Question for Lois & other Celebrity Experts

Jane110

Hi Lois,

I've been invited to go on the pre-inaugural launch cruise of the new Celebrity Equinox ship, and I know that this is modeled in a similar fashion to the Solstice.

My question concerns amenities.

Is there a good hair dryer in the room, or is it one of the useless ones that's atached to the bathroom wall?

What kind of shampoo, conditioner and body lotion are supplied? Are they decent, or do I need to bring my own?

Any tips you might have are most appreciated!

Jane,

I'm not an expert per se, but we love Celebrity & have sailed in regular and concierge class cabins.

The hairdryers are hand held dryers that are stored in a drawer in the vanity. They are plugged in somewhere behind the vanity ... can't unplug them but they have a long cord. Much better than the ones that are built in to the walls!

The toiletries we received in April have are a label that reads "Hydro-Minerale Aquatic Spa Therapy Collection". The shampoo, conditioner and body lotion were all lemongrass. I actually liked these products and brought home a few bottles to keep in our pool bath for guests. I have shoulder length very straight fine hair - so am probably quite low maintenance in terms of hair care (except for that big old bottle of root spray!) :D

Celebrity also has cotton balls and q-tips in the bathroom, so no need to pack those.

They provide a thermal pitcher of ice water in the cabins, along with an ice bucket. The pillows are far better than the ones we've had on RCCI lately (fluffier), and every cabin has robes. Others will probably add more tips ...

I hope you have a wonderful time!

I'm not Lois (she's a sweetheart and one of the nicest CCers I've ever 'met'!!), but have cruised Celebrity a few times, most recently on Solstice. We were in an AquaClass cabin, but the hairdryer was obviously an old one. It did work, it was stowed in a drawer above the minibar.

The bathroom has its own nightlight, which is convenient.

The toiletries are as described above, fragrance was quite mild and understated. They are average quality, I suppose. We also received 'facial mist' and a 'Chapstick' type of lip balm of the same line.

You will enjoy Equinox. Solstice is a fabulous ship, and Equinox will be just as beautiful! I'm jealous!! :p Bon voyage.

Hi Jane and others:D

I am really surprised to hear about the "old dryer":eek: especially on

Solstice.

Jane, normally the new ships have new "small appliances" but I guess

not always.

As for the shampoo and conditioner, I totally agree with Janine

about this one:D......the lemongrass is really nice! It left my hair

quite soft and shiney too! After Solstice entered the fleet they put

those same toiletries on all of the ships.

Hope you and hubby have a wonderful time:) but do remember,

Equinox is ALOT BIGGER than the ships you have recently sailed

(Oceania I believe are much smaller).

Jane110, I'm no expert, since I've only cruised on one Celebrity ship (Infinity). The dryer on that ship was the type like a vacuum cleaner hose. I had my own, my cousin used the one in the bathroom and she wrapped a face cloth around it since it got so hot. Even with that, she said the force of air was minimal.

I always take a tiny travel dryer, just in case. You probably already have one, if it's not too much to pack, I'd take it along, just in case. Mine is like this:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Hygiene___Hair_CareEP224?Args=

I'm so picky about hair care items, just the line Lois wrote "it left my hair soft" is enough for me to know my hair would be a disaster, the very last thing a person with baby soft hair wants is for something to make it soft!

But all things considered, a pre-inaugural is what, 2 nights? I can see where you want to cut back as much as possible. The pre-inaugurals we've been on you have to carry your own luggage on and off the ship, no porters, no checking bags.

Have a great time...it's so much fun :)

Jane110, I'm no expert, since I've only cruised on one Celebrity ship (Infinity). The dryer on that ship was the type like a vacuum cleaner hose. I had my own, my cousin used the one in the bathroom and she wrapped a face cloth around it since it got so hot. Even with that, she said the force of air was minimal.

I always take a tiny travel dryer, just in case. You probably already have one, if it's not too much to pack, I'd take it along, just in case. Mine is like this:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Hygiene___Hair_CareEP224?Args=

I'm so picky about hair care items, just the line Lois wrote "it left my hair soft" is enough for me to know my hair would be a disaster, the very last thing a person with baby soft hair wants is for something to make it soft!

But all things considered, a pre-inaugural is what, 2 nights? I can see where you want to cut back as much as possible. The pre-inaugurals we've been on you have to carry your own luggage on and off the ship, no porters, no checking bags.

Have a great time...it's so much fun :)

Hi Kathy, my hair is short but its thick so I love having it feel soft;)

Hi Kathy, my hair is short but its thick so I love having it feel soft;)

All of us have such different hair, mine is so silky soft all by itself that I can't even get a bobby pin or a covered rubber band to stay in, they slide right out. I use products to give body to my hair, I even spray sections with hair spray while blow drying with a round brush.

Jane110, sorry to hijack your thread, I know this is about hair dryers and product :)

If it were me, I'd just take my own stuff to be sure, perhaps your hair stylist has foil samples to give you? I know I used to do that for clients who were traveling. I'd not even hesitate to ask at a department store for samples of facial or body products.

Thanks all,

The biggest issue is the hair dryer. I've got thick hair and I need a good high voltage dryer that's not attached to the bathroom wall in order to get it decent looking.

I'll bring some styling products. I'm not too picky about shampoo/conditioner, but my only requirement is that they be two separate products. Shampoo & conditioner in one is useless product for me.

It's more than two nights on the ship. The ship sails from Southampton, UK, so we'll spend one night pre cruise in a london hotel that is Celebrity's choice, and then one night post cruise at a hotel also of their choice. I hate to have to pack my hairdryer and the converter as well. After that, we then spend two nights on our own at the fabulous Langham Hotel in London which I know will have the best of everything.

Happy K's, good idea to bring a small hair dryer "just in case". I bought one last year at Brookstone and have never used it, but it's good to have along. It's quite tuny but has 1700 volts.

BTW, I do the same thing as you do - I spray sections at the root while drying. My hair isn't fine as you describe yours. It's the opposite, my hair is "heavy" and I have a narrow face, so without any root lift for volume, it just seems to cling close to my face.

Facial and body products???? LOL!!!! I'm a skin care/beauty editor remember? I have enough to supply everyone on board the ship! :D

(okay, I'm about to make you jealous - Chanel just sent me a package of their new eyeshadows, nail polishes and a lipstick for fall. Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Hi Jane,:) just an FYI...they are on separate containers....shampoo

is in one, conditioner is in another.

I was reading about what Kathy had said about Chanel shadows and

so I went to their website. Their shadows run almost 40 bucks for

a duo or trio?

Archived