connoisseur dinner, Riedel comparative wine class?

cherylterr

Hello,

My husband and I will be sailing on the Equinox in May 2010. I was wondering if anyone out there has participated in any on the wine

classes or tastings, or specifically, the connoisseur dinner. Do you wait until you are on the ship and sign up then? Do you have to sign up in advance? Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks very much!

I did the Ridel wine tasting and it really does make a difference.....I did not know they had dinners with the ridel glasses, but would love to attend one. I signed up on board the day before after reading about it in the bulletin.

Hello,

My husband and I will be sailing on the Equinox in May 2010. I was wondering if anyone out there has participated in any on the wine

classes or tastings, or specifically, the connoisseur dinner. Do you wait until you are on the ship and sign up then? Do you have to sign up in advance? Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks very much!

Hello we did all the wine tasting and food pairing events on our TA sailing of the Summit. Thanks to our somellier we were in bliss with the Ridel glasses. I entertain alot and everyone is surprised that one glass can make such a difference. Ridel now has a restaurant series out that are less expensive but give the wine the same great taste. If you go to customer when you board they can also help you. We will be on the Constellation in December and will sign up again.

have funicon11.gif

Claudette

We did the wine tasting class with the Riedel glasses and we were absolutely amazed by how different the wines tasted depending on the glass used. It was a very enlightening class and worth the money.

I did both the Food and Wine comparitive and the Riedel wine glass seminar, both were excellent! Have had and used several sets of Riedel glasses prior to this trip, but was never aware how much a difference mixing them up with the different foods and wines affected taste. I heard about and booked both sessions with the sommelier on board the ship. The set of glasses you get with the Riedel seminar is included in the sesssion price and a great value compared to store prices on land for the glasses! Not sure if this is standard process, but I also dined with Riedel stemware for the remainder of the cruise in the dining room after booking which was a nice treat too!

Will the Riedel glassware make my $4.99 Arbor Mist taste like Chateau Mouton-Rothschild ? :D

Not quite but it will improve it alot. Take the test and you will see. We and our 4 other friends were sold and alot of other friends who we have entertained have taken the challege and loved the Ridel glassware. Especially the wine snobs. LOLicon11.gif

Will the Riedel glassware make my $4.99 Arbor Mist taste like Chateau Mouton-Rothschild ? :D

I think you would be amazed by how different the wines tasted based on the glass. He would pour red wine into a certain shape glass and we'd taste it and then he'd pour it into a different shape glass and the taste difference was so obvious. The first glass didn't taste all that great, but once it was in the shaped glass it's supposed to be in, the wine tasted excellent. They did this for white wines and champagne also.

I did the Ridel wine tasting and it really does make a difference.....I did not know they had dinners with the ridel glasses, but would love to attend one. I signed up on board the day before after reading about it in the bulletin.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember what the cost is the Ridel tasting was, what food they served with it, how many wines were served red and white and how long it lasted?

I did both the Food and Wine comparitive and the Riedel wine glass seminar, both were excellent! Have had and used several sets of Riedel glasses prior to this trip, but was never aware how much a difference mixing them up with the different foods and wines affected taste. I heard about and booked both sessions with the sommelier on board the ship. The set of glasses you get with the Riedel seminar is included in the sesssion price and a great value compared to store prices on land for the glasses! Not sure if this is standard process, but I also dined with Riedel stemware for the remainder of the cruise in the dining room after booking which was a nice treat too!

We attended the seminar last year & purchased the set of wine glasses. It was a definite investment for us! We love them!

We are sailing on the Solstice this November & would like to order wine with dinner - but only if we know in advance we will have use of the Riedel stemware. You say you dined with the stemware for the remainder of the cruise. Was this available to anyone who asked for the Riedel glasses? I don't want to attend another seminar, nor do I need any more wine glasses. I just want to enjoy my wine each night in the appropriate glassware!

Thanks for your help.

