Star Flyer Tahiti Transpacific to Caribbean 02/14/2010

Rosaslovian

We took the Star Clipper from Athens to Goa in 2008. I was a great time. We had a bottle of Irish single malt. It barley made it the 24 days. the liquor in India is all Indian stuff and it almost drink able with a lot of coke or 7up. We will have bought our stuff in Hawaii at the duty free store before we leave. We are flying Hawaiian Air from LAX. It is good we are going to get together the evening before at the Red Touch at the dock. This way we can compare notes. We have been to a used book store to get books for the trip. I hope some one play Cribbage or Picnocle or even Spades. It is going to be a great trip!

Ed:D

Hi Gail, Ed & Sue, el al:

Besides Chinese New Year, Feb. 14th is also Valentine's Day. All good omens! Thanks for the insight, Gail.

Sounds like I am on the same plane as Ed & Sue (arriving about 10:45 PM on 2/12)...and coincidentally, I am also staying at the same B&B for two nights! Maybe we will meet waiting for our plane in LA or Honolulu.

It will be challenging to bring enough booze on board for such a long voyage, at least the way I plan on drinking. :D I smuggled beer & rum on the Royal Clipper in the Caribbean a couple of years ago with no problem. Saw other crew members doing the same thing. But we were stopping everyday on another island to resupply. Am expecting booze bill to be much higher on this adventure.

Gail, also have been reading about weather. Feb. & Mar. time frame is still hurricane season in French Polynesia. I assume we will be heading into the easterlies, tacking back & forth all the way to Panama. It will all work out and we will have the time of our lives. -Walt

Hi Gail, Ed & Sue, el al:

Besides Chinese New Year, Feb. 14th is also Valentine's Day. All good omens! Thanks for the insight, Gail.

Sounds like I am on the same plane as Ed & Sue (arriving about 10:45 PM on 2/12)...and coincidentally, I am also staying at the same B&B for two nights! Maybe we will meet waiting for our plane in LA or Honolulu.

It will be challenging to bring enough booze on board for such a long voyage, at least the way I plan on drinking. :D I smuggled beer & rum on the Royal Clipper in the Caribbean a couple of years ago with no problem. Saw other crew members doing the same thing. But we were stopping everyday on another island to resupply. Am expecting booze bill to be much higher on this adventure.

Gail, also have been reading about weather. Feb. & Mar. time frame is still hurricane season in French Polynesia. I assume we will be heading into the easterlies, tacking back & forth all the way to Panama. It will all work out and we will have the time of our lives. -Walt

We got a hotel(Park Shore) and car for one day in Honolulu. Going to pick up some more Hawaiian shirts for the trip. We have a few friends there from when I was doing me Naval reserve duty ther in the 80s and 90s:D. Will see you at LAX. We will rent a car and stay over night and have them take us to LAX. Will probaly stay at Sheradin 4 Points. We have stayed there before. Not long now before we leave. We are taking a 9 day cruise to Mexico on Jan 2 to get up going and practice packing.

Ed:cool:

Ed and Sue, it sounds like you all are having too much fun!! Making me jealous!

On the supplies front, I expect to stash a bottle or two of single malt, gonna be that long stretch across the Pacific with no stops!! When we did the Indian Ocean crossing we got off in Cochin and Goa and hit the (very interesting) liquor stores in India, but this trip will be a bit more ocean and fewer stops, so figure have to stock up before boarding (stick it in your checked luggage, seems to be no problem...).

Gail:D

Hi Gail,

Ed and I did the Star Clipper to India also last year. We then spent 5 weeks in India and Nepal. You can definitely say the Indian liquor stores are interesting. Well, the goal is to make people stop drinking! and it would work for me if I didn't have a ready supply.

I'll ask my sailor friend about the currents, etc. He and his girlfriend sailed to the Marquesas about 30 years ago.

