What to do with 2 days? Denali -> Anchorage

tranceFusion

After our shuttle day out to Denali, we have two days to fill before having to end up back in Anchorage. We are already planning to flight see on the way in.

I was thinking Hatcher's pass? How are ATVs or rafting out of Wasilla/Palmer?

Any other ideas? Thanks.

We spent 3 nights in Denali (Healy - Evensong Lodge which was incredible).

We stopped in Talkeetna on the way up and back. There didn't seem to be anywhere else to stop and we wanted to break up the ride.

We went to the WAC and picked up our tickets the afternoon we got there - but it was late, and we were anxious to get to Healy.

Next day was the shuttle bus - 8:30am ,back at 4:30.

Next day we hiked in the morning, then did rafting in the afternoon. The rafting was a lot of fun, not as scary as I thought it might be. I would have liked more rapids, which really surprised me. It was great - I highly recommend it.

Last day, we spent the morning at the visitors center (ranger talk, the movie - typical national park movie) then drove back to Anchorage for a late night flight.

In Talkeetna we stopped at the National Park visitor's center. They have a movie about climbing Mt. McKinley which was great. It's at the end of the strip of stores, one block over - not really in the middle of things, but worth finding. This is where the climbers have to go and register - so it's all about climbing.

If you can, rent your car in Anchorage, not at the airport. The rental tax at the airport is 37%! (It's still a whopping 18% in town).

Hatcher Pass is no where near Denali, and you must enter from the Palmer side- NOT Willow side with a rental car.

Yes it is very worthwhile. I assume you have two nights in Denali? Then for the third, consider Talkeetna. On the return day, plenty to see and do between Talkeetna and Anchorage.

Hatcher Pass is no where near Denali, and you must enter from the Palmer side- NOT Willow side with a rental car.

Yes it is very worthwhile. I assume you have two nights in Denali? Then for the third, consider Talkeetna. On the return day, plenty to see and do between Talkeetna and Anchorage.

Here's what we have:

Day 1: Drive from airport to Talkeetna

Day 2: Flightseeing in the morning, drive to denali, hike near park entrance

Day 3: shuttle into denali, stay overnight at denali again

Day 4: drive to wasilla

Day 5: drive to anchorage

Day 6: take train early AM to seward

I am trying to figure out what to slip into that day 4 and 5 where we don't have really anything planned. I was thinking rafting in denali, then hatcher's pass on Day 4, and then spend most of Day 5 checking out Anchorage.

Any thoughts? We have a fairly liberal amount of time to stop and check things out, I think.

Here's what we have:

Day 1: Drive from airport to Talkeetna

Day 2: Flightseeing in the morning, drive to denali, hike near park entrance

Day 3: shuttle into denali, stay overnight at denali again

Day 4: drive to wasilla

Day 5: drive to anchorage

Day 6: take train early AM to seward

I am trying to figure out what to slip into that day 4 and 5 where we don't have really anything planned. I was thinking rafting in denali, then hatcher's pass on Day 4, and then spend most of Day 5 checking out Anchorage.

Any thoughts? We have a fairly liberal amount of time to stop and check things out, I think.

I would add a day in Seward. Wasilla and Anchorage are only an hour apart. Unless you figure out what you are going to do with all this time, I would think Seward would offer you way more opportunities.

What time are you arriving??? Hatcher Pass is an option on your way to Talkeetna as well.

Archived