Canceled Flight, Missed Cruise, Jones Act?

JACJAM

A good point was also made about lost missing luggage--we went a day ahead to Seattle--ALL luggage lost--had it not been located & deliv to use in the middle of the night, we would have been shopping for clothes the day of dep. or our Anniv in our cabin!--not easy......

Your post brought back a forgotten memory, regarding Lost Luggage: I remember arriving very late at night w/o our luggage, and making a toga out of a bedsheet to sleep in:D guys have it easy - not so easy for girls! LOL ....All these stories seem to side with: Buy Travel Protection; Arrive at your point of embarkation, at least one day early. Like with tips and spending money, you just factor xtra expenses into your vacation budget - the risk is too great! The OP's take on all of this has to be "should have would have could have" ...I'm still so sorry - IMHO, the best part of any Alaskan cruise is the pre cruise pkg.

Rule 1. We always book air through the cruise company.

Rule 2. We have an annual travel insurance policy which means we are always covered.

Rule 3. If we are not flying, we always travel the day before sailing.

Just plain common sense.

An alternate viewpoint.

Rule 1. We almost never book air trough the cruise company as we prefer to do it ourselves in order to save money and get exactly the flights we want.

Rule 2. We have never purchased any form of travel insurance and have never needed any. This has saved us many thousands of dollars over the last few years. Even if an unexpected illness or other circumstance caused us to cancel a trip, we would still be ahead with the money saved.

Rule 3. This is definitely our golden rule when cruising. Arrive a day early to avoid missing the ship. In our opinion, air travel is too unpredictable these days to risk flying in the same day.

An alternate viewpoint.

Rule 1. We almost never book air trough the cruise company as we prefer to do it ourselves in order to save money and get exactly the flights we want.

Rule 2. We have never purchased any form of travel insurance and have never needed any. This has saved us many thousands of dollars over the last few years. Even if an unexpected illness or other circumstance caused us to cancel a trip, we would still be ahead with the money saved.

Rule 3. This is definitely our golden rule when cruising. Arrive a day early to avoid missing the ship. In our opinion, air travel is too unpredictable these days to risk flying in the same day.

I fully agree with your view point. The only caveat I would add is that if one's regular medical insurance doesn't cover emergency medical care during the cruise, then travel insurance would likely be a very good idea.

An alternate viewpoint.

For someone like yourself, who obviously is blessed with a good financial situation, this may make sense. However, for those who travel infrequently because of limited budgets, they often can't afford to risk losing that kind of money on a once in a lifetime trip.

Also, as I have mentioned before, many travelers can eat the cost of a flight, hotel, car, etc. However, few can eat the cost of a medical evacuation and medical transport home from a distant location, if necessary.

Some people are bigger gamblers than others. As long as when you gamble and lose, you don't expect someone else to pick up your losses, all is good. It is those who expect someone else to cover the costs that they are responsible for, is when the problem sets in.

its not just the fine. The penalty for a knowing violation can be baring the ship from any US port for a period of time. No cruise line will risk it. Its also never been done. but if the cruise lines start violating the rule its not the $300 pp they might have to deal with. NCL was fined a million dollars for missing Kirbuti from Hawaii on its foreign flagged ships and the reasons were all medical or mechanical.

Sounds like a money grab on the part of the government. So if there's a medical emergency does the government want the cruise line to tell the family sorry we can't get him/her help until we've gone to that foreign port first? Doesn't sound like a lot of common sense there.

.....As long as when you gamble and lose, you don't expect someone else to pick up your losses, all is good. It is those who expect someone else to cover the costs that they are responsible for, is when the problem sets in.

I completely agree with you on that point. I take some calculated risks but not if a sum of money is involved that I can not afford to lose. I am a strong believer in personal accountability as well.

Sounds like a money grab on the part of the government. So if there's a medical emergency does the government want the cruise line to tell the family sorry we can't get him/her help until we've gone to that foreign port first? Doesn't sound like a lot of common sense there.

They will waive it for the passenger with the emergency. They just don't waive it for the whole ship.

It has nothing to do with the foreign port first. You can't get off in different US port if you left from another US port unless you travel to a distant foreign port. If the cruise started in a foreign port you can't get on at one US port and off at another...unless the ship is US flagged. the Jones act is intended to favor US flagged vessels. In that its the same as US flagged airlines....or protects Canadian airlines within Canada...

there is nothing so uncommon as common sense...

I do know of someone who lives in the US who purchases a policy that covers him for his year of travels. I believe it is through Travlex, but would have to check to be sure.

