London to Dover question

We are trying to decide the best way to journey from London to Dover for our cruise. Our options are the train or the bus as we simply cannot afford a taxi or private driver.

The National Express bus is the cheapest, but the slowest. On looking at the National Express site, it seems to give several pick up locations. Are these legitimate stops where you can board the bus, or do you have to get to Victoria to catch the bus??.

As for the train, the price is not that bad, but we do have a lot of luggage. Where does the luggage go when you are riding??> Is there a compartment for it, or are you simply holding it right next to you for the entire trip??.

One last question, if we have to get to Victoria to catch either the bus or the train, we need a taxi. Upon arriving at Victoria, are there people who can help you with your luggage, or are there luggage carts?. I have a bad leg and it is impossible for me to haul a couple of suitcases at one time. How do you get your luggage from the taxi to the bus or train??

On most UK main trains there are luggage racks at the end of the carriage - not particularly big. If they arent available it will be a case of keeping your luggage with you on the train near your seat (and not in the aisle).

Victoria station is one of the main ones however Im not sure they have luggage trolleys etc or people to help you - UK just doesnt do it that way really. Taxis will be plentiful and any assistance will depend on how nice a driver you get - like anywhere in Europe really.

Coaches are usually comfy air con etc (unlike trains) but again assistance would be minimal. Would take a lot longer and I expect the stops you mention are pick up points.

Trains are usually clean with refreshments/toilets etc and would be a lot quicker. My Aunt does a longish journey on her own with luggage and the bit she finds the most difficult is not all stations have lifts (elavators) so stairs are a nightmare.

Also Im sure you have thought of this but check where in Dover the coach/train comes in compared to the port - I dont know where they are in relation but it may help you make your mind up.

Hope this is of some help - good luck!

Just to add to the above post:

- We did the coach a few weeks ago from Victoria station to Dover. It was a toss up between the train and coach, but the coach won because it was way cheaper (GBP8/person - funsaver fare vs GBP25/person for the train). Yes, the coach was slower, but not by much so it did not really bother us.

- There are no porters/luggage handlers at the train and coach stations. You are pretty much left to manage on your own, so you may want to keep this in mind when planning your packing (try to travel as light as you can). Also, there are train/tube stations that do not even have lifts or ramps so keep this in mind.

- We took the bus from Earl's court to Victoria coach station. We could have taken the tube, but we thought that taking the bus was easier considering we had to negotiate steps and such with our suitcases. It WAS easier. So, you may want to consider this option as well. We did not do the cab because we are just not cab people and we are cheap.

- I would suggest, if taking the coach, to board at Victoria station so that it will be easier to get the best seats. Most people board at Victoria.

- You might want to see if your ship offers transfers from London to the pier. You may pay a bit more over what you would pay for the train or coach, but it may be worth it for the convenience. Remember that with the coach or train, you would need to do 3 transfers: taxi/bus/tube to coach/train station -> get on coach/train to Dover -> taxi to Dover pier. This may prove too difficult for you considering you need to lug your suitcases around with a bad leg.

- Do you mind if I ask where are you staying? Maybe some other posters can provide you with better suggestions/recommendations if they have this info...

We are trying to decide the best way to journey from London to Dover for our cruise. Our options are the train or the bus as we simply cannot afford a taxi or private driver.

The National Express bus is the cheapest, but the slowest. On looking at the National Express site, it seems to give several pick up locations. Are these legitimate stops where you can board the bus, or do you have to get to Victoria to catch the bus??.

As for the train, the price is not that bad, but we do have a lot of luggage. Where does the luggage go when you are riding??> Is there a compartment for it, or are you simply holding it right next to you for the entire trip??.

One last question, if we have to get to Victoria to catch either the bus or the train, we need a taxi. Upon arriving at Victoria, are there people who can help you with your luggage, or are there luggage carts?. I have a bad leg and it is impossible for me to haul a couple of suitcases at one time. How do you get your luggage from the taxi to the bus or train??

The luggage just goes at the end of the carriage. Last couple of times it was so quiet on the train, we just put it on the seats opposite us.

Also, I believe the trains to Dover go from both Victoria and Charing Cross stations in London, so check which is closer, and save yourself some effort. http://nationalrail.co.uk/ and pick "London -- All Stations" as the start and "Dover Priory" as the destination. As long as you travel outside of rush hour, it probably wont be busy.

