Which shoes for the cruise?

lawahoo2001

This question might be geared towards the ladies, but anyone can weigh in.

I have limited luggage space and leave for our trip this Saturday. I'm going to wear my tennis shoes on the plane. I will bring a pair of flip flops to wear around the cabin and maybe outdoors if it's really warm. We don't plan on attending any formal nights. What should I wear with my "business casual" outfits (which consists of black or brown slacks and a nice blouse) for dinner in the dining room - my black leather boots or black dressy sandals? I prefer to bring the sandals, as they take up less space, but I'm wondering if it's too cold to wear them. What's the average temp like at 6pm (1st sitting)? Is it generally in the 70's inside the ship, even if it's much colder outside?

I wore my sneakers on the plane (they're the heaviest and bulkiest), and took one pair of flip-flops, one pair of dressy black sandals, and one pair of black casuals (technically sandals, Cabin Creek "4-Get", but I can wear them with thin socks or sockless).

I can't speak for the Island Princess, but every ship I've been on has been as comfortable indoors as my office is -- which is to say that short-sleeved and sleeveless in the dining room was a little chilly.

I'd say - whichever shoes are the most comfortable for you, take them. Gives you an option other than the sneakers (I have to tell you, I wore my sneakers for my week of sightseeing before the cruise and on every excursion, and I got really tired of them!) The only place I wore my flip-flops was down to and in the spa.

Can you get away with tennis shoes for the excursions? I have a pair of waterproof boots, and DH has bulky hiking boots that are fairly waterproof, but they're both big and take up a lot of luggage space. We're going on a whale watching boat and a brief visit to Mendenhall glacier plus we'll be walking around the towns in other ports.

Can you get away with tennis shoes for the excursions? I have a pair of waterproof boots, and DH has bulky hiking boots that are fairly waterproof, but they're both big and take up a lot of luggage space. We're going on a whale watching boat and a brief visit to Mendenhall glacier plus we'll be walking around the towns in other ports.

You will probably be fine with your tennis shoes. Unless you are planning to do any serious hiking, I'd leave the boots at home.

the boots I propose to bring are not hiking boots. they're dressy leather ladies' boots.

Personally, I'd bring the black sandals. Boots take up too much space.

Regarding your sneakers.....one of the hints I read on cruise critic was to buy waterproofing spray and spray them before you go. Supposedly works great! Also, Budget Queen recommends if your shoes get wet to stuff towels in them overnight and they'll be dry in the morning!

Have a fun trip! We leave Sunday so we're in the midst of packing. I've never had such a hard time packing for a trip as this one but I'm sure once that job is behind us, it'll be fun, fun, fun all the way! I am so excited to see Alaska!

Safe travels!

I'm going with the sandals because they take up less space. Saw that tip on the waterproofing of the sneakers and BQ's tip on stuffing the wet shoes with washcloths. I bought the spray from Target, then read the label and saw a warning that it may cause cancer! So, I returned that thing back to Target. I'll just be stuffing my shoes if they get really wet. :)

Like I've said on other threads, if weak ankles are an issue (as in my case) there is no alternative to packing hiking boots for some of the exursions ------------for those of you not facing that issue, I envy you!! We are having to pack an additional suitcase just for shoes for trip.......ugh!!

Happy cruising all!

jj

Someone mentioned flip flops for the spa; I'd been assuming they provide cotton spa shoes. Do I need to bring flip flops?

Hi:) I have never been on a cruise that provided spa shoes

and that is close to 30 cruises.....

I always wear my own shoes to and from the spa.

I wear a lightweight clog or mule on my flights as I want easy on/easy

off;).

As for dinner, I also recommend the sandals. I wear a pair of black

sandals for evenings 99% of the time. Even to Alaska:)which I will

be sailing to again in September:D This will be my 3rd time there

and I am so excited!

We just returned from the Whittier-Vancouver Coral Princess cruise. It was rainy one day and a bit drizzly another. I brought a pair of running shoes and my Naot walking shoes. I wore my Naot's the entire time! No need to bring 5 pair of shoes. The walking shoes were nice enough to wear at dinner too!

We just returned from the Whittier-Vancouver Coral Princess cruise. It was rainy one day and a bit drizzly another. I brought a pair of running shoes and my Naot walking shoes. I wore my Naot's the entire time! No need to bring 5 pair of shoes. The walking shoes were nice enough to wear at dinner too!

Hi:)glad you had a good time but for those of us who enjoy dresses

and skirts for dinner I would say walking shoes would not be a good

match.;) And even when wearing slacks to dinner, most of mine are

black in a nice knit material. Sandals always go with me for dinner:)

There is more than one type of waterproofing spray. Look around a bit for a spray that doesn't contain the "bad" stuff. It's out there. Try sporting goods areas. We use one called "silicone water-guard" which we spray on our runners and jackets. It contains NO CFCs (the "bad" guys). I believe I found the last can at a Rite-Aid drug store. Sure beats having to over pack with boots.

Happy Sails!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

These shoes from Merrell are the perfect shoe for Alaska. They are as comfortable as a tennis shoe, they are slip on so perfect for going through the airport (no tying), great tread for walking on glaciers and light hiking, and they are already water resistant! Plus most important - they are SO COMFORTABLE! I've had mine for 4 years and they are my favorite cruise shoe. I am 5'8 and overweight, so my poor feet take a beating. I originally bought them for our trip 4 years ago to Alaska, but these shoes have also handled 3 weeks in Europe on my feet every day all day long except the one sea day.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/W-F-F-S-SH/7074W/5417/Womens/Jungle-Moc/Midnight/J60826

• Slip Lasted Construction

• Water Resistant Pigskin Leather Upper

• Heavy Nylex Lining

• Elastic Stretch Bands

• 4.5mm Anatomical Footbed

• Compression Molded EVA Footframe

• Air Cushion Midsole

• Merrell Jungle Runner™ Sole/Sticky Rubber

Archived