Zip Zip Zip

Fishndawg

Want to find a good zipline excursion on our next cruise to St. Lucia. Can anyone who has already been on one recommend either the ship's tour or a private tour operator (and website)? THX

Serenity picked us up at the port and drove us up to the rainforest. They purchased our tickets then waited for us while we zipped. It was a blast!!!

We used Frank's St. Lucia Taxi and Tours. The zip is about 45 minutes from port in Dennery. He gets you there before the ship tours, so we were done about 10:30. It's 7 zips and 2 suspended bridges; all of the zips were a good distance - I think the last one is about 800 ft. and goes above the tops of the trees!

We then had the option of going back to the cruise ship, or Frank will take you to a beach or on a tour of the North Island for an additional cost. We dropped 4 people off at the cruise ship (I think we had 16 in our group; big passenger van) and then he took the rest of us to Reduit Beach (Rodney Bay). If we were to do it again, I'd try to find a different beach; this one was just way too crowded for our taste.

BTW, if you like beer, make sure you stop at the Piton Beer Garden in the little shopping center at the port. 2 beers for $3!

• 3 weeks later...
can you take a camera on the zipline in st. lucia? We have it booked but I remember reading on some other zipline courses sometimes you were not allowed to take a camera. Wonder if that is true here?

We did the zipline a couple of years ago and my husband took pictures and short videos with his camera. Not sure if anything has changed since then or not.

The zipline was a blast!

He did the first zip with the camera in his pocket (cargo shorts with a closing flap). He wanted to feel comfortable with it before he used the camera. On the other zips he just made sure he had the strap around his wrist. He didn't have any problems at all. Since the camera can take a short video he did that on one of the zips. We didn't have a video camera with us, but since they are so small now it probably would be easy to do.

My "older" ;) sister who won't ride any type of roller coaster ride did it. I was surprised she was willing to go but she was all for it. She screamed like a little girl the whole way, but she had a blast.

We did the Zipline through Carnival ($99 p/p) back in March. It consisted of 11 Ziplines varying in lengths & heights. We had a blast! My husband brought our small digital camera and took pictures & some videos. He kept the camera in it's case strapped to his belt.

Karen

We are going to take our two sons on a cruise on Carnival Victory next year, and I really want to try ziplines. I am scared of heights but force myself to do things to try and conquer this, so last March went parasailing and loved it. Can someone tell me about how secure these lines feel, and how fast they go? And the tour folks...are they there to help you or are you basically on your own? Also please comment on the "fitness angle" as I am no athlete but walk for exercise. Thanks in advance.

Good for you on wanting to conquer those fears! That's great.

The crew are there to help and they do a great job. They will put the harness on you and make sure it's fastened. When you are on each platform they will attach the lines and check them. They will explain how to hold on. When you approach the next platform there will be another guide there to help stable you when you stop. They will unhook you and rehook you so you are never on your own for checking that. Actually they will hook you to a monkey tail (attached to the tree) before they release the line from you. They don't take the monkey tail off until you are hooked up for the next line, so you are attached at all times.

The only physical parts I encounterd (I am no way physically fit) was the 1 time I stopped too soon. I had to turn myself around (the easy part) and then go hand over hand pulling myself to the platform. I was still connected to the line and I'm sure if I truly couldn't of done it they would have sent someone out to push me along (at least I hope they would have). There was 1 flight of stairs that I was very tired after climbing but I took them slow and made it up them.

Don't worry, go on this and enjoy yourself. You and your sons will have a blast. It is a great trip and worth doing!

LOVED IT. Have to say, my wife is scared of heights, does not like roller coasters and is not real fond of going fast with no control and she can't wait to try it again. It was a blast when we did it in July through Franks' Tours and went to treetop adventures in Dennery. We ended up being the only ones on the tour and did all 11 lines before the rest of the cruise people got there. It was $80 p/p which was taxi and zip fees. Very secure harness, some flights of steps to reach a higher point 2 suspended (very safe bridges). One line was over 1100 ft long but one was very short and everything in between. about 150 ft or so off the ground. We took our camera (neck strap that we wore and our Guide would take our pictures together throughout various spots.

Only advise is try not to stop because that pulleying yourself to the end is hard work.

you might want to check out the age/weight limits (I think it started at age 8 but not 100% sure.

Enjoy

Archived