Boston Duck Tours

oldIrish

Promised my daughter I would take her on a Duck Boat when we arrive in Boston via RCL. in mid Sept. The ship charges almost twice as much, but I'm concerned about availability. The ship may buy all the reservations and I'll be high and dry. Just hate to spend the extra $$$.

Are there two different Duck Boat Companies.

Any comments would be appreciated.

As far as I know, there's just the one company. There are quite a few Ducks, though.

I would think that if you were able to make your reservation through their website, they would honor it. I did it last year, and was glad I did- there was a very long line waiting to buy tickets.

Yes, there is more than one company. Clearly the orginal which uses the actual Ducks is the best. The other company uses, new, specific tour built ducks. The orginal leave from the Prudential Center or Science. Both simple to get to via T. Reserve ahead, otherwise, you may be sold out or waiting for open space past your port time.

The original is Boston Duck Tours (http://www.bostonducktours.com/) and they definitely are the best. They do a tour through most of the historic sites and splash into the Charles River. The new one is called Super Duck Excursions. They do somewhat of a tour through the city and they splash into Boston Harbor. But, they enter the harbor from way over in Charlestown under the Tobin Bridge. Most of your time in the water is spent getting to and from the harbor, not actually in it. Stick with the Boston Duck Tours.

We were visiting Boston last August for the day and I reserved my tickets online. You pick the time. That will allow you to plan your time in Boston and not miss the ship. Just remember to allow time to get to the Science Center (I think you pick where you want to board). We even shopped in the Science Gift Shop afterwards.

I booked the duck tour directly through the company because it was half the price of the ship's tour, but I have concerns about the drop-off location now. We're being picked up & dropped off at the Science Center, and plan on taking a cab from the ship to get there. After the tour, we really wanted to go to Faneuil Hall. Is that within an easy cab ride from the Science Center?

Yes - the Science Center is closer to Faneuil Hall than the Prudential Center (the other duck tour location). Its a short cab ride. Or you could even go on the "T" from Science park to Haymarket or Government Center.

Yes - the Science Center is closer to Faneuil Hall than the Prudential Center (the other duck tour location). Its a short cab ride. Or you could even go on the "T" from Science park to Haymarket or Government Center.

Great, thank you so much!

I booked the duck tour directly through the company because it was half the price of the ship's tour, but I have concerns about the drop-off location now. We're being picked up & dropped off at the Science Center, and plan on taking a cab from the ship to get there. After the tour, we really wanted to go to Faneuil Hall. Is that within an easy cab ride from the Science Center?

I live at Charles River Park, near Science Park, and walk to Faneuil Hall. If the weather is fine, you could walk, about a 30 minute walk give or take. There is also rapid transit which we call The T. The Green Line is nearby, get off at Haymarket. If you have luggage, then a cab probably.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/?route=GREEN

How far is it from where they drop you off to the Freedom Trail? Is it walking distance?

Also is taking a cab from the port to Prudential the way most people get there?

I don't quite get the first paragraph of your question. If you take the Duck Tour, in some cases you are right on the freedom trail, maybe a block or two, and not to worry, there are other who will get off the bus and walk with you. There are many stops.

There are two ways to get from the Port to Prudential. If you are going to have luggage, then perhaps your best bet is cab. Probably about $25-$40 one way and this might most likely is on the high side. The other way is public transportation. Take the silver line from the port to south station, the red line to park street, the green line to prudential. The total cost of public transportation should be about $2 per person one way.

I am also confused about why the OP would choose the Duck tour over the HoHo bus to see Boston. The duck tour is an 80 minute non-stop trip with a splash in the Charles. It's a nice one time outing with an interesting twist, but IMO the best way to see Boston is the HoHo. If the OP has a need to splash in the water, there is always the option of the MBTA water taxi from Long Wharf (Faneuil Hall/Aquarium) to Charlestown (Constitution) for $2.00.

:confused:I give up...what is the Ho-Ho Bus. And if you don't mind, another question.

What is the best way to get from the dock to the Pru Center.

I am also confused about why the OP would choose the Duck tour over the HoHo bus to see Boston. The duck tour is an 80 minute non-stop trip with a splash in the Charles. It's a nice one time outing with an interesting twist, but IMO the best way to see Boston is the HoHo. If the OP has a need to splash in the water, there is always the option of the MBTA water taxi from Long Wharf (Faneuil Hall/Aquarium) to Charlestown (Constitution) for $2.00.

:confused:I give up...what is the Ho-Ho Bus. And if you don't mind, another question.

What is the best way to get from the dock to the Pru Center.

"Ho-Ho" means "hop off, hop on" (Or hop on, hop off). It's a tour bus that you can exit at any stop, see the sights, and then you can get back on a later bus to continue your tour.

You can take a cab to the Pru for $20-$25 (maybe a bit less depending on how he goes) or you can take public transportation for $2/pp - Silver Line to South Station, Red Line towards Alewife to Park St., Green Line trolley E to the Pru.

It could be that is all the time Old Irish has. I agree with you that the Duck Tour is not as great as the HoHo bus but ...

:)I was not aware of the Ho-Ho Trolley until I read the comments from paul8 and 138east. looks like a great way to see the City of Boston. I perused the comments on their web and they were very positive.

Thanks Again

Archived