Faith

I think you would be amazed by how different the wines tasted based on the glass. He would pour red wine into a certain shape glass and we'd taste it and then he'd pour it into a different shape glass and the taste difference was so obvious. The first glass didn't taste all that great, but once it was in the shaped glass it's supposed to be in, the wine tasted excellent. They did this for white wines and champagne also.

Maybe I am crazy, but I just can't believe that the glass makes such a big difference.

Sometimes when we order house wine in a restaurant, the first sips are too "strong" for my tastebuds, but after that it begins to taste much better. The more you drink, the better it tastes!

If I did the experiment on the ship, I would like to try the wine in the Riedel glass FIRST and see if the results are the same.

We attended the seminar last year & purchased the set of wine glasses. It was a definite investment for us! We love them!

We are sailing on the Solstice this November & would like to order wine with dinner - but only if we know in advance we will have use of the Riedel stemware. You say you dined with the stemware for the remainder of the cruise. Was this available to anyone who asked for the Riedel glasses? I don't want to attend another seminar, nor do I need any more wine glasses. I just want to enjoy my wine each night in the appropriate glassware!

Thanks for your help.

Faith

Honestly I don't know if it is standard practice just because I took the seminar. The sommeliar was wonderful with knowledge and suggestions. To say that he was given a fair amount of business by me would be an understatement! It can;t hurt to ask for the proper glassware, the worst they can say is no.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember what the cost is the Ridel tasting was, what food they served with it, how many wines were served red and white and how long it lasted?

Our wine tasting with the Reidel glasses did not have a dinner. It was held in the afternoon in the MDR. If I remember, the cost was $85 and that included the four glass set that they ship home to you. At the tables they had pieces of bread, cheese and some fruit.

Can'tstopcruising, it's not the manufacturer of the glass, but the shape of the glass that makes a difference. I've done this wine tasting on Crystal and even there, without using the real expensive glassware, the taste of the wine was totally different depending on whether you had it in the correct shaped glass.

Maybe I am crazy' date=' but I just can't believe that the glass makes such a big difference.

Sometimes when we order house wine in a restaurant, the first sips are too "strong" for my tastebuds, but after that it begins to taste much better. The more you drink, the better it tastes!

If [i']I did the experiment on the ship, I would like to try the wine in the Riedel glass FIRST and see if the results are the same.[/i]

I had the same thoughts as you until I went to one Reidel Tasting.

I am telling you, that glass is special and really, truely, honestly

does make a difference. Especially when they have you taste it in

the "other glass" AFTER you drink from the Reidel glass.

I never knew how much a particular glass could enhance the wine...

the taste, the flavor, everything about it tasted better:)

I had the same thoughts as you until I went to one Reidel Tasting.

I am telling you, that glass is special and really, truely, honestly

does make a difference. Especially when they have you taste it in

the "other glass" AFTER you drink from the Reidel glass.

I never knew how much a particular glass could enhance the wine...

the taste, the flavor, everything about it tasted better:)

I know that better restaurants use the proper shape glass, but I guess I would have to do the experiment to really believe it! But not for $85 pp. I can think of other ways to spend $170!!!!

I have my "good" wine glasses that are part of the crystal set I got when I got married. I have my everyday wineglasses (rather small, but we drink mostly white anyway) and my Passover wine glasses, which are HUGE!!

I love throwing dinner parties, and I love Reidel. I have 8 dozen of their glasses, from water glasses and martini glasses, through to 6 different wine shapes. I bought them from the wineglassguys.com in the US - even including shipping they were so much cheaper (about 50% discount) than they cost here in Australia and they make an enormous difference to the way wines taste. I bought the middle-level range (I think they are called the Vinum Series) - they have exactly the same shape as the more expensive range but different stems. they averaged about $120 a dozen if memory serves correctly - i bought them over a couple of years and they were worth every penny. My favourites are the new-world chardonney glasses which are so big i have to keep them in their boxes - they don't fit in my glasses cabinet - the smell when you get your nose in there is amazing! and my second favorite are the pinot glasses - really fabulous. anyway, my point was that if you want to purchase some, check out the wineglassguys - really great service and v. good price!

