Evening in Juneau?

tranceFusion

We will be doing a tracy arm tour until 6pm but our ship doesn't depart until 11pm. We were trying to find a couple low-key things to do in the evening in Juneau - something to walk to and see, a neat hole-in-the-wall to grab a beer, etc.

Thanks for any help!

You didn't say when you are cruising in Alaska. As autumn approaches sunset is earlier and a tram ride will be out of the question.

Most cruise passengers return to the ship to eat the meal they've already paid for and don't go back into town again after.

You didn't say when you are cruising in Alaska. As autumn approaches sunset is earlier and a tram ride will be out of the question.

Most cruise passengers return to the ship to eat the meal they've already paid for and don't go back into town again after.

We will be in Juneau on August 16th.

Yes, I'd prefer not pay additional for a meal when there is so much food on the ship, unless it was something terrific that I couldn't get elsewhere.

That said, I don't want to waste land time in Alaska being on the ship.

You may be surprised at how exhausted you feel after Tracy Arm. Most people sleep on the way back. I'm not sure what that's about!

But if you want to stretch your legs and move around a bit, just start walking. Leave the tee shirt shops behind, keeping going up Franklin Street, start climbing staircases until you can't breath anymore. You'll get up into the Starr Hill neighborhood--its original name was Chicken Ridge, but in the 1920's residents decided that wasn't klassy enough--with lovely gardens, cute little houses and dogs napping in the street. Perhaps circle up along the ridge line and down past the Governor's Mansion and back down to the docks.

Assuming it's not pouring rain, the views will be very good, some nice photos down to your ship with Juneau, the whole channel and Douglas Island.

And if you don't want to miss a meal on ship, perhaps just go to The Hanger for a beer and appetizer--try the halibut cheeks wrapped in bacon--or there's also an ice cream stand in The Wharf building. The Hanger has the view that the bars along Franklin Street don't, but those dives will definitely have more atmosphere and the same beer.

I wouldn't say the tram is worth it, frankly, unless it's a gorgeous day/evening. The food isn't good, the service is bad, and there's few table with any sort of view you'd expect being on top of a mountain. Better to find some street food, take it up with you, and sit on one of the benches that overlook everything.

If you stay out after 6, you'll definitely see something approaching the real Juneau, with most tourists thundering back for their paid for dinner and tuckered out from buying tee shirts and moose nugget earrings. :D

I much rather be eating in town than on the ship. i can get frozen fish on the ship and in Juneau it is fresh fish. This time i have more time so that walk sounds great. i enjoyed Twisted Fish and would like to try the Hanger.

I was in Red Dog-bartender needed help and i gave up.

Archived