Piraeus/Athens - Do it yourself by train (to see Acropolis)

rockinpunkin

What does it mean to have one's Metro ticket "validated?" I understand there is a fine if it is not validated.

There is a little machine right before you get on the metro.....you must insert your ticket and it time validates it. If they check tickets on the metro and yours is not validated - there could be a large fine. Ignorance of the rules will not usually get you out of the fine either :eek:

There is a little machine right before you get on the metro.....you must insert your ticket and it time validates it. If they check tickets on the metro and yours is not validated - there could be a large fine. Ignorance of the rules will not usually get you out of the fine either :eek:

Got it. Sounds pretty simple. Thanks!

so, you take the shuttle bus from the ship or the port itself?

does the ship provide the shuttle or is it a city bus-either 843 or 859

then you walk to Metro station-is it nearby?

is the metro the same as the train?

where did you get tickets for the Metro?

can you get them round trip?

was there a shuttle back to the ship?

do you know what stop to take if going to the new archeological museum?

also to see the changing of the guard?

yipes! so many questions!!!

thanks for any info-greatly appreciated!

Hi. Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam on Monday and we stopped in Pireaus. I can't answer all your questions, but here is what we did.

It was about 98 degrees, so it was a miserable day. We walked to the metro station (about 20 minutes). It is a long walk, but not terrible. There are cabs available but not many were interested in taking us. They wanted the fare into Athens.

Once at the station, you can easily buy the tickets at the ticket window and I recommend just buying the day pass. We took the Green line to Omonoia Station then switched to the Red Line and took it to the Acropoli Station. Very easy to do and the stations are very nice. Once out of the station you walk up a fairly easy hill to the ticket booth.

On the day we were there (July 22) it was crazy busy. The line to buy tickets was about an hour long. Then the line to get in was another 15-20 minutes. We had 15 people, so we ended up paying 150 Euros (plus ticket cost) for one of the many guides that happen to be roaming around. She got our tickets and we got in about 10 miuntes later. Well worth it for a larger group and would have been worth the splurge if it was only a couple of us.

We took the Green line back to Pireaus (about 20 minutes) and walked back. There was no shuttle offered by the ship.

If going to the new Archelogical Museum, get off at the Acropoli station. It's on the way up to the Acropolis. Didn't see the actual changing of the guards. Any questions, let me know.

• 1 month later...
Does the Metro all-day pass allow travel on both the metro and busses?

Yes - we bought the tickets and used them for 3 metro rides and a bus ride each. You only have to validate the ticket when you first use it (which activates the 24 hour period).

• 5 months later...
Hello Happier,

we used the red hoho bus in Athens in may to get to the Acropolis and the other must see sites.

Both red and yellow buses were there waiting when we arrived at the bus stop,which is a short walk from the ship, but the red bus was leaving in 10 minutes, the yellow in 20 minutes, so we took the red. The fare was 22 Euros, although if you have a ticket from a previous hoho red bus tour, they will give you 2 Euros discount.

We did not book tickets beforehand, as the buses run frequently.

The bus goes up to The Acropolis via Syntagma Square and there is an interchange there for the rest of Athens including Temple of Zeus, National Gardens, museum, Greek Parliament, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier , City Hall and a few other stops before coming back to The Acropolis where you change for the bus back to the pier.

Some people just changed buses and went straight back to the ship as it was a little windy that day

The whole thing takes about two hours. The headphone commentary is good and included some nice Greek Music

Hope this helps,

Has anyone else got the Hop on Hop off Bus from the port - thi sounds like a great idea?

• 2 weeks later...

The red bus http://www.citysightseeing.gr has a similar route but they don't advertise departures as frequent as was posted here. Every 30 minutes sounds like too long to wait for a bus if you don't manage to get on the first one!

I would rather hop on the metro to get to Athens quickly and then, after visiting the Acropolis, would probably take the red bus.

I'll let you know what we did after our cruise in May...

I am a closet claustrophobic & have cunningly disguised my anxieties as simple questions for those folk who have experienced the Athens Metro system.....you don't have to be a fellow claustrophobe to answer though! :D

Is the Metro in Athens over or underground ?

How crowded did you find it, what day & time were you there?

Thanks in advance :)

I am a closet claustrophobic & have cunningly disguised my anxieties as simple questions for those folk who have experienced the Athens Metro system.....you don't have to be a fellow claustrophobe to answer though! :D

Is the Metro in Athens over or underground ?

How crowded did you find it, what day & time were you there?

Thanks in advance :)

The metro is both over and underground...mostly overground until you get into the city and then underground (at least the lines I have been on). The metro was as you would expect...not very crowded outside town, but got more and more crowded at each stop as we approached the center of Athens. Syntagma and Monistiraki were both very crowded. I didn't think any more people could fit on the train, but they did :) We were there during May both times, though, so peak tourist season and there were several ships in port. Can't say how it would be at other times of the year.

I suggest going to the Acropolis first. Go as early as possible. The crowds are huge. It might even be with getting a taxi with friends to go to the Acropolis first, then take the METRO back to the ship.

Archived