Almalfi Coast and Capri on our own?

daisylou71

HI,

Hubby and I will be in Naples for the day in about 6 weeks :D

I would quite like to do the Almalfi Coast and Capri ourselves but what would be the best way of doing this. I see we could get the hydrofoil but would like to experience the drive either there or back, how are the public buses?

It is difficult trying to decide what to do with the few hours you get in every port when some of them have so much choice!

Louise :)

Hi

We are about 4 weeks behind you. I dont think you will be able to fit both in, sorry its going to have to be one or the other.

We are planning to get the train from Naples to Sorrento. Wife is not sure though as the question of what if we miss the ship? keeps being mentioned!!!!

Do not even think of doing the Amalfi Coast and Capri in a port day (whether on your own or on a tour). It is just too much for one day and makes little sense logistically. Capri is very easy to do on your own (we have posted many tips if you do a search here) and we think a tour/excursion to Capri is a waste of good money since its only a short walk from ship to the ferry terminal (also used by most ships tours). As to the Amalfi Coast, it is quite difficult to explore independently for those not very comfortable traveling in Italy. It is possible to take the train from Naples to Sorrento and than use the regional SITA bus line to travel along the coast to Positano and Amalfi (from where you can get another bus or taxi up to Ravello). Another option is to rent a car and drive yourself (we have driven extensively in this region) which I do not recommend for those who have no experience driving in Italy (its easy to get lost around Sorrento and parking at Positano should be left for the most experienced). The best option for the inexperienced Italy traveler who wants to explore the Amalfi coast is to hire a private car/driver and do your own tour (this can be expensive). We do not recommend any of the large cruise ship tours/excursions since the large tour buses are not permitted to enter the town of Positano...hence you only get a view from above but never get to really explore the town.

Hank

Thank you Hank,

I believe I have read some of your posts when I did a search some time a go.....I shall have another look I think and see if I can make a decision. I have also been looking at taking a tour with romeinlimo along the Almalfi Coast......they also include Pompei but I think it may be too hot and again possibly too much to see/do in one day.

Louise :)

Archived