Odd Question

OKH

Whenever we got to a new port, one of the workers on the ship would hang a small flag with the RCI logo on the front of the boat and then remove it when we were leaving port. What was that about?

Also, I noticed when we were disembarking, the had the signal flags strung on the front of the ship. Is there a significance to that or were they just making it look pretty?

Ships will often times fly the house flag as you described or they may even fly it from the forward mast where the courtesy flag and pilot flags are flown. Flags are usually only flown while entering/leaving and of course while in port. The wind at sea causes the flags to have too short of a life span. The other display of flags sounds like they were for festive reasons.

Flags and pennants are displayed for identification. Cruise lines display their emblems on ship’s funnels. Each time a country is visited, its national flag is flown along with the ship’s flag of registry (often a different country from which the ship is from). Upon entering a harbor, the ship flies a special flag to request a pilot (vertical blue and white striped) while a half-red, half white flag divided vertically, indicates that a pilot is on board the vessel.

Flags and pennants are displayed for identification. Cruise lines display their emblems on ship’s funnels. Each time a country is visited, its national flag is flown along with the ship’s flag of registry (often a different country from which the ship is from). Upon entering a harbor, the ship flies a special flag to request a pilot (vertical blue and white striped) while a half-red, half white flag divided vertically, indicates that a pilot is on board the vessel.

Wow, good info! How do you know all of that?

On our cruise in October....I will be sure to pay attention. Thanks for the information.

OceanDreams

Whenever we got to a new port, one of the workers on the ship would hang a small flag with the RCI logo on the front of the boat and then remove it when we were leaving port. What was that about?

Also, I noticed when we were disembarking, the had the signal flags strung on the front of the ship. Is there a significance to that or were they just making it look pretty?

Thats a good question. Also why dose Royal not use those string of lights anymore that go from the bow to the mast to the funnle to the stern? what is the ships registry mean.

Watch out for the L flag

"the ship flies a special flag to request a pilot (vertical blue and white striped)"

Wrong its the G flag yellow and blue

Registry is where the ship is registered or home country - which during piracy would render assistance.

jj....

Ok the Brilliance is Registry: Bahamas

Now some people say its registered there for tax reasons.

Also the ship would be covered by that countries rules and regulations ( unless it is visiting another port )

Also the ship is protected the Bahamas Government.

Hope that helps.

Also do you know when a Pilot is onboard he's not in charge - he only advises.

jj.....

Can you explain in more detail?

Thanks

Most ships fly what is called a flag of convenience. i.e. They are registered in that country just because it has lax regulations and/or a better tax situation than the country where the company is located. Here's a wikipedia article about it if you want to read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_convenience

Also i bet everyone hears the captain blowing his horn lol but most times its signalling which way he's manoeuvring the ship.

One short blast indicates that the vessel is altering its course to starboard ( your right lol )

two short blasts indicate that it is altering course to port ( to your left lol )

three short blasts indicate that it is going astern ( backwards lol )

jj......

Here is info from a navigation website that I have saved....

"SHIP’S HORN IN CLOSE PROXIMITY:

In close proximity, here are the meanings of the Ship’s Horn:

One short blast means 'I am changing course to starboard.'

Two short blasts mean 'I am changing course to port.'

Three short blasts mean 'I am operating astern.'

Two prolonged blasts followed by one short blast to mean 'I intend to overtake you on your starboard side';

Two prolonged blasts followed by two short blasts to mean 'I intend to over-take you on your port side.'

A long blast every two minutes is used when operating in fog."

Ships keep to the right and pass to the right in shipping lanes with certain exceptions.

Ship whistles: In certain circumstances or crowded lanes, ships use their whistles (horns) as directional signals. If a ship is passing another vessel, it gives a single blast on its horn, which means it is turning to starboard. Two blasts signals a turn to port. The other ship acknowledges by repeating the same whistle or horn blast

Ship whistles are also sounded when in port signaling the various stages in the preparation to depart, such as warning signal that it is time for visitors to depart the vessel. Usually three blasts are given as the ship slides out of its berth. When the pilot of the vessel disembarks from the vessel at the entrance to the harbor, a short blast is given as well. Ship whistles are also sounded in emergency situations, such as the signal for passengers to go to their designated boat stations.

Navigational running lights are used at night: green for starboard; red for port; plus two white lights on the mast. The forward light is lower than the aft one.

Here are more codes given to me by various staff on RCCL. We had 3 separate calls for ALPHA on one sailing:

OSCAR: man overboard

ALPHA: medical emergency

CHARLIE: bomb threat or similar threat

BRAVO: fire onboard or grounding

Thats a good question. Also why dose Royal not use those string of lights anymore that go from the bow to the mast to the funnle to the stern? what is the ships registry mean.

I don't remember RCCL ever using the string of lights....I have only seen those lights on Carnival ships. But I could very well be wrong :rolleyes:.

and another trivia tidbit. Could be folklore :rolleyes:......

When the ship is in port. The ropes that tie the ship to the pier sometimes have these baffle type circle thingies attached to the ropes. I was told that these are to prevent pier rats from climbing the ropes and entering the ship.

When the ship is in port. The ropes that tie the ship to the pier sometimes have these baffle type circle thingies attached to the ropes. I was told that these are to prevent pier rats from climbing the ropes and entering the ship.

TRUE !!

jj......

I don't remember RCCL ever using the string of lights....I have only seen those lights on Carnival ships. But I could very well be wrong :rolleyes:.

They use to back in the 90s and mabe early 00s. Princess did it on there Island Party nights(caribbean princess) and Costa which is just like a Italianuses them. But you are right not many lines use them any more, wonder why?

That is so cool to know.

Archived