WE are staying at the Hilton Tower Bridge (free nights coupons), and I would think the tube is out of the question to get to Victoria, we would need a cab.

Plus, we are going on a Friday, probably during the rush hour. We were looking to catch an 8:30 AM bus, and the web site says we should get to Dover about 11:00. Is that reasonable?

] I think NCL wants something like $160 EACH to do the transfers, and that is just way out of our league.

Thanks for all the advice, it sure helps.

] I think NCL wants something like $160 EACH to do the transfers, and that is just way out of our league.

Thanks for all the advice, it sure helps.

I would double check that. NCL charges $189 pp for a night at the Holiday Inn Kensington, which includes breakfast and transfer to the Dover terminal.

We did the opposite, Dover (we actually left from Canterbury, but it would be about the same) to London and then on to Heathrow, using the National Express. We chose it because it was so much cheaper and didn't involve a complicated tube journey to change trains to Heathrow.

I can't help you with the stops; our itinerary listed many stops, but we stopped at only about three, very briefly. I don't know why they didn't stop at the others. The trip was about three hours, as yours is, and we enjoyed the drive. The bus was comfortable and not crowded. We left Canterbury about 8 and got to London around 11, I believe.

A perk is that when you get to the bus the driver takes your luggage and stows it under the bus for you; no lugging it up and down steps. He also unloads it for you on arrival.

Victoria Station, where we had to change buses, was easy to maneuver and not huge, but if you have mobility problems it might be tough. Arrivals are on one side of the street, departures on the other, so we had to roll our luggage across the street and a short ways to the next coach.

I'm sorry that I can't help about trolleys or porters; we didn't need any and I didn't notice if they were available. It seems to me that there were, but I can't guarantee it. Maybe you could look at the station's website to find out? Either Victoria Station or National Express?

We were happy with National Express, if you have the extra time. You will need a taxi to get from the bus station in Dover to the dock.

WE are staying at the Hilton Tower Bridge (free nights coupons), and I would think the tube is out of the question to get to Victoria, we would need a cab.

Plus, we are going on a Friday, probably during the rush hour. We were looking to catch an 8:30 AM bus, and the web site says we should get to Dover about 11:00. Is that reasonable?

From where you're staying, you could board the train from Charing Cross to Dover at a closer station called "WATERLOO EAST" (the east is important, it's not the main Waterloo stn). It's less than a mile from your hotel (a quick taxi ride).

also, you'll be travelling AGAINST rushhour so the train should be quiet. A 9:30 train will have you in dover around 1115

WE are staying at the Hilton Tower Bridge (free nights coupons)

Plus, we are going on a Friday, probably during the rush hour.

From where you're staying, you could board the train from Charing Cross to Dover at a closer station called "WATERLOO EAST" (the east is important, it's not the main Waterloo stn). It's less than a mile from your hotel (a quick taxi ride).
I think you might be able to do even better than that. The current timetable has direct trains from London Bridge to Dover Priory at 0902 and 0938 on weekdays (and other earlier ones too). If you can be rolling in time to get the 0938, just walk along Tooley Street to London Bridge station (perhaps 300 yards or so) and get the train from there.

In fact, if you're prepared to walk to London Bridge station, it may be just as easy to start there as trying to get to Waterloo East, Charing Cross or Victoria, even if you don't get any direct train to Dover Priory. Journeys from London Bridge should involve only a single change, often at Tonbridge. And that shouldn't be a difficult change as it's probably a same-platform or cross-platform change; Tonbridge is not a big station.

Can anyone tell me the distance to the cruise ship from the train station or the bus drop off.

We will travel light and walk daily. We are coming from the Victoria station area.

Thanks

Here is a map: http://www.whitecliffscountry.org.uk/cruise_dover/cruise_map.aspx

Can't really tell you the distance because we have never done it. We considered doing it, based on the fact this map says it is only about a 15-minute walk to the pier, but decided not to, because we thought it was just too much hassle. And we were right in our decision - I do not think we would have enjoyed the walk at all, especially with suit cases in tow.

From Dover Priory Train Station to the Western Docks at Dover, with your luggage in tow, is quite a distance. Just walking with no luggage is probably a 25 min walk alone.

Personally I've done the walk from Dover Priory Train Station to the Eastern Docks and that walk was about 25mins. Much longer than I ever thought it would be and I live near Dover.

You might be better off, getting a taxi, outside the train station. Your be less flustered, when you arrive at the Docks.