Sue

Hi Y'all:

Sue & Ed, et al: A bit of a correction...I am flying Hawaiian Airlines from LAX on Friday, 02/12/09, with a connecting flight # 481 in Honolulu, arriving in Tahiti at 9:45 PM. I am not staying overnight in Hawaii, so won't see you until flight # 481, if that is the one you are on. I am also in business class, however they won't let me make a seat assignment yet on that last leg. Did you get seat assignments yet? I would love to buy duty free booze in Honolulu. But not sure where to put it as I am going to be packed to the gills with limited luggage for 52 days. Dare I leave behind the umbrella & raincoat in favor of booze? :rolleyes: Looks like it is rainy season in Feb. Can't wait! I want to swim with sharks! - Walt

Hi Y'all:

Sue & Ed, et al: A bit of a correction...I am flying Hawaiian Airlines from LAX on Friday, 02/12/09, with a connecting flight # 481 in Honolulu, arriving in Tahiti at 9:45 PM. I am not staying overnight in Hawaii, so won't see you until flight # 481, if that is the one you are on. I am also in business class, however they won't let me make a seat assignment yet on that last leg. Did you get seat assignments yet? I would love to buy duty free booze in Honolulu. But not sure where to put it as I am going to be packed to the gills with limited luggage for 52 days. Dare I leave behind the umbrella & raincoat in favor of booze? :rolleyes: Looks like it is rainy season in Feb. Can't wait! I want to swim with sharks! - Walt

Walt,

We are leaving Thursday and are spending the night and catching the same flight #481 on the same day as you. I can always make room for a bottle in my luggage!!:D We aere going to need light wieght clothing for this trip anyway. Shorts, Hawaiian shirts. I got couple of krinkle cotton pants from Tilley for the evening. Are going to spend anytime in Panama before going home?? We are goiong to spend a week in Costa Rica before flying home. Not to much longer now. I wonder if you can sleep on deck in a hammock?/ WE plan on bringing our. We always bring them with us when we traveling the tropics

Ed;)

• 2 weeks later...

Only 100 days before we set sail! It has been snowing here (not sticking) on Lake Michigan already this Fall. So, Tahiti is sounding better as each day gets colder and Winter approaches in the Midwest. Gail, I agree... I am forgoing the raincoat & umbrella in favor of booze. :D Gives "getting wet" new meaning. Been searching around for Tahitit 4X4 excursions. I am leaning toward the half day tour on 2/13/2010 as I read one reviewer who said the whole day tour was way too long to be bumped around. One reviewer said not to make advance reservations as you won't get a refund if you find something better once on the island. Not unexected, I keep finding contradicting reviews. Here are some sites that I found for 1/2 day 4x4 Tahiti tours:

Natura Expeditions (5,500 XPF or about $68 USD): http://www.thetahititraveler.com/touristinfo/activitiesdetail.asp?activityid=15

Maramatours (6,200 FCP or about $77 USD): http://www.maramatours.com/reservation/anglais/step1b.php

Tahiti Safari Expeditions (4,000 XPF or about $50 USD): http://www.tahiti-safari.com/indexus.cgi?safari

Patrick Adventure (4,500 XPF or about $56 USD): http://www.thetahititraveler.com/touristinfo/activitiesdetail.asp?activityid=17

Any opinions from y'all? Who is interested in the 1/2 4X4 tour? I am open to anything as I will have a great time no matter what we do.

Also, what do you use to deter seasickness? I have a feeling we may have some wild days at sea. I've used Dramamine successfully but get dry mouth. Has anyone used the prescription patch Transderm SCOP (scopolamine)? I will check with my doctor. Are you getting any pre-trip immunizations? I will be continuing through the Panama Canal and into Columbia, so will be getting some.

See you in 3 months! ;) -Walt

Hi to all the 34 dayers Tahiti to Panama. Wife and I will be arriving Papeete early morning on the 11th (6AM!!) having flown ORD to LAX on AA and then Air Tahiti Nui leaving at 11:30 PM. On arrival we will procede to the Radisson where they are offering a buy 2 get one free package so we get the 3 nights for $452.73. We would love to get together for the 4x4 drive around the island and definitely for the gathering on Saturday night. No worries about having to drive that night and can sleep in next day!!

Will be interested in exchanging thoughts of supplying the refreshment center in our cabins. When my wife and I took the Star Clipper to Athens in 2007, we found a store just up the street from where we boarded and were able to get a goodly supply and get it in the suitcase before they were boarded. Then we found shop in Goa and also the duty free in Sharm El Sheik that carried us through to Athens. Does anyone have any idea of possible resupplying on any of the islands we stop at? Greatly appreciated it you do. Also anyone with suggestions of hotels in Panama would be welcome.

Happy sailing

Will be interested in exchanging thoughts of supplying the refreshment center in our cabins. When my wife and I took the Star Clipper to Athens in 2007, we found a store just up the street from where we boarded and were able to get a goodly supply and get it in the suitcase before they were boarded. Then we found shop in Goa and also the duty free in Sharm El Sheik that carried us through to Athens. Does anyone have any idea of possible resupplying on any of the islands we stop at? Greatly appreciated it you do. Also anyone with suggestions of hotels in Panama would be welcome.

