My short list for Rome Hotels

tjljsc

So I've read through Trip Advisore, Venere and a million other travel sites, plus done some searches on these boards. I finally have my short list of 6 possible hotels and was hoping to get some specific feedback on each.

We will only be in Rome for one evening, arriving around 6:30pm on Saturday. I need the location to be within a 5-10 minute walk to public transportation. We'll be taking the train from the aiport and hauling luggage, so minimal transfers/walking is a must. We'll be spending Saturday evening in Rome sightseeing Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. The next morning, we'll head to the Colosseum and Roman Forum. Would like easy public transport and/or walking distance to both areas.

Rooms should be clean, nice and a larger than average shower is a major plus, as my hubby is a big guy. Here's my list:

Colosseum Area:

• Apollo Hotel ($218USD - prepaid, non-refundable and looks to be about 3-4 blocks from the Roman Forum)

Termini Areas:

• Bellesuite Rome ($211USD - Looks like only a block from a metro, but a hike from Termini in Repubblica area)
  • Hotel Domus Praetoria ($191USD - Looks to be about 4 blocks from Termini off of Via Marsala)
  • Hotel Napoleon ($236USD - On the other side of Piazza Vittorio Emmanuele from La Casa di Ami)
  • La Casa di Ami ($169USD - Looks to be about 2 blocks fromTermini in Esquinillo area)
  • La Corte dei Fiori B&B ($112USD - Also in Esquinillo area)

Thanks for any help!!!

With your requirements I would select the one closest to the train station. Close than 4 blocks even.

You arrive at the airport at 6:30? If so, it will be an hour or more before you even get to the hotel. I also presume you want a whirlwind tour of the city before going to the cruise port by train? A busy few hours for sure.

I have not stayed there but have heard good things about Domus Praetoria.

Don't be afraid to take a taxi from Termini to your hotel unless you feel confident hauling all your stuff. First, the walk can be difficult, with uneven sidewalks and cobbled streets. Second (and I don't mean to scare you), you increase the risk of becoming a target for pickpockets if you are dragging luggage and looking at maps, etc. Especially when you are tired and less alert than usual after a long day of traveling....

We just stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Piazza di Spagna, which is a block from the Spanish Steps, loved the location, and the rooms were very clean, great Breakfast Buffet. Friendly staff and the price was not bad.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm definitely leaning towards a taxi from Termini. Less stress overall.

While I appreciate the additional recommendations on alternate hotels, trust me, I've done my research and they are either out of our budget or already booked.

I'd appreciate more feedback on the specific hotels in my list.

Thanks!

Take the Taxi as pickpockets are rampant near Termini, so who needs unnecessary stress pre-cruise? Just make sure you ask how much it's going to cost you to go where you wanted to go before jump into a cab. make sure it is metered.

Last time we stayed at Hotel Aberdeen, which is a Rick Steve recommended hotel. The room we had was of good size with nice tub and shower. Breakfast room with nice ceiling fresco. Ample of cold cuts, yogurt, pastries for BF. The hotel is close to Termini, and is walkable depends on how much stuff you have. Not sure which month you are going, but remember to factor in the heat and humidity if in the Summer months.

Kevin

We are staying at SuiteDreams, which is about two blocks from the termini. I have heard very good things about this hotel and our rate is around 230 usd, I believe.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

Archived