I have an annual policy for international medical and evacuation, but it would not cover cancellation or delays. I can afford to accept that risk, but I'd consider a comprehensive annual policy if one were available. I checked the Travelex site; they do not seem to offer an comprehensive annual policy in my state. State laws vary in the US, so others might have access to such a policy.

I have an annual policy for international medical and evacuation, but it would not cover cancellation or delays. I can afford to accept that risk, but I'd consider a comprehensive annual policy if one were available. I checked the Travelex site; they do not seem to offer an comprehensive annual policy in my state. State laws vary in the US, so others might have access to such a policy.

I do know the person who purchases the yearly plan is more interested in the Medical Evacuation than losing out for a flight or hotel.

I fully agree with your view point. The only caveat I would add is that if one's regular medical insurance doesn't cover emergency medical care during the cruise, then travel insurance would likely be a very good idea.

Medical insurance is very important in making the decision and many seniors do not know that Medicare will not cover you out of country....

Medical insurance if very important in making the decision and many seniors do not know that Medicare will not cover you out of country....

Very good point. Also, not all insurance plans cover medical evacuation or coverage to return you home if you need medical transport home. Some people think this coverage is only needed if you are older. However, young people do suffer debilitating injuries in accidents and are not able to be transported home via regular airplanes. Yes, these are rare incidents. I know some are wealthy enough to cover these expenditures. However, many of us are not. Therefore we rely on travel insurance.

We too were on the July 10th cruise. During an excursion in Juneau I learned my Mother had passed away. The Celebrity personnel were amazing at getting us off the ship, through customs, and booking us a hotel room near the airport. Alaska Air worked tirelessly to get us flights home with the miles we'd used to book the original flights. Our travel agent was in contact with Celebrity before we were even off the ship and has already filed our insurance claim. Our $178 spent with Celebrity for their Cruise Care insurance has proven to be invaluable for us. I will never again travel without insurance. It only takes an instant for your trip to be a disaster...don't ever gamble with your peace of mind.

Where do you get insurance for $90? For that price it might be worth it but not for the prices I have seen.

I hope this is not a violation in the TOS; but since this is a Celebrity section...the prices are from Celebrity's website. Seems pretty reasonable to me; especially becuase they cover independently booked air.

The prices are per person and based on the Cruise Fare (minus taxes and port charges). The amount is about 6% - 12% depending on your Cruise Fare.

Cruise Cost CruiseCare

$ 0 - $500 $29

$ 501 - $1,000 $59

$1,001 - $1,500 $89

$1,501 - $2,000 $119

$2,001 - $2,500 $159

$2,501 - $3,000 $189

$3,001 - $3,500 $229

$3,501 - $4,000 $259

$4,001 - $4,500 $299

$4,501 - $5,000 $329

We too were on the July 10th cruise. During an excursion in Juneau I learned my Mother had passed away. The Celebrity personnel were amazing at getting us off the ship, through customs, and booking us a hotel room near the airport. Alaska Air worked tirelessly to get us flights home with the miles we'd used to book the original flights. Our travel agent was in contact with Celebrity before we were even off the ship and has already filed our insurance claim. Our $178 spent with Celebrity for their Cruise Care insurance has proven to be invaluable for us. I will never again travel without insurance. It only takes an instant for your trip to be a disaster...don't ever gamble with your peace of mind.

I am so sorry for your Mother's passing. Fortunately the travel part of your tragedy went smoothly.

My sympathies and heartfelt wishes go out to you and your family.

Hoping you are finding some good memories to help you with the

loss of your Mom.

Totally agree!

I have never bought insurance and probably never will. I looked at quotes and they were 10% + the price of the trip. I have taken far more then 10 major trips in my life nad never had an issue. If I get bit on one, I'll consider it insurance dues.

If it's a once in a lifetime trip and you don't travel often, its probably wise to get insurance. But if you travel often, it's probably cheaper to go without. My parents have been on 40+ cruises and buy insurance often. I tell them not to but they continue to. Number of claims = 0.

We travel extensively and likewise have never bought insurance. However, for our upcoming 10 day Eastern Med cruise, I bit the bullit and bought basic insurance. The reasons were two-fold: one: we are arriving in our departure port the day of the cruise and two: my husbands parents are elderly and in poor health. The cost of our insurance was 3% of the total we spent for our cruise and airfare. I think it is a small price to pay for a little peace of mind.

Thank you for your well wishes. My Mom was 84 years old and although her passing was not especially unexpected, it was. I cannot say enough about the smooth transistion we had off the ship or our travel agent's involvement. We do not travel much...just a big trip every three years or so...so this is a big expense and investment for us. This was just an unfortunate timing of events. We will go back and finish our Alaskan adventure...a 33 year anniversary gift from my husband...but not without the help of our TA Mark at McCoy Travel...or without travel insurance. Life has a way of throwing curve balls.

