Tipping in Oz and NZ......

Ok so you all are saying not to tip. We are going to Sydney but are not going on any tours there. We are going to do the zoo, ferries, etc. So we should not tip. Right?

Then on our cruise to New Zealand we are doing 4 private tours. So are we supposed to not tip the tour excursion person. I don't want to be rude or not tip if we should. I am talking mainly about the tour excursions in New Zealand. Please advise.

Especially because we have a private tour in Auckland with just my husband and myself with the tour driver so should we offer him a tip?

Please advise. Thanks. :p:p

Can anyone advise me on this in regards to dining? I have no idea whether tipping is the norm or is considered somewhat of an insult....

Thanks in advance, Lynda

As Sydneysiders who dine out often I can categorically say that we tip well for good service and not at all for bad, as it should be :)

Ok so you all are saying not to tip. We are going to Sydney but are not going on any tours there. We are going to do the zoo, ferries, etc. So we should not tip. Right?

Right, there'll defintely be no expectations at those locations.

Then on our cruise to New Zealand we are doing 4 private tours. So are we supposed to not tip the tour excursion person. I don't want to be rude or not tip if we should. I am talking mainly about the tour excursions in New Zealand. Please advise.

Especially because we have a private tour in Auckland with just my husband and myself with the tour driver so should we offer him a tip?

Please advise. Thanks. :p:p

Coming from North America and particularly if it is just the two of you, there may be an expectation of a tip from private guides. However, as per comments above, do it on whether you think it was worthwhile rather than because all customers are obliged - as they aren't.

As Sydneysiders who dine out often I can categorically say that we tip well for good service and not at all for bad, as it should be :)

Why do you feel the need to turn Sydney into New York or LA?

The more this happens the more it will be expected - voila, america! Goodbye australia!!!:(

I tell you what really annoyed me in America was when the food or service was bad and there is still an expectation of a tip. Don't even get me started on the cab drivers in NYC - they should've paid me to have my underwear laundered - and rude!

You need to do whatever is the general and appropriate thing in the country you are visiting. I am Australian and when I am in the US, I tip (even though the concept is quite foreign to me) because that is the custom there It is not normal, or expected, to tip in Australia (although recently some restaurants have added a 'tip' line to their credit card vouchers where you can add in a tip - but I don't know anyone who does).

Why do you feel the need to turn Sydney into New York or LA?

The more this happens the more it will be expected - voila' date=' america! Goodbye australia!!!:([/quote']

Actually, the reverse is true, over there its expected, regardless of the quality of service. I firmly believe in rewarding good service, in every sphere, whether it be my own staff or someone elses....

Sanctimony is also undesirable :)

You need to do whatever is the general and appropriate thing in the country you are visiting. I am Australian and when I am in the US, I tip (even though the concept is quite foreign to me) because that is the custom there It is not normal, or expected, to tip in Australia (although recently some restaurants have added a 'tip' line to their credit card vouchers where you can add in a tip - but I don't know anyone who does).

Oh I always tipped because I knew it was expected. I just wasn't always happy about it especially when the service was bad.

I complained to a waiter that my white wine was warm and his reply was "Its a hot day". I asked how they kept the water cold but not the wine.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the fact that there is no tipping culture in Australia for ANYTHING. And that's the way it should be. People should get paid enough for the job that they are employed to do.

I tip in other countries where it is the culture out of respect (even though it frustrates me!) and even if I get bad service. However, it frustrates me to see locals starting to pick up the tipping culture here at home.

We eat out frequently and in all types of restaurants and we rarely tip even in upmarket estrablishments. The most we've done is round up the final figure. My philosophy is that waiters in exclusive/upscale restaurants are trained/paid accoridingly in order to provide the level of service that is expected in such restaurants. We are also paying more for the better food/better service. But I do make a big effort to let the appropriate boss/manager know if someone has gone out of their way to provide excellent service.

I agree with previous posters that a heartfelt thank you, a smile and words of commendation to their managers would be a lot more meaningful.

I've lived in Australia my entire life and have also lived in North America so appreciate the difference in tipping attitudes/expectations. To summarise, -here at home, this is what most do:

I always give a bell boy dollar or two for lugging my bags to my hotel room

Give the taxi driver the spare change or a couple of $$ if he has been helpful, knows his way and the cab is clean.

In cafe's, I leave a small tip if the service has been good. As a student, I was a part time waitress...and I got a lot of tips which I very much appreciated.. As this was 30 years ago, tipping has been part of our scene for a very long time!! Back then, a customer would leave you a dollar or two on a $10 -25 meal. Our wait staff may get paid more than their counterparts in the USA, but their wages are still pretty ordinary. They also work hard so its nice to show appreciation for a job well done.

In fine dining restaurants, tips ARE the norm, 10 - 20% depending on the quality of service.

We DONT tip hairdressers, manicurists, beauticians and similar. We also dont leave tips for room maids in hotels.

I've lived in Australia my entire life and have also lived in North America so appreciate the difference in tipping attitudes/expectations. To summarise, -here at home, this is what most do:

Give the taxi driver the spare change or a couple of $$ if he has been helpful, knows his way and the cab is clean.

