Jan 8th 2010 Cruise on Island Escape Called Colourful Coasts

scrufgirl

Have afew questions regarding this cruise, if anyone can help me i would be very gratefull.....First off, has anyone cruised on this ship at this time of the year?, the places we are going to are:Tenerife, Las Palmas, Santa Cruz, Funchal, day at sea, Agadir(Morocco), Lanzarote, Santa Cruz(Tenerife) Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Santa Cruz, Funchal-Madeira, at sea, Agadir-Morocco, Lanzarote, Disembark Ship @ Tenerife... moving on, we have paid an extra £588 for Premiure Cabins but on our invoice it has not stated were these cabins are, or what they will be like, the only photographs of some of the cabins on this ship look like they have two single beds side by side with a cabinet dividing them, and a porthole in the middle just above this cabinet, all it says on the Island Escape cabin details are that Premiure cabins are slightly larger than outside cabins, does anybody know were these Premiure cabins are situated onboard this ship, as ive read some worrying reviews about early morning noise made by this ship that makes the cabins shake/vibrate, what has annoyed me is that when we got our invoice (after paying the extra £588) it states .."Make your Holiday Unique" you can order champagne, or have flowers delivered ect, but down the bottom of these extras if "Whatever Cabin you want" it states whether its one close to the main facilities, one next door to your friends, or the absolute assurance the you will get a double bed, you can reserve the cabin of your choice for just £35...why do they want more money from you if you have just paid nearly £600 extra?, and if this is the case of choosing your cabin, PLEASE can anyone tell me where the best Premiure cabins are on this ship (minus the noise), i suppose its the worst thing you can do is look up reviews on the holiday you have booked as it can really worry you if most of the reviews are bad, we are NOT MOANERS, we go always with an open mind, and always enjoy ourselves, if something goes wrong, well it HAPPENS, and we laugh it off and go and get ourselves a Cocktail....(or two), my husband and I are not fussy eaters and enjoy most food, but our only concern is and will be the noise that alot of people who have written reviews on this site and other sites have remarked upon, and lack of sleep will certainly spoil the holiday for us, so if you have any advice on these cabins, were they are situated on the ship, and what they are like inside, it doesnt worry us that the ships inside is abit dated, as you have all rightly said she is an "old Lady", anyway I hope you can help me out with good advise, about the month we are going (weather ect)and if anyone else has been on this cruise in the Janauary Months, any advise will be gratefull received...:)

Hi,

Don't panic, The Premier cabins are up on decks 8 and 9. We had a balcony cabin on deck nine last time and in December. (We're doing same cruise as you).

Normally if it shows twin beds the cabin steward will put them together to make a double.

You can always go to yoyr travel agent or ring Thomsons if you book direct and get them to sort you with a particular cabin. If like us you're paying that much extra for a cabin it's worth paying the small extra fee to choose your cabin.

You can see deck plans here

http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/viewShipDeckPlans.do

Noise, Our cabin was right under the windjammer last time and we thought we might get some disturbance but never heard anything from up there. We had cabin 9066. And this time we've got 9080. Handy for the grub

Ideally you don't want one that will be over the entertainment areas that are on deck 7.

Just in case you get some noise.

I have posted pics of her on here for people. Not many but so you can see the cabin etc. They were slow to upload.

I'll be back with weather in next reply.

Berwyn

Hi again,

Here's the link for our balcony cabin pics last year.

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww273/Cymro1953/

One of the girls in work did this cruise in January on a different Thomsons ship land had a great time.

I asked her about the weather and she said she'd taken cardigans but never used them, she wore bikinis and thin tops in the day and evening.

The weather was not much different to now but cooler.

Lots of answers on her in various posts and also some over on the Thomsons board now she's fully part of the Thomsons fleet.

Berwyn

We're taking our 2 sons with us in December and we're on Deck 9 as I mentioned and they're right down the bottom in an outside cabin, so I'll be able to compare both types.

You don't tend to spend too much time in the cabin apart from sleeping, washing, getting ready for dinner etc. Too busy having fun.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1007605

Have a look at this thread too on Thomsons board with a bit more info on the ship.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn, thank you so much for replying to my post, really appreciated, i will do as you advised and get in touch with Thomson and as you say pay that £35 extra to pick the cabin, you have eased my mind by what you have told me, we will try and organise our cabin away from deck 7 as you have advised us, i will go now and check out the cabins you have kindley downloaded, and also the deck plans, thank you for your help and advise....Mary

Hi Berwyn, (back again) i went onto the site were it shows the deck plans, but on decks 8 and 9, they had different colours, so im not sure which colour means the Premiure Cabins, i can see the cabins with balcony`s, and of course the inside cabins, but their are grey colour cabins, and it looks like orange colour cabins, also on deck 9 nearly all the grey coloured cabins have it seems lifeboats just infront of their windows (please tell me they are not Premiure Cabins) obstructing any views from these cabins, if you could let me know what these colours mean on deck 8 and 9 i would be very grateful, or if you could just let me know which numbered cabins are the premiure cabins so i can then choose a number, you really seem to know this ship very well so ill be guided by what you advise me...Mary.