I think you might be able to do even better than that. The current timetable has direct trains from London Bridge to Dover Priory at 0902 and 0938 on weekdays (and other earlier ones too). If you can be rolling in time to get the 0938, just walk along Tooley Street to London Bridge station (perhaps 300 yards or so) and get the train from there.

In fact, if you're prepared to walk to London Bridge station, it may be just as easy to start there as trying to get to Waterloo East, Charing Cross or Victoria, even if you don't get any direct train to Dover Priory. Journeys from London Bridge should involve only a single change, often at Tonbridge. And that shouldn't be a difficult change as it's probably a same-platform or cross-platform change; Tonbridge is not a big station.

Indeed. Obviously I wasn't looking early enough. All the early trains stop at LBG/London Bridge, but the 0938 is the last one that does (at least the ones right now do, but not in August for some reason). Either way, Globaliser has the best journey, 300 yards (less than a boat length for you cruisers) to London Bridge Station, and a leasurely 1h38m on the train.

Also, for the date I picked in August they're now showing a bus for the last few miles from Folkstone to Dover (obviously for track replacement).

We will be taking the train from London to Dover and I can tell that we will need to take a taxi from the train station to the pier. Does anyone know if the taxis in London and Dover take credit cards or will we need Pounds? Thank you for any information you have.

While I realize you are looking for the most economical way to get from the airport to Dover, you might want to rethink that issue and just save a little more for the trip.

My friend and I are both mobility challenged, not totally handicapped or incapacitated, but not able to walk great distances. And with luggage in tow, we had a terrible time in the Med last year. Showed us our limitations real quick.

For the Baltic cruise next year, I have decided to just bite the bullet and pay the taxi fare. After paying thousands for the cruise, airfare, tours, etc, decided to not have the hassles of trying to get there ourselves. Right now it's $98 one way to Dover. We pay around $50 to get to the airport in the States, so double the cost, but worth it for our back and comfort.

http://www.taxisgatwick.net/AirportBooking.aspx

Have a great trip whatever you decide!

What train are we talking about?? and is there a link where we can see the times and costs etc?? And again, if we take the train, what do we do with our luggage?? Is it kept by you at your seat, or in a compartment on that particular car??

What train are we talking about?? and is there a link where we can see the times and costs etc?? And again, if we take the train, what do we do with our luggage?? Is it kept by you at your seat, or in a compartment on that particular car??

National Rail will take you from London Bridge (LBG) to Dover Priory (DVP). As suggested to you before by Globaliser, this is probably the easiest way for you to get from Hilton tower bridge as you would only need to walk about 300 yards to the train station.

Here is the link to the National Rail Journey Planner to see times and costs: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

When planning your journey, try to plan for the least number of changes to avoid having to lug your suitcases around, and for the convenience.

And the link to their luggage policy: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/luggage_animals.html

As for the luggage on trains, there is a compartment at the end of each car. You would need to be able to handle your luggage on your own on the train. Also, if there is not enough space, you would need to have it next to you and make sure that it is not blocking the aisles.

Is Victoria station and Victoria Coach station the same thing? We have booked National Express from the Victoria Coach station but just realized it may be different. We planned on taking the tube to Victoria station.. Does this sound right?

No the two stations are not the same. I've done both the bus (called a coach in the UK) and the train. I find the train hard too manage due to issues with steps. However, you have a luggage limitation on the coach. That said, I've had very good experiences with the coach drivers so far as helping me with my luggage and making sure I knew where I was going when I got off the coach.

You will need a taxi in Dover to get to the pier. The taxis are standard size for the UK (not large) and can only handle 2 people and a reasonable amount of luggage.

If you have too much luggage, it will be a problem for you on this part of your trip. Cut way back if you can do so. You can not count on a porter or any help at all even at your hotel.

Orchid

You have been very helpful and I greatly appreciate all your advice. I went to the National Rail site you gave me, but I have a couple of possible problems. I tracked the train, leaving from London Bridge to Dover. It says it has one change, but according to the site, the change is to a bus for the final leg of the trip. On looking at the luggage policy for the bus, it says 3 small pieces of luggage. we will have much more than that. Is that going to be a problem>>

Second, on the return trip, we would like to go right into Victoria, but I cannot seem to make that adjustment to the schedule. It wants to bring me back to London Bridge. I can do both for about 59 pounds, which is very reasonable, but how would I get to Victoria instead of London Bridge>> Would I have to book two separate trips, which would make the cost double.