I know that better restaurants use the proper shape glass' date=' but I guess I would have to do the experiment to really believe it! But not for $85 pp. I can think of other ways to spend $170!!!!

I have my "good" wine glasses that are part of the crystal set I got when I got married. I have my everyday wineglasses (rather small, but we drink mostly white anyway) and my Passover wine glasses, which are HUGE!![/quote']

As was said before, it is not the 'glass' but the shape. The length of stem changes the angle the rim is at it when touches your lips. The shape of the bowl effect the the amount oxygenation, The opening changes the relation of your nose to to the wine. All this combines to change where and how the wine first hit the tongue (front, middle back?) when you sip.

You can get Riedel glassware that is handblown crystal, or you can go to Target and get the 'restaurant' quality. Or inbetween (lead free crystal machine manufactured)

You are correct $170 is a good amount of money, but you get a set of glasses for that price. Depending on the quality of the glassware, that can be a very good bargain.

I think everyone here would agree that they did not believe how much a different it makes until they tried it. But it is not just about the glass. It is also how to appreciate wine (Everyone can drink wine. Not every one can appreciate wine); the look, smell and taste. That alone changes the wine drinking experience

What I will say is, if I am paying ship prices for a bottle of wine, it better be in the proper Riedel glass

Bryant

I do not consider myself a wine connoisseur at all :). My wife LOVES sweet wines and drinks White Zinfandel (a hearsay for which most wine snobs would burn you at the stake for)

The important thing is that you know what type of wines you like (which you do) I do believe, however that you would like them more in the proper Riedel glass. Also, there maybe some wines that you dislike, but after tasting in Riedal you would find them much more palatable

Bryant

I do not consider myself a wine connoisseur at all :). My wife LOVES sweet wines and drinks White Zinfandel (a hearsay for which most wine snobs would burn you at the stake for)

The important thing is that you know what type of wines you like (which you do) I do believe, however that you would like them more in the proper Riedel glass. Also, there maybe some wines that you dislike, but after tasting in Riedal you would find them much more palatable

Bryant

So how many different glasses do you have? Where do you find space for all those glasses?

If I am not mistaken, I have seen Zinfandel on some very good wine lists. Are there various Zinfandels?

One of my friends loves Asti Spumante. Is that ever sweet!

When I was young, my favourite was Royal de Neuville. I haven't seen it in a long time. Don't think I would love it today!

So how many different glasses do you have? Where do you find space for all those glasses?

If I am not mistaken' date=' I have seen Zinfandel on some very good wine lists. Are there various Zinfandels?

One of my friends loves Asti Spumante. Is that ever sweet!

When I was young, my favourite was Royal de Neuville. I haven't seen it in a long time. Don't think I would love it today![/quote']

Well, yes, there are different zinfandels. It's normally a red wine, but it's also vinified as a white (or, usually, rose-ish) one; these tend to be less complex and sweeter.

Well, yes, there are different zinfandels. It's normally a red wine, but it's also vinified as a white (or, usually, rose-ish) one; these tend to be less complex and sweeter.

I don't think I have seen a red. I think I am referring to a white. Usually, when we see Zinfandel it is the pinkish sweet one that Bryant's wife likes.

I don't think I have seen a red. I think I am referring to a white. Usually' date=' when we see Zinfandel it is the pinkish sweet one that Bryant's wife likes.[/quote']

Hi again:)

I agree with Mac~the "True Zinfindel" is a red wine. The white Zin that

was so popular back in the day? Well, its a mixture and nothing like a

red. But its all about what you like;) so if you enjoy the pink

one, then go for it:D

You might do a google search and it should give you quite a few

specifics.

Archived