Hi Mary,

Big resposnibility you've given me. I haven't got a brochure and Thomsons have renamed these as Premier cabins since last year. They didn't have them when it was Island Cruises last year.

I haven't got a brochure for her and she is the only ship with no colour coding for the cabins on Thomsons website.

But on deck 5 the normal outside cabins are coloured grey.

From what we've seen there is not much difference in the cabins apart from those Premier ones have a chair and coffee table in them.

All the lifeboats were on deck 9 because we could see them al level with us as we hung over the balcony.

This is the Thomsons number for booking a particular cabin 0871 231 4908

All the lifeboats were on deck

Hi Mary,

Sorry I got cut off and last message didn't all save. So I redid it.

Big resposnibility you've given me. I haven't got a brochure and Thomsons have renamed these as Premier cabins since last year. They didn't have them when it was Island Cruises last year.

I haven't got a brochure for her and she is the only ship with no colour coding for the cabins on Thomsons website.

But on deck 5 the normal outside cabins are coloured grey.

From what we've seen there is not much difference in the cabins apart from those Premier ones have a chair and coffee table in them.

All the lifeboats were on deck 9 because we could see them al level with us as we hung over the balcony.

This is the Thomsons number for booking a particular cabin 0871 231 4908

they should tell you which cabins are blocked by lifeboats for the view. So if any unobstructed view ones are available you could reserve one. If you're on deck 8 you should be OK as lifeboats will be higher than you. And perhaps give you your cabin number.

The only reason we go high up is that Delyth dosen't like being too close to the water (crazy I know on a ship) so I have to pay the extra for her to be higher up. Also you're a bit closer th the main places with things going on.

Did you book direct with Thomsons or with your Travel Agent.?

I finish for the weekend in the morning and have to go out so I'll see if my local TA has a brochure for her. They didn't when we booked that's why I haven't got one.

Don't know why they put her in a separate one.

We found on this cruise we've been on the ship was more than twice the size of the Escape and the cabins were not much bigger.

Also even if you had a blocked view I don't think many use the windows for looking out of. It's mainly the fact you've got daylight. We used to spen a lot of time right up in the Lookout on Deck 11. Fantastic views from up there. (Last year in April it was too cold to sit on the balcony much. Nice to open the door and get fresh air though.)

Our email is berwynthomas@aol.com if you want anything faster or more pics of the ship. That website I loaded them on was so slow uploading the pics I gave up.

Berwyn

Mary

Looking at the deck plans the standard outside seem to be the grey coloured ones and on deck 8 the premier ones are probably the dark pink coloured ones.

If that's it they have the suppports for the lifeboats in front of some. Also there is a short promenade area on the deck outside some of the ones on deck 8.

It's a job remembering all the small details after over 12 months.

I have pictures of the outside of the ship that shows the decks all the way up from deck 3

Our balcony cabin was really a standard size cabin inside just with the balcony stuck on outside

Berwyn

Hi Mary

I must be one of the few people who have managed to get a copy og the brochure for Island Escape.

My local travel agency told me 'oh that's finished' when I asked for a brochure for Island Cruises, but on board the Celebration I managed to get a copy off the Future Cruises lady.It does say Island Cruises on the front! They are like gold dust! But you can download one on Thomson website

The Premier cabins are indeed the purple/deep pink ones - there are 23 on deck 8, and 4 on deck 9.They all have just cabins beneath them not entertainment so noise should not be a problem.The ones on deck 9 have lifeboats in front but the ones on deck 8 don't.I rang to book one and the lady I spoke to was very helpful and made sure I got an unobstructed view.

Flopsy

Thanks Flopsy.

My TA promised me a copy as soon as got more in, even phoned round other local branches. But no joy.

Do you have the d/l link for it please? I looked on the site and all they had for ship's details to d/l were the other ships in the fleet

Berwyn

• 4 years later...

Hello

We have just had our cruise round the Red Sea cancelled :( and we are now looking at the colourful coasts one. We are set to go at new year but I am a bit of a nervous traveller and wouldn't want to go if the sea is rough at that time of year. I have heard that the crossings for the colourful coasts are exceptionally bad for dec. is this true please?

Archived