Happy sailing

:rolleyes:We will be stocking up as much as possible in Hawaii at the DFS. We will each have a bottle of Scotch (SINGLE MALT) and some munchies. At each of the stops we will try and replenish the munchies;). We just spent a week in Puerto Penasco(Mexico) trying out some tropical shirts in warm weather and testing the beer. I've already got 6 books(paper backs) lined up. Reading material will be at a premiem.:)

Ed

Hi all, just wrote a long post and lost it before posting, so this is short version,,, ok, so it went long,,, I am ready rock steady for this trip to begin!!

Tours - Walt, thanks for the research, I am good with 1/2 day and can go AM or PM (people might want to shop AM Sat, think stores are closed PM), but I am easy.

Liquor/drink: There is a Carefour (sp?) store somewhere close to town, and I heard wine prices are fairly good there. Did not see any restocking places on the rest of islands in 7 day sail last year,, not where we stopped at least, but maybe in BoraBora where we anchor by the main town. I will check on Marquesas, but figure their liquor has to be shipped from Tahiti,, so....

Also, when you pay the bill for final ship fare, you have to fill out some paperwork and there is an option to order bottles of wine in advance, so you pay in US$ and skip the exchange fee and possibly higher Euro rate at end of sail on your bar bill. They will keep the wine at the bar, serve it for dinner, or you can keep in your cabin.

Seasickness - I do 2 ginger caps every AM, carry candied ginger for rougher seas, move to chopped raw ginger if high seas and Bonine if really rough, and save the patch for Antarctica trips crossing the Drake Passage (makes me sort of dizzy and dry mouthed, not pleasant). My recipe is keep upside, keep food on stomach, and don't go below if its rough till I am really really tired! Generally works...

Terry Pilot - I am still struggling with hotel in Panama City,, have reservations for the Intercontinental Bonita Beach,, but not sure it is what I want. I know I want something with pool and beach, can't see moving right to downtown after that long at sea,, but also think IC might be isolated and expensive to get into town from, tours, etc. Seems that Sunday and Monday are hard days to get tour passage through canal,,(they offer it on other days, as a tour) and also checked the Smithsonian Institute Barro Colorado site, but no tours those days, but figure will do the Miraflores locks tour, and many are recommending the native Indian village type tours. I may lay poolside for 3 days too!

OK,, talk to you all later! Gail

Hi sailor new in town??:D

We tried out box wine from BevMo's and Target:eek:. They were drinkable. We tried box wine in France and they were GOOD. A lot more wineries are going the way in France. The 3 liter size were the best for four people or more. They can keep the box in the dinning room or at the bar for us. Wine glasses are another subject. I 've used everything from paper cups to plastic wine glasses. I evev taken my own glasses(Riedel) for a special wine at a place that onlt thick glass ones.

As far as tours we are still open for suggestions. We are snokelers. Will bring our own mask and snokel. Now long now. Wew are taking a 9 day cruise to the Mexican Riveria on 2nd JAn. to test out the new shirts and box wine.

Ed

Hello Fellow Adventurers:

Many thanks to those responding! Just received confirmation of my final payment for the 34 day leg of our sailing adventure. Now, I am really excited! Get those payments in to secure your reservations! :D

How about definitely meeting for a cocktail toast and bite to eat at 6:00 P.M. on Saturday, 2/13/2010 at the Papeete Harbor Roulettes' "The Red Crepe" truck? It is supposed to be near where we will board the Star Flyer the next day. We can decide where to toast the beginning of our journey at that time. Any other suggestions are fine. Just thought we should have a meeting point and go from there. FYI...from my research, looks like it will be very dark outside as the sun sets before 5 PM (and rises before 5AM) and there will be a new moon then.

Also, for those interested, how about the 1/2 day 4X4 Tahiti tour with Natura Expeditions on Saturday before our cocktail hour? I have read all good things about their tours. I will try to call them for more details as far as a later start time and to verify the cost (5,500 XPF, $68 USD). Am hoping they understand English. Do any of you speak French? Again, am open to suggestions.

