A question of cocktail dress and lenght

How short is too short...just kidding:D!

Would you consider a length stopping at the tip of the middle finger too short.???????????

Factor in above average height, sea legs and 3.5' heels.

Trying to work out of always looking like a stick draped in cloth.

Twenty two more days and counting!

Thanks

Mans perspective: The better the legs the shorter the dress

Women's perspective: The better the legs the longer the dress :D (jealousy)

My wife was asking me about this just the other night. She is going to go with pretty long lengths even though she could easily pull off whatever she wanted. Some folks consider shorter lengths to be less formal.

It's not really the "length" of the dress--it's the material, embellishment, and cut that make it a "cocktail" dress!

Something like this maybe. Because of my height there is a lot of real estate between finger tip and knee cap.

2728456250101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

When I stood up and marked where my middle finger went to on my thigh, that would be a pretty darn short dress--and when I sit down, even shorter. Too short to look classy, IMHO.

I wonder if, by asking, you're questioning it yourself? Perhaps ask a close friend, whose fashion judgment you trust, to give you her honest opinion.

When I stood up and marked where my middle finger went to on my thigh, that would be a pretty darn short dress--and when I sit down, even shorter. Too short to look classy, IMHO.

I wonder if, by asking, you're questioning it yourself? Perhaps ask a close friend, whose fashion judgment you trust, to give you her honest opinion.

It's a change from what I am used to, kind of a big/short change.

My friends would rip the tail off all my gowns:D

I admit I'm a bit on the conservative side, but I've always thought that a woman over 30 (especially a mother) should never wear a hotel dress. (She bends over and you see her whole tail). My sister and I were just talking the other day about how embarrassed we would have been if our mother had tried to dress like us when we were teens.

I don't think the dress looks overly youthful, but as you said, with your height it's going to look shorter than it actually is! I think I'd go for something a little bit closer to the knees. JMHO!!

I stood up and tested...on me (I'm short) it's only a few inches above my knee and still covering most of my thighs. Assuming your arms aren't too short for your height, I don't see what's wrong with showing some extra leg.

Long legs look amazing in a pant suit, by the way. Do you ever watch "So you think you can dance?" Cat Deeley wore a cream suit once and it was phenomenal...and not fabric draped on a stick!

I admit I'm a bit on the conservative side, but I've always thought that a woman over 30 (especially a mother) should never wear a hotel dress. (She bends over and you see her whole tail). My sister and I were just talking the other day about how embarrassed we would have been if our mother had tried to dress like us when we were teens.

I don't think the dress looks overly youthful, but as you said, with your height it's going to look shorter than it actually is! I think I'd go for something a little bit closer to the knees. JMHO!!

What is a hotel dress?

Something like this maybe. Because of my height there is a lot of real estate between finger tip and knee cap.

2728456250101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

I am tall and thin/fit and I would wear that in a heartbeat.....I actually have a dress similar to this........most all my cocktail dresses are short..........and I am way pass 30........

And judging by your pics you have the right real estate.....you will look fab in it!!!!

I am tall and thin/fit and I would wear that in a heartbeat.....I actually have a dress similar to this........most all my cocktail dresses are short..........and I am way pass 30........

And judging by your pics you have the right real estate.....you will look fab in it!!!!

Long legs can be a curse:eek:. I have the same problem with long pants.

If I was brave I would just upload the pic wearing it. I would need the right nylons and heels. It's a lovely dress for sure.

I would wear that dress, I think mid-calf is fine. I'm tall too, 6' with long legs, so I understand that you might feel a bit exposed. Try adding an opaque pair of hose to cut down on that "naked feeling"

After all we're only talking about legs here.....most people have two of them

Susan

The actual rule of thumb (or middle finger, as the case may be) is that the hem should be no shorter than the tip of your middle finger when your arms are down. So if it's hitting at the tip of your finger, you're good to go. That said, that is indeed pretty short but it's not like your dress looks like a junior-department minidress for teens. Much as I hate stockings, I might if I were you wear very very sheer black ones with this (try the ones from Donna Karan -- they're like gossamer) to give the illusion that the dress is a little longer.

This dress might be more work than it's worth. I would have to keep the heels and nylons on all night.

Plan number 2 is to add a pair of tights with pumps then head to my favorite steak house.

Still happy that at my age (almost 45) I can give any consideration to the dress "frockette":D Life is good!

Seadeck2 - sailing on the Golden Princess August 7th and trying to add a different look;)

2316395370101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived