"A Day at the Beach with Royalty" on Infinity

2saskguys

My partner and I are booked on the Infinity for the 14 day Antarctica cruise and are beginning to think about excursions. We noticed that "A day at the beach with royalty" is priced at $503.00 (CA/person). This seems particularly expensive (much more than any of the other excursions on this cruise...although they all seem more expensive than in other parts of the world which is understandable); however a we're just wondering does anyone know why it's so expensive OR has anyone done this excursion and was it worth the money?

Thanks!

I will bet this is a day with the KING penguins and I think that price is pretty high. Do a search on this forum-there is a very well written thread about the Falklands. It should point out the prices for a day with the penguins.

We noticed that "A day at the beach with royalty" is priced at $503.00 (CA/person). This seems particularly expensive

You said that right! Touring resources are quite limited on Falklands & pricing reflects it. Advance planning is strongly recommended. Here’s a fantastic site for everything Falklands, including what’s available for private excursions:

http://www.visitorfalklands.com/content/view/185/170/

We took the excursion to Volunteer Point to see King Penguins in March/09 with the private operator referenced. It was a highlight of our South America cruise. The itinerary was IDENTICAL to that offered by our cruiseline except for price. HAL charged $349 pp while our private tour was US$185 pp. Prices may have gone up - but likely not to the level that you quoted. :):)

MightyQuinn-

Thanks for the info...we've booked privately as well (for the same price as you paid) and are really looking forward to the tour as we've heard so much about it...thanks again for sharing!

MightyQuinn-

Thanks for the info...we've booked privately as well (for the same price as you paid) and are really looking forward to the tour as we've heard so much about it...thanks again for sharing!

Please be aware that the Falklands are one of the most canceled ports in SA. Wind and rough seas often prevent the ships from getting to the Falklands.

So if seeing penguins is an absolute priority, you may want to book the ferry to Magdalena Island from Punta Arenas as well. Would be a shame to go all the way from Canada and miss seeing a penguin.

MightyQuinn-Thanks for the info...we've booked privately as well (for the same price as you paid) and are really looking forward to the tour as we've heard so much about it...thanks again for sharing!
Good for you! You’re in for a real treat. If you’re able, try to be in the 4x4 vehicle with Patrick Watts for the ride to Volunteer Point. While I’m sure all guides are great, Patrick is in a class by himself. He’s so much more than a guide/driver. He’s part naturalist, part historian, part storyteller, local hero & all-round great guy. He obviously loves Falklands & is so eager to share it with others. And he’ll especially love that you’re from the Commonwealth! ;);)

Please be aware that the Falklands are one of the most canceled ports in SA. Wind and rough seas often prevent the ships from getting to the Falklands.
Greatam, I’ve read here on CC that cruise ship calls are often cancelled in Falklands due to winds and/or weather. When we were in Stanley in April/09, our guides lamented that such info is often overstated. So when we returned, I e-mailed Falklands Tourist Board for the actual stats of cruise ship cancellations for their most recent (08/09) season.

Here’s their reply:

“Last season we had a total of 5 cancellations, 4 which we would consider expedition vessels and 1 large cruise liner.

Expedition Vessels:

1 cancelled due to engine trouble

2 cancelled due to high winds in the Falklands

1 cancelled due to bad weather elsewhere so they were delayed and had to cancel the Falklands to get back onto their itinerary.

Large Cruise Liners:

1 cancelled due to high winds in the Falklands

We had 105 calls last season. So as you can see, we had very few cancellations.”

This is cancellation info for the recent season only. Who knows if weather & winds will affect next season more dramatically? But recent stats seem encouraging that cruise ships do actually make their calls in Falklands. :):)

Greatam, I’ve read here on CC that cruise ship calls are often cancelled in Falklands due to winds and/or weather. When we were in Stanley in April/09, our guides lamented that such info is often overstated. So when we returned, I e-mailed Falklands Tourist Board for the actual stats of cruise ship cancellations for their most recent (08/09) season.

Here’s their reply:

“Last season we had a total of 5 cancellations, 4 which we would consider expedition vessels and 1 large cruise liner.

Expedition Vessels:

1 cancelled due to engine trouble

2 cancelled due to high winds in the Falklands

1 cancelled due to bad weather elsewhere so they were delayed and had to cancel the Falklands to get back onto their itinerary.

Large Cruise Liners:

1 cancelled due to high winds in the Falklands

We had 105 calls last season. So as you can see, we had very few cancellations.”

This is cancellation info for the recent season only. Who knows if weather & winds will affect next season more dramatically? But recent stats seem encouraging that cruise ships do actually make their calls in Falklands. :):)

MightyQuinn-

Thanks for your follow up (it is most appreciated) and while no port is guaranteed it's nice to now that getting to Port Stanley (hopefully) won't be too difficult or dangerous...it is our first stop so if we can't see the King Penguins we will be able to book to see other types of pengquins later in the cruise but this in our only KP opportunity!! Thanks again and I'm sure we'll enjoy the day (and yes we will dress warmly;-)

Thanks again!!

Archived