NATURA EXPLORATION

PO. Box 381 236- 98 718 Punaauia- TAHITI

Telephone- (689) 43.03.83, Cell- 79.31.21, Fax- (689) 43.03.83

1 Landrover. 4x4 excursions of Tahiti island and her Tahiti-iti peninsula. Minimum of 1 passenger, maximum of 8, Groups up to 40 passengers also possible...

I have never been to Tahiti before but love excitement. For the adventurous ones caring to join me to celebrate pre-Valentines & Chinese New Years Day, I am hoping to go bar hopping Saturday evening after our meeting and stumble back to the guest house late. Have read about wild bars & late night shows on Saturday evenings. This may be our last evening out before Panama.

80 days until we meet. Hope you are excited, too. -Walt

Walt,

Thank you for finding out the details of the 4x4. Now there are at least two of us who want to do this. Whatever company you choose, is fine with me. What guesthouse are you staying? I am thinking of booking the Radisson, like Terrypilot and his wife. I found the same offer, stay 3 nights and pay for two, including a terrace with jaccuzi! I think I am on the same flight as Terrypilot, arriving Papeete on February 11, at 06.30 in the morning. Since check in is not before one o'clock, I make sure I put my swim suit in my carry-on, so I can at least have a swim.

The flight time is the only thing I am not looking forward to, the first leg is just one hour, then 11,5 hours from London to Lax, then 8.5 hours to Papeete. I am glad I have some days to recover, before boarding. Does anybody know who will be the captain and/or maitre d'? I am also wondering if there will be painting lessons available, like on the Transatlantic crossing.

Gail, I have never heard of the possibility to order wine? I will ask my travel agent about it. Perhaps it is again something that is not available to European guests. Will you avoid the 12.5% surcharge on your bar bill this way or do you have to pay a cork fee. As far as I know the bartenders are depending on the 12.5%, that is how they earn their income.

Is anybody taking any shots for yellow fever and/or Hep A/B :confused:?

Only if Star Clippers will have an excursion to the Indian village, I will get of the ship in Panama, but if not I will stay on the ship, but I have read that in some places in the Carib. you need a yellow fever shot, coming from an area where yellow fever is present, otherwise you are not allowed to get off the ship. Would really appreciate any info on this.

Only 10 1/2 weeks to go:D.

Have a nice weekend.

Ineke

Hi all, I have paid my final fare too,,, and bought the sunscreen,, can leave tomorrow....

Walt, PM tour sounds good, think we should all call and ask to be on the WALT tour, afternoon, half day? They can hopefully tell us if they will pick us all up at relative hotels (usual I think, but if we are spread out could take a long time) or if we need to meet up in town, and when. Have you tried calling them? I talked to my travel agent, she brought up the ride thing, and how much time gathering up everyone could take, if we are spread around too much, but it might work out fine too.

Ineke, I think that last time my roommate ordered like 2 bottles of wine, and we probably drank it in the room, but you can have them cork it,, I don't think we paid a fee and I really did not think of the bartender tip, as we always take good care of them anyway, in addition to the standard tip. It is on the form when you send in final payment, set up like a bon voyage gift you could give to someone (like you all could give me some,, sure!!) or send to self if you like to have wine in your cabin.

The dock will be well lit and there are lots of roulettes,, so easy to find the spot, and the ship will be right there - we went out like at midnight or so last year, the last night, and the parking lot there is a great gathering/social spot for what seems like all young people of Tahiti (on one side) with trucks and boomboxes,,, and then the more family oriented side with the roulettes on the other side,, lively to be sure.

Another friend and fellow past transoceanic sailor just let me know he is onboard as well, so the group is growing!!! Hope everyone of American roots had a nice Thanksgiving,, now just a few months more.

Walt, I may start a party bar hopping with you but not sure I can finish it up with the style or duration it sounds like you are aiming for!!

talk to you all soon,, Gail

Hi All!

Ineke: Good to hear from you. I will be staying at the Fare Suisse Tahiti guesthouse in downtown Papeete. Yes, I have gotten shots for Yellow fever, Hepatitis A/B, and Typhoid, plus prescriptions for an antimalarial drug & an antidiarrheal. I still need two additional Hep A/B booster shots. These all are mainly for traveling through Panama, San Blas Islands and Columbia. I would recommend talking to your doctor. I was referred by my doctor to the Infectious Disease Center in my area to get consultation & the vaccinations. Expensive...$600 USD (400 Euro) just for the shots! I have yet to fill the prescriptions but need to take antimalarial pills before landing in Panama and for a week after leaving Columbia. Check out http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/panama.aspx (although this is for USA citizens, still might pertain to Holland). As the doctor said, it only takes one mosquito bite to get yellow fever, typhoid or malaria. The nurse I spoke to strongly suggested antidiarrheal medicine as she contracted Giardia and spent most of her Tahitian holiday in a Papeete hospital. I also would love to check out an Indian Village in Panama. Do you have any info? Why wouldn't you get off the ship for a day & evening in Panama City?

