starting point as a "favorite" which makes getting back to the ship real easy. You might want to also arrange with Sifracar that you can drop the car at the pier late (they might ask you to lock the keys in the car).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

A number of us in the CC group took the shuttle to the bus to the train to Florence, and then we went on our own. It was not a problem. It was our first experience with European trains, and the one thing I will say is to watch the boards. We left early to go back to the ship, and they changed the track, so four of us had to take the next train. So you may not want to take the last train, and also be sure to watch for track changes. As someone said a shared taxi to the train station will save some time.

• 1 month later...

Hank,

We are 2 seniors, will be cruising on the Nieuw Amsterdam next October. It will be our first time in Italy, and we are hoping to do Florence on our own. The ship is to dock at 7 AM and depart at 8 PM.

I'm confused about the Livorno - train - Florence logistics and know you can clear it up.

When we get off the ship, can we walk to the taxis to get one to the train station - or - must we take a shuttle bus to the taxis? Can the train tickets be purchased on board or must they be purchased at the train station?

Also, the plan is to go first to the Accadamia (taxi?), then walk down, enjoying the sights and (time permitting to include the Duomo), having lunch, some shopping, and then to Uffizi late afternoon before taking the train back. We'd have our museum tickets prepurchased. Does this sound doable?

Thanks for all your help. I look forward to reading all of your posts, they are so informative. You actually inspired me to do quite a few of the ports on our own.

Hank,

We are 2 seniors, will be cruising on the Nieuw Amsterdam next October. It will be our first time in Italy, and we are hoping to do Florence on our own. The ship is to dock at 7 AM and depart at 8 PM.

I'm confused about the Livorno - train - Florence logistics and know you can clear it up.

When we get off the ship, can we walk to the taxis to get one to the train station - or - must we take a shuttle bus to the taxis? Can the train tickets be purchased on board or must they be purchased at the train station?

Also, the plan is to go first to the Accadamia (taxi?), then walk down, enjoying the sights and (time permitting to include the Duomo), having lunch, some shopping, and then to Uffizi late afternoon before taking the train back. We'd have our museum tickets prepurchased. Does this sound doable?

Thanks for all your help. I look forward to reading all of your posts, they are so informative. You actually inspired me to do quite a few of the ports on our own.

Taxis should be immediately available when you walk of the ship. Purchase your tickets at the station (one for Florence, one for return). For more info on trains and Florence, see train link in sig line below.

Archived