We were able to have an amazing whale watching adventure in Juneau before the news and that was enough to know we have to go back. Again...thanks for the wishes.

I and most people in the UK will buy travel insurance and in fact when booking a cruise the Policy and the emergency telephone no has to go on the booking submitted to the Cruise Company. Also when we fill in the on line check in for the cruise these details also have to be submitted.

I normally buy annual insurance and last year paid £96 for worldwide cover. I had 6 holidays 3 being cruises and an extended holiday in Australia at the end of a Millinnium cruise last year. Due to some health problems I have not had a holiday since January but am on the Solstice in October. For this cruise I have just bought a single trip policy costing £27 as I am now over 66 and the premium is higher also I have some pre existing medical conditions. For peace of mind it would be crazy not to.

When you think of the excursions drinks and tips etc we spend!!

I have had to claim on my insurance 3-4 times for seeing the Dr on board and also have lost and had stolen cash, camera, a watch and a total loss of baggage of just under £3000. What I have needed to claim well outweighs any premiums I have paid.

Sue

We never go without cruise ins

came in handy when I had emergency gall bladder surgery instead of sailing on our cruise... (not a choice) It was through Royal C- it was processed efficiently, we got back our excursion $$ from Royal & SW air gave us a refund..

we were able to book a last minute deal a few months later--without the ins the funds would have been lost!

good point about Medicare! shipboard medical-treatment ain't cheap! if for no other reason than to protect yourself against a pricey medical bill, consider the possiblity you could get a norovirus - swine flu (these 2 things are really prevelant) - set off your gall bladder from overeating, etc. I do think we think about "cancelling" and "no way would we cancel", but there's just a zillion more reasons to take the insurance. How many folks had a slip, trip, or fall on a shore tour and wish they had taken or were glad they did take the insurance. One time we used it when we were trying to fly home from Ireland and the very day we were scheduled to fly, Aer Lingus decided to do a one day strike! Insurance took care of the xtra night, all the meals, laundry service, extra parking, extra animal care at home. WOW! now that was some insurance!

One thing this thread has done is put a huge feather in the hat of anybody selling trip protection insurance. In fact, it's about the most inclusive list of Reasons To Take Insurance.:D

No , Air Canada is in trouble....again. They have been out of bankruptcy about 4 years now I think, but financially they are in trouble again already. My flight to my cruise in from Vancouver Sept has been eliminated, and I have been booked on a different flight, however we are going in the day before so it doesn't really matter too much....other than the connections now suck!

They will continue to operate even in bankruptcy, as do the US carriers. It is not imminent , but they are scaling back and eliminating flights.

Thanks Mortgagechick...We are flying on Sept.4th and will hope for the best.We have never flown air Canada before.Hold good thoughts for us.This is the first and last time we will fly the day we sail.It's just hard because I only get two weeks vacation a year.I operate a home daycare and it's really hard to tell the parents I need more time than that.But we love the longer cruises.

Booking air through the cruiseline is not a guarantee that you will make the ship. This is a common misconception that people have. They will make every attempt to get you there but as stated in their contracts, cruise air is a courtesy for the traveler.

I don't think so. If the cruise compnay book the air journey, then even if the flight is delayed, then they guarantee to get you on the ship. I know, because this happened on a cruise I was on, and they delayed the ship's departure.

I and most people in the UK will buy travel insurance and in fact when booking a cruise the Policy and the emergency telephone no has to go on the booking submitted to the Cruise Company. Also when we fill in the on line check in for the cruise these details also have to be submitted.

I normally buy annual insurance and last year paid £96 for worldwide cover. I had 6 holidays 3 being cruises and an extended holiday in Australia at the end of a Millinnium cruise last year. Due to some health problems I have not had a holiday since January but am on the Solstice in October. For this cruise I have just bought a single trip policy costing £27 as I am now over 66 and the premium is higher also I have some pre existing medical conditions. For peace of mind it would be crazy not to.

When you think of the excursions drinks and tips etc we spend!!

I have had to claim on my insurance 3-4 times for seeing the Dr on board and also have lost and had stolen cash, camera, a watch and a total loss of baggage of just under £3000. What I have needed to claim well outweighs any premiums I have paid.

Sue

Well said Sue. Completely agree with you, but it seems that the insurance regulations are somewhat different for our US cousins. That doesn't alter the fact that they shouldn't buy insurance. To me, it's an essential purchase, as like you, my wife and I also have pre-existing conditions.

Archived