Gail, et al: Isn't it a great feeling to be paid up and with a solid reservation for a once-in-a-lifetime voyage?! Yes, today I did speak to Natura Exploration's Arnaud Luccioni, telephone (689) 43.03.83. I told him that we would have 6 or more people interested in the Saturday, February 13, 2010 half day 4X4 Tahiti excursion leaving at 1:30 PM. He had difficulty understanding me when I asked where to meet, but said he would pick us up at our respective hotels prior to 1:30. He asked me to email him at http://www.natura.explo@mail.pf and he would respond with more information. He said we would need a minimum of 4 people and has additional trucks if needed. I would suggest that all of you interested in joining us at the above date & time should email Arnaud with your hotel location and state that it is for the Star Flyer group. I will let you know what I find out from his email and please share your info. We may have to push out the 6 PM toast at the Roulettes :rolleyes: or join those who are already inebriated if we are late. :p

Okay, I probably sound like an alcoholic and wild partier. Well...I am currently on the wagon and not drinking...but, I plan to fall off the wagon when I board the plane to Tahiti. :D Hey, it's holiday. Can't wait. I may decide not to bar hop like my fantasy as I read that most bars charge men $20 USD (13 Euro) cover charge. That could prove to be too expensive to wander around much. Obviously, they don't want men bar hopping in Papeete! I also realize that the best made plans can change in an instant. That's part of the excitement for me. For the record...a correction: 2/13/2010 Tahitian sunrise at 5:52 AM, sunset 6:33 PM. I found out that they do not observe daylight savings time like many places in the USA.

75 days and counting... Walt

We just got back from Portland Oregon and seeing our youngeat son and grandkids. I saw there were some more postings. We both speak French, I lived in Paris from 59 to 63, thanks to the Air Force. The 4X4 sounds good. I'm still going to pack one bottle of single malt and buy one in Honolulu at the DFS, for the evening drinks aft at night:p. The wine prices are pretty good aboard ,but check out CAREAFORE(SP) there. We are getting off in Panama and will go back to Costa Rica for a week before flying home. We spent my 60th there and will now do the same for my 70th. Not many days now.

Ed/Sue:D

Hi All:

Ed/Sue, welcome back to warmer/drier weather. Great that you speak French!

Here is the email response that I received from Natura Exploration:

"no probleme for the 13th of february if we have at least 4 persons.

we can pick you up at the hotels, pensions or the harbor.

the price per person is 5000cfp

the half day tour goes inside the island of Tahiti Nui, waterfals, look out, swimming area in river, archéological sites....;

sincerely

Arnaud Luccioni"

Still recommend that you email Arnaud at natura.explo@mail.pf and let him know that you are interested in the 1/2 day, 1:30 PM, 4X4 Tahiti tour on 2/13/2010 with the Star Flyer group. He still does not indicate if money is required in advance for the reservation. Perhaps someone with French background can communicate better either by email or by telephone (689) 43.03.83. Thanks!

As of today, 5000 CFP = $64 USD= 42 Euro. I read online that the tour is from 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM. Perhaps he would drop everyone off at the harbor afterwards. Anyway, a plan is in place. I am longing for warmth, sun and a cocktail. :D

Walt

Hi Walt and others,

Next time you need shots, just come to Holland:). My shots do cost me € 117.50! They do include yellow fever, HepA/B and DTP (Dyphteria/Tetanus and Polio. I am not taking any malaria pills, the side effects are worse for me than wearing long sleeves/trousers and insect repellant with Deet.

On the cruise critic forum board there is a section: ports of call. Over there I found some information about a trip to the Embra indian village tour, which seems to depart from the Colon docks. More information you can find on myfriendmario.com site. I am thinking about tour cl006, since I have seen the locks museum etc. Have been there in 2006. Let me know if there are more people interested.

In Cartagena there is a trip I think is a lot of fun: the volcano mudbaths.

Especially since you can have a full body massage! :D You can find info on www.travelmuse.com/totumo-volcano-mud-bath.