In cafe's, I leave a small tip if the service has been good. As a student, I was a part time waitress...and I got a lot of tips which I very much appreciated.. As this was 30 years ago, tipping has been part of our scene for a very long time!! Back then, a customer would leave you a dollar or two on a $10 -25 meal. Our wait staff may get paid more than their counterparts in the USA, but their wages are still pretty ordinary. They also work hard so its nice to show appreciation for a job well done.

In fine dining restaurants, tips ARE the norm, 10 - 20% depending on the quality of service.

We DONT tip hairdressers, manicurists, beauticians and similar. We also dont leave tips for room maids in hotels.

I think that is misleading. It is not what most do and tips of 10-20% are not the norm! You might.

I have to respectfully disagree. Perhaps some do this but definitely not most. I think everyone would think that I am mad if I paid anywhere near $100 just in tips at any restaurant.

And like Billy and Charlie's Mum has mentioned, I fear that this is misleading.

I have to respectfully disagree. Perhaps some do this but definitely not most. I think everyone would think that I am mad if I paid anywhere near $100 just in tips at any restaurant.

And like Billy and Charlie's Mum has mentioned, I fear that this is misleading.

Who said anything about $100 in tips at a restaurant????? 10% is NOT $100 unless you are having a $1000 meal and you'd be hard pushed to find that!!

Just because you dont do it, doesnt mean that is misleading. Everyone that I mix with tips in a similar fashion.

I should also add that telling people we dont tip in Australia is misleading.

We do. The major differences are:-

1, We tip way more modestly . Even if it is the best fine dining restaurant here, the tip is way more modest than the USA where 20% will be added automatically to the bill and they will still hint for more!

2. We dont tip every man and his dog, as you have to in North America. As mentioned in my previous post, we dont tip a whole range of people who are tipped in the USA.

3. The other key difference is we tip if the service is good, not because we have to.

Fine dining in a restaurant such as Quay, Bennelong or Tetsuya's is easily $200 per head and close to $300 if you include wine. Service at Tetsuya's and Quay are exceptional, especially Tetsuya's. If you're dining with 2, do the maths 10% = $50, 20% = $100

I mean saying that most in Australia tip with the guideline that you suggested is misleading. I don't know anyone who tips in this way. Yes some do, I acknowledge that. Anyway, not here to start an arguement! So shall we just agree to disagree.

I should also add that telling people we dont tip in Australia is misleading.

We do. The major differences are:-

1, We tip way more modestly . Even if it is the best fine dining restaurant here, the tip is way more modest than the USA where 20% will be added automatically to the bill and they will still hint for more!

2. We dont tip every man and his dog, as you have to in North America. As mentioned in my previous post, we dont tip a whole range of people who are tipped in the USA.

3. The other key difference is we tip if the service is good, not because we have to.

I think you are definitely in the minority SmartTraveller. The only thing I'll do in a restaurant is round it up if I think it's warranted.

I also know many who tip in restaurants. Not being a waiter/staff though, I've no idea about the percentages. Generally agree with smarttraveler's three points at the bottom of the previous page, particularly that people tip because they want to, not that they have to.

OK, now I'm more confused than ever! We have reservations at Quay to celebrate DH's 60th birthday. Should I tip or not, if so what percentage?

Thanks, not trying to fan the flames again!!!

Lynda

If it will make you feel more comfortable and have a more enjoyable celebration of that very special occasion, by all means tip. I would look at about 10%. There will be plenty of Australian there who do not tip, some who do, and the wait staff will not assault you if you do not. At Quay they would be quite used to receiving tips particularly from Americans. I would also tip in cash, Australian dollars, not simply add it to the credit card bill. Enjoy the occasion!

turtlemichael has given you good advice. I apologise if I've created confusion! It certainly wasn't the intention. Essentially, you are on holidays and so do what you're comfortable doing! As mentioned previously, the bottom line is that no one will bat an eyelid whichever you decide to do.

Quay is a fantastic restaurant with beautiful views. Enjoy it! and enjoy Sydney!

Thanks to all of you for the advise. We're spending 5 days in Sydney before going on Rhapsody to NZ and Quay was recommended to us by someone we took a tour with in Grand Cayman. Small world isn't it??!!

Lynda

When in Rome, be in rome, not home!

In other words, please don't tip. Up until recently (I moved away from Syd)I would go to ARIA and other good places and there are PLENTY of people who don't tip.

Simple message to the tourists.... don't tip. Yeah, travelling is about being out of YOUR comfort zone... not changing the destination to suit you.

I am happy with our culture (and government who supports workers with adequate wages, even the servers..) and please don't change it. :)

By the way - WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA. You will love it the way it is too.

Fine dining in a restaurant such as Quay, Bennelong or Tetsuya's is easily $200 per head and close to $300 if you include wine. Service at Tetsuya's and Quay are exceptional, especially Tetsuya's. If you're dining with 2, do the maths 10% = $50, 20% = $100

I mean saying that most in Australia tip with the guideline that you suggested is misleading. I don't know anyone who tips in this way. Yes some do, I acknowledge that. Anyway, not here to start an arguement! So shall we just agree to disagree.

How does 10% of $200 or even $300 equate to $50? I'm really being picky but I'm also curious how you came to that figure.

So to the OP, you can see from the disagreement here, that tipping is a very individual issue. There are no hard and fast rules and no one will abuse you if you don't tip.

Archived