Plus, on the return trip from Dover, they also mention 2 changes. How are these changes usually>> Is it just like going across the platform, or are there stairs involved??

Sorry for all these details, but things like this will determine how we need to travel.

Is Victoria station and Victoria Coach station the same thing? We have booked National Express from the Victoria Coach station but just realized it may be different. We planned on taking the tube to Victoria station.. Does this sound right?

Victoria station is NOT the same as Victoria Coach station. If you are taking the tube to the coach station, you would need to go to street level and then walk over to the coach station, which would be really inconvenient if you have suitcases to lug around because you would need to negotiate some stairs.

It may be better for you to take the bus to Victoria Coach station so that you would not need to walk too far. Go to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ to and use the journey planner to see if it would be convenient for you to take the bus instead of the tube.

We took the bus from Earls court to Victoria Coach station a few weeks ago and we found it easy. You just need to be able to carry your luggage into the bus. The only problem I can see with this is that if you have a lot of luggage, and the bus is packed, then you are out of luck, in which case, maybe a cab would be better for you. We went on a Sunday morning so the bus we took was pretty empty.

I went to the National Rail site you gave me, but I have a couple of possible problems. I tracked the train, leaving from London Bridge to Dover. It says it has one change, but according to the site, the change is to a bus for the final leg of the trip. On looking at the luggage policy for the bus, it says 3 small pieces of luggage. we will have much more than that. Is that going to be a problem>>

That does look like a bit of a problem, plus it looks like the lifts at FKC are out of order at the moment, so it may pose more problems for you. Perhaps you may instead want to consider taking the coach or train from Victoria Station. If you do decide to take the coach or train from Victoria station, you would need to cab it there - I do not think there is any other way to get there that does not involve multiple transfers on the tube and bus and/or negotiating stairs. (I could be mistaken, so perhaps the other posters can correct me if I am wrong). If you take the train from Victoria Station you would be able to get a direct train to DVP.

Second, on the return trip, we would like to go right into Victoria, but I cannot seem to make that adjustment to the schedule. It wants to bring me back to London Bridge. I can do both for about 59 pounds, which is very reasonable, but how would I get to Victoria instead of London Bridge>> Would I have to book two separate trips, which would make the cost double.

You would need to book 2 separate trips if your outward journey is different from your return journey.

Is there any reason you wanted to go to Victoria on your return journey? Are you planning on going to the airport perhaps? If you are planning on going to Heathrow, I would suggest you consider doing the NCL transfer instead. We thought about taking the train/coach from Dover but decided to do NCL's transfer instead because we thought the extra cost was worth it considering we did not have to do multiple transfers just to get to Heathrow (taxi to Dover train/coach station -> train/coach to Victoria -> tube/coach from Victoria to Heathrow). Plus, the train journey would have cost GBP25 each + taxi fare to the train station (GBP6-8) vs $80 for the transfer that will take you door to door from ship to airport without the hassle. NCL would be about a 2-hr journey vs at least a 3.50 hr journey for the train or coach)

Plus, on the return trip from Dover, they also mention 2 changes. How are these changes usually>> Is it just like going across the platform, or are there stairs involved??
Personally, I would not bother with the train if I have to do changes. It just wastes so much time and can prove to be a hassle if you have luggage to deal with.

I am not familiar with all the stations so I could not tell you about what the changes would be like. This has always been my approach: If I am not familiar with a particular station, or if it is a pretty big station, I always assume that I would have to negotiate stairs, so I tend not to book journeys with many changes if I have luggage to haul around (I have learned from experience that it can really wear me down especially if the train journey is just part of a bigger journey)

Hope that helps.

Orchid

You have been very helpful and I greatly appreciate all your advice. I went to the National Rail site you gave me, but I have a couple of possible problems. I tracked the train, leaving from London Bridge to Dover. It says it has one change, but according to the site, the change is to a bus for the final leg of the trip. On looking at the luggage policy for the bus, it says 3 small pieces of luggage. we will have much more than that. Is that going to be a problem>>

Sorry for all these details, but things like this will determine how we need to travel.

Changes on trains between London Bridge or Victoria and Dover are very unusual, normally these are direct services.

Two possibilities that immediately come to mind is that you are selecting the wrong Dover Station, (Dover Priory) and/or you are travelling at the weekend and track maintenance is scheduled prompting a bus replacement service.

Archived