Do the Waiters Sing?

BaiAilian2013

I am going on a Princess cruise this Christmas, and my only prior experience is with Carnival. This time, my boyfriend has convinced my parents to come along for their first cruise. I know that Princess is a more upmarket line than Carnival (we got a deal lol), but I am not sure what specific differences to expect. One thing that would please me greatly is if there were no singing and dancing on the part of the waiters. Don't get me wrong, it is fun and sometimes quite impressive, but it is going to be a nasty shock to my parents (cultural difference). They'll live either way, but it would make my cruise anticipation that much more pleasant if I knew my parents wouldn't have to deal with dinner performances (especially with encouraged audience participation). Do Princess dining rooms feature Carnival-esque performances?

I am going on a Princess cruise this Christmas, and my only prior experience is with Carnival. This time, my boyfriend has convinced my parents to come along for their first cruise. I know that Princess is a more upmarket line than Carnival (we got a deal lol), but I am not sure what specific differences to expect. One thing that would please me greatly is if there were no singing and dancing on the part of the waiters. Don't get me wrong, it is fun and sometimes quite impressive, but it is going to be a nasty shock to my parents (cultural difference). They'll live either way, but it would make my cruise anticipation that much more pleasant if I knew my parents wouldn't have to deal with dinner performances (especially with encouraged audience participation). Do Princess dining rooms feature Carnival-esque performances?

No singing or dancing by the waiters. If you're in the traditional dining room, there will be the parade of the Baked Alaskas at the end of the cruise. That's about as festive as they get.

No dancing or singing waiters. However, they will sing for a special occasion if you inform them ahead of time.

No dancing or singing waiters. However, they will sing for a special occasion if you inform them ahead of time.

Yup, what they said. I have to say that I was astounded how many choruses of "Happy Anniversary" were sung on our recent cruise on the Diamond. But, other than that (and the Baked Alaska parade), no singing or dancing (thank heaven.) :rolleyes:

Fortunately no. Doesn't entertain me either.

They hardly have time to do the basic serving. I can't imagine what would happen if they had to perform every night as well.

Yes, they do sing for special occasions.

So no worries! Have a great cruise. So fortunate you can share with parents. I'm betting they will be very pleased with Princess as their first cruise.

Oh! I sure hope they don't!!

Although on one night I ate in the Crown Grill on the Emerald. A couple tables away sat a couple, probably in their early 40s, and all of a sudden one of the waiters showed up at their table with a small cake & the other waiters gathered round and sang to them - it was their honeymoon. I imagine the guy had this all arranged. Because it was in this restaurant , it seemed to fit. I just can't see it roaming through the entirer main dining room(s) though.

I like the way Royal Caribbean does it (or used to do it - haven't been on in four years) with waiters singing one night or two nights. I can do without this every night as it is distracting and interrups the meal.

The only time the waiters sign on Princess is when someone is celebrating a special occassion (Birthday,anniversary, etc.).

No dancing either.

OOOOO thats why they ask special occasion, I had listed my birthday, thought would be fun for 4 of us to have cake, but just went to Princess and took it OFF special requests. No way do I want to draw attention:o

OOOOO thats why they ask special occasion, I had listed my birthday, thought would be fun for 4 of us to have cake, but just went to Princess and took it OFF special requests. No way do I want to draw attention:o

When we travel around my wife's birthday, she always says not to put it in. Then she complains that she does not get balloons on her door. Go figure.

You can probably ask them not to sing.

kinda funny story:

I never put my birthday on as a "Special occasion", BUT, a friend thought it would be fun to get the ballons on my door. He told the steward, who must have then entered in the database in order to fill that request. Two days after my birthday in the Crown Grill (which is the first meal after that I dined in a sit-down room), the waitstaff came with a little cake and sang! No one had said anything, so they apparently saw it on the computer upon seating us. It was priceless to look around our table with everyone wondering who made the arrangements, as they all thought I would be put out, which I wasn't, but VERY surprised...we still laugh.

Archived