Clothing Question

PreciousPetal

I've only done the Caribbean run on the QM2 (twice), so I can't speak for the more formal TA's, but I've worn shorts in the Queen's Grill for breakfast and lunch........always longer length. I've not been the only one. Actually I've been amazed at what I've seen worn in there. IMHO, if what you're wearing is in good taste (??!!) and not a far off variation of the dress code, you'll be fine.

Whilst I do not wish to either open a debate, or deny observations, here is the official line.

What do I wear on board during the day?

You'll need to pack a range of summer or warmer clothes, depending on your itinerary and the time of year you travel. On board, during the day, you'll probably find yourself most comfortable in casual wear or swimwear. In the ships' main restaurants attire for breakfast and lunch is casual wear (excluding shorts). In the King's Court on Queen Mary 2, and in the Lido Cafe on Queen Victoria, casual attire (including shorts) may be worn.

It's funny, even though I'm used to more casual cruises, where shorts are allowed, I have no problem with that. If I'm having a good time in the sun and don't feel like changing to casual pants for lunch, I'm sure they will serve me more than gruel in the King's Court :p

Serious question for Mudhen, not to steal the thread, but you have experience with the Caribbean cruises. Most of the discussion I see about evening wear focuses on the TAs. Do you find the Caribbean cruises tend to be more casual in the evening or about the same?

Whilst I do not wish to either open a debate, or deny observations, here is the official line.

What do I wear on board during the day?

You'll need to pack a range of summer or warmer clothes, depending on your itinerary and the time of year you travel. On board, during the day, you'll probably find yourself most comfortable in casual wear or swimwear. In the ships' main restaurants attire for breakfast and lunch is casual wear (excluding shorts). In the King's Court on Queen Mary 2, and in the Lido Cafe on Queen Victoria, casual attire (including shorts) may be worn.

There is an official line, and yes it is in print in the brochure, HOWEVER, I have seen many wearing shorts for lunch and breakfast, OK, not on a TA, but we just returned from Norway and most had shorts and T shirts on during both Lunch & breakfast.

To be honest I dont see a problem with it, I might note that on formal nights, some men had white suits on, tuxs, dark suits and jackets, NONE were refused entry to the Britannia , on walking the deck after dinner a lot had changed back into shorts or casual cothes, Cunard has changed a lot in the past year, reductions now bring many who just dont want to dree to much.

The above title uttered with tongue firmly implanted in cheek...hahaha!

I think the Caribbean might be a little more laid back than some of the other cruises. Since I've only done the Caribbean, I don't really know for sure, however I think I'd call it "County Club Classic"....if I had to call it anything. Really quite a mix, some very formal, some only barely formal, but everyone looked very nice. The QM2 is the most formal of all the ships we've been on, and we've been on lots, from the sublime to the ridiculous. Personally, I'd rather see a pair of well pressed, knee length silk shorts than jeans and I guess at breakfast or lunch jeans qualify as slacks.I never got any sideways glances (that I was aware of) or felt out of place when I was wearing shorts. Sorry if I'm breaking "the code", I guess I can be expected to be keel hauled on our next cruise for the infraction but I'll be sure to dress down the rock stars that are in the suites when they show up less than properly dressed...

Archived