In Cartegena Dora de Zubiria is highly recommended for a trip. Info on her trips can also be found on the cruise critic forum.

I am going to sign up for the Tahiti 4x4 trip.

If anybody has some special tips what to take, please let me know.

I am already collecting stuff. On my way to Tahiti I am allowed two bags and one carry-on, but when flying from Lisbon to Amsterdam I am only allowed 1 bag with a max. of 20 kilo and one carry-on. I must find out what the charges on TAP are for extra kilo's. Being away for 70 days, I sure need two bags and a carry-on at least:rolleyes:.

If I find any more interesting info I will let you know.

Funny about the differences between America and Europe. My final payment in not due 6 weeks before departure time. I have already paid a non-refundable deposit of 10% within a week after my booking date (April 2009). The remainder is for the three cruises together. I have once received an invoice from the travel agency, and have never seen a form as was mentioned by Gail. The one and only invoice it is. I have to remind myself of the final date, the travel agency is not doing that. Did you get some incentive from the travel agency, just curious. By the way, I didn't.

At the moment I am checking out all e-book readers available in Europe.

Although the Kindle is now available here as well, I am not going to by one, since I read that I have to pay 44% extra when bying a book, this has to do with internet cost. On the other hand, in Holland we normally pay 6% VAT when buying a book, when you download one through the internet, it will cost you 19% VAT. Well, that is it for the moment.

See you in two and a half months.

Ineke

Hi everyone,

This is Sue of BajaEd and Sue. We're probably counted in on the tour, but if not, count us in. It sounds like a great plan. Saturday morning is a good time to visit the market, maybe get a little breakfast and see Papeete. Then the tour in the PM and dinner and drinks at the harbour.

I bought a guide book for Tahiti. The author lives in Tahiti and was a guide and knows all the guides. She says Patrick has a 9 passenger Mazda 4WD (or at least he did when the book was written in 2008), and is a very knowledgeable guide about everything from archeology to geology to food and modern life in Tahiti. Also, there is a very good review for Patrick on Trip Advisor.

Sunday sounds like a good time to relieve our aching bones after a day of jouncing around and go to the beach for a little snorkeling. I don't see any beaches mentioned, but that can be taken care of once there.

I'm getting revved. This far distant trip seems so close now.

Cheers all,

Sue

Hi All:

I realize few so far are going beyond Panama. This is for those who are...

Ineke: Thanks for the insights. Here is the Panama tour I would be interested in per the http://www.myfriendmario.com website that you mentioned. It starts in Panama City, not Colon. We would need to find out if the Star Flyer would be in port early as this starts at 9 AM.

Code: PC3

Chagres river + Authentic Embera Village + Waterfall

Category: Nature and Culture

Transfers: any Panama city hotel

Days: From Monday to Sunday

Length: from 9:00am to 4:00 pm (7 hours)

First we will travel to the North East portion of the country to venture by canoe to the Embera indian village, here you will step back in time and observe a fascinating culture and people that have remained unchanged for centuries! we will also take a ride on the Chagres river to go to a pristine waterfall in the heart of the rainforest where you and your family can take a refreshing swim beneath the waterfall.

This is a truly a National Geographic experience that you and your family will never forget!

Price: USD75 p/p

Private tour: USD85 p/p

The price includes:

Transfer from and to the hotel in Panama city

English/ Spanish speaking guide

Beverages and Snacks

Indian village entrance fee

Indian lunch

Children 10 years and under will pay USD45

Note: Chagres National Park entrance fee ($5) is not included in our price.

Also, I would love the mud baths in Columbia, too! :D

The antimalarial pills that I will be taking have rare side effects:

Malarone is very well tolerated, and side effects are very rare. The most common adverse effects reported in persons using atovaquone/proguanil for prophylaxis or treatment are abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and headache.

Most of the other pills sound horrible, like you mentioned. :(

Did you get the typhoid vaccination? Typhoid is caused by feces contamination in water or food (not mosquitos like I previously mentioned). :o

Walt ;)

Walt,

Tomorrow I will phone my travel agent and ask her if she can find out more info on the ETA in Panama from Star Clippers. I will also ask if SClippers already has some info on excursions. As soon as I find out I will post the info here.

I am glad you like the mud baths, but you did not mention if you are going to do the full Monty! Just curious:D.

The info on the trip in Panama sounds great, and I really hope we will be early enough to make this excursion. Are your friends joining you in Panama, or will they be on board in San Blas. Perhaps they can join us on the Panama trip.

