Must eat at restaurants? Denali - Anchorage - Seward

tranceFusion

We weren't in Seward, but in Anchorage we had evening meals at both Phyllis's Cafe & Salmon Bake and at the Snow Goose. Both were wonderful. The Snow Goose is a little bit nicer in atmosphere, but the food was about the same at both. At Phyllis's my son had King Crab legs. They were great. So was the clam chowder.

In Denali the only place we really liked was Lynx Creek Pizza. The restaurants at the Westmark were just ok. The Subway sandwiches didn't seem as good as the ones we get at home (don't know why) and The Great Alaska Fish place was good, but not great and seating is limited to a few picnic tables inside the restaurant.

Acroos from Princess Lodge up a hill-they pick up- is a great rib place that serves other food. indoors and outdoors eating. i like the outdoors-met nice people at the tables. princess will call them and you get picked up.

also ate at the good sub shop - not subway-good sub.

I just went to check out Phyllis's...looks interesting...I clicked on their menu however, there were no prices...can you give me sort of an idea of their prices.

Also, we are staying at the Captain Cook, do you know if it is within walking distance from there?

Thanks!

We didn't make it to Denali, but spent a week each in Seward and Anchorage. In Seward, Apollo's and Thorn's Showcase Lounge were highly recommended by locals and absolutely fabulous! Both are in downtown, about a mile or so from the port. Thorn's looks like just a bar from the outside, but inside it is sort of reminiscent of an old speakeasy in decor, and the food is excellent!

In Anchorage, we had our hands-down favorite meal of the entire trip at Snow City Cafe. It's at the corner of 4th and L, 4th being the main downtown strip. It's really hard to go wrong with food in Alaska though, everything we ate was terrific.

We didn't do Phyllis's, and we heard mixed reviews. The place looks nice enough, but seems pricey compared to similar food at other restaurants. Again, though, we didn't eat there, so I can't say from firsthand experience.

In Denali the only place we really liked was Lynx Creek Pizza. The restaurants at the Westmark were just ok. The Subway sandwiches didn't seem as good as the ones we get at home (don't know why) and The Great Alaska Fish place was good, but not great and seating is limited to a few picnic tables inside the restaurant.

You missed the best resturant in Alaska and one of the best in the country. It is 8 miles from the entrance to the park at mile marker 229. 229 Parks Resturant and Tavern. Google it and read the reviews. It is a fine dining establishment with outstanding menu and local organic ingredients. The chef is considered the best in Alaska. This is a 5 star establishment in the middle of no where. No trip to Denali is complete without a visit. The food, the presentation and the staff are outstanding. Great wine list. Allow plenty of time, due to the crowd, but you do not want to rush it anyway.

Just got back from a 2 week trip and some of the places we ate at that we enjoyed were:

Anchorage: Glacier Brewhouse - best meal of the entire trip!

Seward: Chinooks - great fresh fish, but pricey ($90 for 2 including tip)

Other places we ate but were just ok were:

Seward : Resurrection Roadhouse - recommend by our guide but just so-so food and terrible service

Denali: Salmon Bake - food was just ok. Service was ok.

Black Diamond Grill - food was just ok. Service was absolutely terrible.

If you decide to do Glacier Brewhouse, make a reservation, even if only the day before. I called the night before we wanted to go, got a reservation within 15 minutes of the time I asked for. When we showed up the next night at 7:15, there was a 2 hour wait, which I guess is not uncommon.

I personally make it a "must do" every trip to Alaska to eat dinner at the Seven Glaciers in Alyeska. Fine dining-(4 Diamond AAA), an absolutely fantastic view. You generally need reservations (which can be done online), but you can sometimes get a walk in seat in the bar.

It is a splurge, but one well worth the price. Enjoy!!!

http://www.alyeskaresort.com/files/Alyeska/a7G_Dinner_Summer_09.pdf

I personally make it a "must do" every trip to Alaska to eat dinner at the Seven Glaciers in Alyeska. Fine dining-(4 Diamond AAA), an absolutely fantastic view. You generally need reservations (which can be done online), but you can sometimes get a walk in seat in the bar.

It is a splurge, but one well worth the price. Enjoy!!!

http://www.alyeskaresort.com/files/Alyeska/a7G_Dinner_Summer_09.pdf

Oh my goodness!!!!! This menu is fantastic! What do you enjoy ordering? I've got to go there the next trip to Alaska!

Oh my goodness!!!!! This menu is fantastic! What do you enjoy ordering? I've got to go there the next trip to Alaska!

The blueberry halibut appetizer and the Elk are particularly good. DH hunts and I have never been able to eat either the deer or elk he brings home. But I can eat the elk at Seven Glaciers.

