Naples Train Station

jstducky

When I'm on the Circumsuviana website, is the Naples train station I'm looking for "Napoli Garibaldi (Stazione Centrale, FS)"?

Also, how do I get from the ship to the train station, or from the train station back to the ship? Just ask a local? Or is it obvious?

Thanks!

Yes that is the correct station name.

We got a taxi to and from the station. It cost 10 euros there and 15 back (because of getting caught up in rush hour traffic). I believe it is about a 20 minute walk (which is why we got the taxi as we hadn't a clue where it was and we had heard Naples was not the nicest of cities to be wandering around in).

You will find that none of the taxis inside the prot gates will be willing to take you, they will do their best to persuade you that they can take you quicker and just as cheaply to Pompeii or Sorrento or whereever. There is a taxi rank just outside the prot gates and although they will also try the (you don't need to get a train" spiel, they will definitely take you to the sation when you make it clear it is the station or no fare at all.

Here is a link that contains a detailed explanation. It's intended for folks using the train to Pompeii but obviously works for Sorrento as well. We used this in 2006 to walk to the train station. Took about 30 minutes at a moderate pace. We were not intimidated walking in Naples although it is on the seedy side. HTH

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

Thank you both!!! Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still a bit unsure of my schedule. I know that I'll be doing the train in one direction and then hydrofoil in the other direction from Capri.

I may opt for taxi since it's a time saver. I'll assume that it's easier to get a taxi from the train station back to the port than vice versa.

Anyhow, thanks!

Here is a link for taking the hydrofoil to Capri then to Sorrento. This is probably what we will do when we are there is September - then the train back to Naples from Sorrento. No worries about getting hung up on Capri that way. I still need to research the train station(s) in Sorrento.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples4.htm

Yes, that's what I was thinking too... hydrofoil from Naples to Capri in the morning, then hydrofoil over to Sorrento in the afternoon and train back to Naples. I'm doing it exactly for the reason you pointed out, no need to get stuck on Capri

Here is the link for the train time tables for the Circumsuviana... just enter Sorrento (only one train station), and then Napoli Garibaldi - Stazioni Centrale. It appears there are generally 2 trains and hour and the journey lasts 1 hour

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en

Train from Napoli-Sorrento, or reverse direction is approx 3,30 Euros is what I read

Here is a link to the website showing the hydrofoil times from Napoli-Capri, and then Capri-Sorrento, all with prices

http://www.capri.com/en/orari-traghetti

When I'm on the Circumsuviana website, is the Naples train station I'm looking for "Napoli Garibaldi (Stazione Centrale, FS)"?

Also, how do I get from the ship to the train station, or from the train station back to the ship? Just ask a local? Or is it obvious?

Thanks!

You can also walk across the street directly in front of the port entrance and purchase tickets at the newstand for the #1 trolley or the #152 bus that will take you to Napoli Garibaldi. The man in the newstand spoke some English. Two years ago it was 3 Euros for a round trip ticket good on the bus or trolley. Walk back half way across the street, stopping on esplanade in the middle and take the #1 trolley or the #152 bus whichever comes first. Make sure you validate your tickets when you board. When the trolley takes a sharp left turn, you want to get off at the next stop for the train station.

There are lots of posts on this board with similar directions.

You can also walk across the street directly in front of the port entrance and purchase tickets at the newstand for the #1 trolley or the #152 bus that will take you to Napoli Garibaldi. The man in the newstand spoke some English. Two years ago it was 3 Euros for a round trip ticket good on the bus or trolley. Walk back half way across the street, stopping on esplanade in the middle and take the #1 trolley or the #152 bus whichever comes first. Make sure you validate your tickets when you board. When the trolley takes a sharp left turn, you want to get off at the next stop for the train station.

There are lots of posts on this board with similar directions.

Thanks for the information.

For the return trip from Napoli Garibaldi to Stazione Marittima , would I be able to take trolley #1 or bus #152 right outside of the train station & get off when I got on in the morning ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the information.

For the return trip from Napoli Garibaldi to Stazione Marittima , would I be able to take trolley #1 or bus #152 right outside of the train station & get off when I got on in the morning ?

Thanks in advance.

We took bus #1 both ways (I think). Ask the driver.

Perhaps I should have done more research before I just asked the question about the Naples train station...

Now that I've pulled out my Rick Steves book, this is what it says

Buses #152, #R2 and Tram #1 head to Piazza Garibaldi and the train station (6/hour, 15 min, buy 1 Euro ticket at tabacchi)

To get to the bus stop, with your back to the boats, head right toward the traffic lights - the stop is 100 years away in the middle of a busy street.

Archived