Accesability of Chacchoben Ruins

lostinplace

Hi-

We're visiting Costa Maya in January and are trying to find out what the Chacchoben Ruins are like. My mom doesn't walk far or fast. How much could she see with a minimal amount of walking? Are there places to sit? How is the shade? Could we bring a wheelchair along, or is the ground not smooth enough?

Thanks...

Hi: We visited these ruins from the Carnival last week and loved it. We had the most wonderful guide who had grown up in the area and was very passionate about his culture and reverence for the site. As for accessibility, I don't think I would recommend it for someone with mobility problems. There is not a lot of walking, but it is very rough with stones and roots, that are very slippery (it was quite misty when we visited). Also, towards the end of the tour where you visit Temple#1, you have to go up some very rough stone steps to the main platform. A wheelchair would definitely not work. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Regards

Hi,

We'll be in Costa Maya this coming week (sailing on Jewel of the Seas) and I was wondering how far the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins are from where the ship docks? Also, how long would it take to tour them if we decided to hire a taxi or a tour and go on our own?

We just returned. It is about 75 minutes by taxi to the Chacchoben Ruins. We got a taxi for $100. The taxi took us from Majahaul to the ruins, waited the 90 minutes we were there then took us back to Majahaul. The taxi held 4 people so $100 isn't so much for that amount of time. There was a young woman who approached us and offered to be our guide through the ruins-- she was only $5.00 a person. She was very knowledgable.

Archived