I used to love the macadamia nut halibut, but I had an allergic reaction to macadamia nuts on British Airways so shy away from nuts of any kind now. I am a red meat eater, so usually have the tenderloin with one of the many exotic salads. I think the only thing I have not tried on the menu is the chicken.

We did the tasting menu sans wine one evening-absolutely fantastic chef's choice menu. A little bit of beef, a little bit of elk, 3 different kinds of fish and deserts to die for.

Hope you make it there. It is truly a spectacular experience.

Thanks for responding! The blueberry halibut appetizer was one of the things that caught my eye. We've already had our trip (just a cruise) to Alaska this year but I'm trying to talk my DH into going again next year. We just love Alaska. I would like to fly into Anchorage or Fairbanks and do just a land trip next year. We've traveled into the interior before and loved it. If I get back next year, I'm definitely getting the halibut appetizer!

Been a few years but in Anchorage have enjoyed more than once Club Paris (great steak) and Simon & Seafort's ( steak & crab with wonderful view over Cook Inlet). I'd go back to either in a heartbeat.

We spent $81.00 at Phyllis's including the tip. There were three of us and my son had King Crab legs, my husband had salmon and I had halibut and clam chowder. We all had non-alcoholic drinks. What each cost, I don't remember, sorry, I just have the credit card receipt, not the itemized receipt. We stayed at the Hilton and Phyllis's was about two/three blocks away. I don't know where the Captain Cook is, but the downtown area is all walkable, so it is probably within walking distance.

Blackrose602 mentioned Snow City Cafe. We heard they had a great breakfast, but they only opened at 7AM, so we were not able to eat there as we had an early tour the first day and on the second day we were to meet our group to catch the train and were afraid we wouldn't get back in time - so never made it there.

In Anchorage my vote goes to Phyllis's. $29.95 for all the snow crab you can eat is a great deal. That's regular resturant price here in Dallas and the crab is so much better there. The legs are huge and the body meat is so easy to extract. It's only from 3 to 5 pm and 9 to 11 pm and you can't use your northern light coupon for the special.

If you get to Homer try Crabbie's. It's another place with great seafood and very friendly people.

Was the Cafe' within walking distance to Capt. Cook?

I have a distince feeling that everything is within walking distance in Anchorage!

Easy walking distance...a block up and a block over. You're staying in a great location for walkability. Anchorage as a whole is really spread out, but pretty much everything you'd want to do either is in downtown, where your hotel is, or offers a free shuttle. Shuttles pick up at various points, but the easiest is the Log Cabin Visitor Center at 4th and D...again just a short walk from your hotel. You'll have tons of fun!!

Wow, can't make up my mind...Glacier Brewhouse or Phyllis's...someone help me decide!!!

Looking for a good hearty meal with a walking distance from The Captain Cook!!!

Don't want to break the bank but it appears that all are about the same price wise!

Aslo, we are scheduled to land in Anchorage @ 6:15...with our transfers etc. to the hotel would it be safe to make an 8:30 reservation at one of these fine establishments? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Which restaurants are closer to the airport area of town?

At the Coast International Hotel there is Piper's, the Millenium hotel has the Fancy Moose Lounge and the Flying Machine restaurant. Further down you have a Village Inn (think Denny's), a Subway, a Taco Del Mar, a McDonald's and a local restaurant called Gwennies.

That's about all that's out by the airport.

Susan in Anchorage :)

At the Coast International Hotel there is Piper's, the Millenium hotel has the Fancy Moose Lounge and the Flying Machine restaurant. Further down you have a Village Inn (think Denny's), a Subway, a Taco Del Mar, a McDonald's and a local restaurant called Gwennies.

That's about all that's out by the airport.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks for this response.

Been a few years but in Anchorage have enjoyed more than once Club Paris (great steak) and Simon & Seafort's ( steak & crab with wonderful view over Cook Inlet). I'd go back to either in a heartbeat.

I loved Club Paris, got a perfect rib eye there and the price wasn't bad (but then I'm used to east coast/nyc prices). By the time I got to Anchorage (worked my way from Barrow, through Fairbanks and Denali) I'd been eating so much fish that a steak really hit the spot.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Reindeer Hot Dog Stand in front of the Federal Building ... $6 for the dog, chips and a soda :).

In Anchorage, we had great meals at Orso Ristorante and Sacks Cafe. In Denali, the pizza from Lynx Creek was quite good. The only place we ate at in Seward was Chinooks which was also good.

Dining wasn't a high priority for us but I would say that most places we ate at in Alaska were pretty good. But the best restaurant we ate during our Alaskan vacation was Orso's.

Archived