Alcohol and a 20 year old

pugaddict

My son and girlfriend are comng with us to Bermuda in August. She will be 20. She would like to have a glass of wine occasionally. Will a signed letter of permission from her parents allow her to consume alcohol? Anyone have an experience with situation? Please share your thoughts and knowledge. Thanks.

My son and girlfriend are comng with us to Bermuda in August. She will be 20. She would like to have a glass of wine occasionally. Will a signed letter of permission from her parents allow her to consume alcohol? Anyone have an experience with situation? Please share your thoughts and knowledge. Thanks.

See this thread...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1013686

She would not have a problem getting beer or wine on board. In bermuda she can drink whatever she wants.

Recently on the Spirit I saw kids that didnt' appear to be more than 16 drinking beer. I dont' know for sure that they were under 18 but the certainly looked to be much closer in age to my 14 year old than to my 19 year old!

Have a great trip

For starters, since she is under 21 her parents need to sign and have notarized a consent form allowing her to even travel with you on the ship. Beyond that, her parents or legal guardian must give permission for her to consume alcohol.

From NCL's FAQS:

What are NCL's Age Requirements?

Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing under-age purchase or consumption of alcohol**, preventing under-age gaming activities and preventing violations of any ship's rules. Passengers must be age 21 to purchase or consume alcohol and age 18 to gamble on the ship. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Consent & Release Form (pdf) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

Kids under two cruise at a substantially reduced fare and certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on NCL ships.

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom without someone over the age of 21 in the same stateroom if they purchased the cruise under the family plan and have at least one person who is 21 years or older in the adjoining stateroom. The age limit will be waived for married couples less than 21 years of age provided proof of marriage is presented to an NCL representative at the pier.

**With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, NCL permits guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of an accompanying parent or legal guardian (Parental Consent) on the same sailing when the vessel is outside the US state territorial waters (3 miles). Complete details and the Special Consent Form are available on board at the Reception Desk.

She would not have a problem getting beer or wine on board. In bermuda she can drink whatever she wants.

Recently on the Spirit I saw kids that didnt' appear to be more than 16 drinking beer. I dont' know for sure that they were under 18 but the certainly looked to be much closer in age to my 14 year old than to my 19 year old!

Have a great trip

Other than the legal drinking age in Bermuda being 18, this is very bad advice. Regardless of how old some of the kids might have looked to you, they had to either be at least 21 or have their parent's permission if they were 18-20. The cruise line knows exactly how old everyone is, because you must have either a passport or birth certficate to board, and minors are issued a room card that will not allow them to purchase a drink.

See my post above, from the NCL FAQS.

While on the spirit on June 12th my son and his friend did not have written permission to purchase alcohol but they both were able to purchase beer.

The corner was cut off the card at the beginning of the cruise to signify that they were under 21 but they were still able to purchase.

Now they were with me and I did allow them to each buy 1 beer onboard but the server didnt' bat an eye when he swiped the card.

I did get written permission from the parents and had it notarized and faxed to NCL as stated on their website. I brought the papers with me as stated but was never asked for the notarized paperwork.

I want to clarify that I was not advising the people to let the girl drink while in bermuda. I only wanted to point out that she COULD drink whatever she wanted on the island without consent.

While on the spirit on June 12th my son and his friend did not have written permission to purchase alcohol but they both were able to purchase beer.

The corner was cut off the card at the beginning of the cruise to signify that they were under 21 but they were still able to purchase.

Now they were with me and I did allow them to each buy 1 beer onboard but the server didnt' bat an eye when he swiped the card.

I did get written permission from the parents and had it notarized and faxed to NCL as stated on their website. I brought the papers with me as stated but was never asked for the notarized paperwork.

I want to clarify that I was not advising the people to let the girl drink while in bermuda. I only wanted to point out that she COULD drink whatever she wanted on the island without consent.

As you said, you were with them when they bought the beer, so the server probably bent the rules. After all, you could have handed the server your card instead. I'll bet they would not have been served if they weren't with an adult, and if the server was caught doing something like that I suspect he would be out of a job very quickly.

We were just on the Dawn with our 4 kids --- 24, 22, 20 and 18. Even though we gave the two younger ones our permission (their cards said PC) they were only allowed to purchase one beer at a time --- never any beer helmets, which I thought was a great idea. When they went to Salsa for dinner, the waiter checked their ages and wouldn't give the younger ones the margarita that comes with the meal since the PC only applys to beer and wine.

Other than the legal drinking age in Bermuda being 18, this is very bad advice. Regardless of how old some of the kids might have looked to you, they had to either be at least 21 or have their parent's permission if they were 18-20. The cruise line knows exactly how old everyone is, because you must have either a passport or birth certficate to board, and minors are issued a room card that will not allow them to purchase a drink.

See my post above, from the NCL FAQS.

Your kidding right? The other older teens or 21 year olds buy it for the other kids. I took away my daughter's privledges to buy/drink wine or beer on our last cruise on the Dawn, after she lied to me about her purchases of alcohol by the pool....it might of slowed her down but it didn't stop her. A beautiful 18, 19, or 20 year old girl will never have a shortage of young men lining up to buy her drinks. I know it is not Norwegian's responsibility to watch my child, so I spent a considerable amount of time on that cruise playing detective.....but she was able to drink throughout the cruise over my objection......thankfully she did not go too crazy...beause in the end NCL can throw you off for violating the liquor policy.

Your kidding right? The other older teens or 21 year olds buy it for the other kids. I took away my daughter's privledges to buy/drink wine or beer on our last cruise on the Dawn, after she lied to me about her purchases of alcohol by the pool....it might of slowed her down but it didn't stop her. A beautiful 18, 19, or 20 year old girl will never have a shortage of young men lining up to buy her drinks. I know it is not Norwegian's responsibility to watch my child, so I spent a considerable amount of time on that cruise playing detective.....but she was able to drink throughout the cruise over my objection......thankfully she did not go too crazy...beause in the end NCL can throw you off for violating the liquor policy.

Your daughter made a decision to evade the rules, so that means I'm subjected to "Your (sic) kidding right?" from you? :rolleyes:

We've sailed twice on NCL with our children and their friends.

On the Sun(2008) we had signed parental consent forms and both friends(20) were able to get PC cards with my consent.

On the Jewel(2009) we had the signed parental consent forms again, but they we're not able to drink because the minor's parent must be on the sailing. I understand from the manager on board that each ship's staff determines how strictly they uphold that rule.

But you did say, it appeared to you kids not over 16 were drinking. You said it yourself, the cards are marked. NO, kids under 18 can not buy or drink booze of any kind on NCL ships. Of course I guess if someone buys a drink for them and it goes undetected that would be different, just like anywhere, this can happen. As a rule it does not. I am sure the server is used to seeing these cards, he/she doesn't have to pay much attention.

Nita

Archived