I looked up a UK travel agency who claims to be the one who sells the most cruises for Star Clippers. On their site both the Tahiti-Panama and the Panama-St. Maarten trip are sold out. Perhaps there are many more lurkers on this board than participants.

Looking back at the emails, I do think that you and your friends and myself are the only ones who will go further than Panama. As far as I can see I am the only one who is going all the way to Lisbon.

I am curious to know how many passengers they will take on the first leg, since they must use some of the cabins for food. They need to stock for 34 days. What are your thoughts (everybody) about this.

About the malaria pills, malarone is the one and only I cannot take and the others are far worse, so I am going to take the risk. The last time I was crossing the Panama canal, I did not go into the jungle, but made an excursion into Panama, to the museum etc. I did not take pills then.

Will keep my fingers crossed. Well I am of to bed now. Being a quarter to twelve. Have a nice day and hopefully many more people will join this board.

Ineke:p

We will be on the first leg with another friend from Georgia that was with us on the Athens to Phuet trip last Oct. We will stock up on Dark M&M's and cashews:p and other important snack food. It will be interesting to see how much they load up at the last stop before Costa Rica. We will also load up on necessary items there also as well as others. This is going to be be a lot of fun.:rolleyes:

Ed

Hi all, thanks for detail info Walt, on tour. I will email the tour company and make my reservation. I thought I might hit the market on Sat AM as I know nothing is open on Sunday (one small shop across from the port that you can buy minimal items in, change a little money, that we used last Nov when there). Or I might sleep in or sun before tour,, it is vacation after all!!

From my experience on the Indian Ocean/Phuket crossing (37 days),, we did onboard supplies in Egypt - 5 or 7 days out,, but I guess not possible on this trip (I THINK all food in Marquesas is basically coming out of Tahiti on the weekly ship). I know by the time we got to Phuket, (the last morning) we were out of fresh eggs, and I HEARD that the cupboard was pretty bare, but you really could not tell from the meals that were presented, so I know they can get creative. Lord knows I have never gone hungry or lost weight on the Star Clipper ships,, so am not concerned!

Not sure if they are taking limited passengers, but they did not advertise it as such (like they did the crossing over to Tahiti a few years ago, it was limited to 50 and the ship was under lots of maintenance while sailing, so I am hoping we are getting the full service here as they are advertising as grand passage, not maintenance sail with only a few passengers.

I am staying in Panama for 3 days,, was not thinking of getting shots (THINK I am good on Hep from shots for the Indian Ocean crossing and figure use misquito repellant everywhere, due to Dengue in Tahiti I think,,- getting trips and destinations confused) but I do have a website I gathered info from,, SOS International, which my company gives me access to. I created word docs of vital info for Panama and Costa Rica,, if anyone wants me to send, just shoot me a note at ghraustin1@yahoo.com and I will send to you. Has innoculation, med, banking, voltage, etc. info so handy. Sometimes I print and carry that stuff, or load on my mp3, to carry with me, so I have it handy, lighter weight than a tour book.

I DID get a swine flu shot the other day, might be overkill but sure don't want that popping up after international flights,, or anytime. They always do carry a doctor on board for ocean crossings, so they can handle various situations on the ship (and hope we only need Dr. to dance with, usually seems to be a suntanned German in my experience, and one Dr who frequently is onboard is a dancing maniac).

Am also interested in the Embera? Indian village tour, so let me know if you all book and I may book with you,, I did lots of reading based on various trip site reviews of those tours, and several tour operators sounded good on that one,,(still hanging on my hotel reservations in Panama,, not sure if disembarking and dealing with luggage will get in way of 9:00AM tour or not,,especially if I stay at Intercontinental, which is a ways out of town I understand). Usually the ship arrives at its destination port in the evening before the disembarkation, and does accommodate early departures the morning of, like 6AM or whatever, so would think no prob taking a 9:00AM tour on the turnover day (20th).

My last question,, did any of you all get the option for the Betty Ford treatment as part of the trip package?? Laughing, on the first Transoceanic I did on Royal Clipper, one couple said they had gotten that package,,, which we all may need at the end of this one!! icon12.gif

OK,, we had our first freeze in Austin last night,, I yearn for the ocean, sunshine and lazy afternoons in the widow's net,,, and a little dancing in the bar in the evenings,, coming soon to a theater near us!! later, Gail

Archived