Canceled Flight, Missed Cruise, Jones Act?

JACJAM

I don't think so. If the cruise compnay book the air journey, then even if the flight is delayed, then they guarantee to get you on the ship. I know, because this happened on a cruise I was on, and they delayed the ship's departure.

Read you paperwork, they will make every attempt to get you there but in the long run they do not guarantee to get you on the ship. A very common misconception that has come up many times over the years. You were lucky but it might not happen again. Sorry, your chances are better but there is not guarantee.

Originally Posted by dkjretired

Booking air through the cruiseline is not a guarantee that you will make the ship. This is a common misconception that people have. They will make every attempt to get you there but as stated in their contracts, cruise air is a courtesy for the traveler.

I have to agree with Don here,

We were on the Millennium sailing out of Barcelona. One couple from the US had horrendous airline delays and missed the sailing. Celebrity got them to the ship 2 days later at Villefranche, the first port stop after Barcelona. They will not hold the ship, but will try their best to get you to the next port.

They will not hold the ship, but will try their best to get you to the next port.

I believe they will actually hold the ship where feasible, but not guarantee to hold it indefinitely. For example, say that you were going to arrive three hours after scheduled departure due to flight delays. They may hold it that long if that doesn't have flow on effects to the schedule. On the other hand, if your flights are going to cause you to be a day or 12 hours late then obviously it is not going to be feasible to hold everyone else to wait for you.

I believe they will actually hold the ship where feasible, but not guarantee to hold it indefinitely. For example, say that you were going to arrive three hours after scheduled departure due to flight delays. They may hold it that long if that doesn't have flow on effects to the schedule. On the other hand, if your flights are going to cause you to be a day or 12 hours late then obviously it is not going to be feasible to hold everyone else to wait for you.

Plus it also depends on the port authority as well. The captain may be okay with waiting for you, but if the port authority says no, then the ship will have go leave without you.

Plus it also depends on the port authority as well. The captain may be okay with waiting for you, but if the port authority says no, then the ship will have go leave without you.

Exactly and that is why they sometimes wait for passengers late back from independent excursions and sometimes go without them. If you are on deck at sailaway and someone is late, you see the Port authority guy down by the gangplank and he calls the shots.

The only point I was making in my original post was that many people think if you book through the cruiseline, it is a guarantee that they will get you to the ship. This has been discussed numerous times over the years and the cruiseline paperwork says they do it as a courtesy for you and it is not guaranteed. It is really one of the myths of cruising.

I suspect the bottom line on holding a ships is cost. In some ports there are substantial costs levied for delayed departures. I would think that the cruise lines balance theses costs against customer accomodation. These days, I suspect the former will win the day.

I have known the Ship to be delayed in sailing due to a large no of US passengers with delayed flight. Sailed at 10.00pm in place of 6pm and also have been on board when the Pilot or some other small boat brought passengers out who had missed the sailing on a day in Port.

I would not wish to have either happen to me just in case. On the Solstice on the 9th October and even though the flight would arrive at 12.30pm on the sailing day I am flying into Rome a day early just to be sure.

Sue

I've no words of advise... but I will compliment you on your attitude. What happened was a serious cluster of trouble and you've not placed 'blame' on anyone which is refreshing and uncommon. I've begun traveling Delta again after an 8-10 year 'boycott' arising from flight cancelation fallout... They're not my preferred carrier but they dominate a lot of routes out of my region. I too 'take my chances' with flights, insurance, and cruises (although not when parents are involved;)).

Anyways - good luck in your recovery attempts.

Well said Sue. Completely agree with you, but it seems that the insurance regulations are somewhat different for our US cousins. That doesn't alter the fact that they shouldn't buy insurance. To me, it's an essential purchase, as like you, my wife and I also have pre-existing conditions.

Being originally from the UK and now living in the US I am familiar with both sides of the pond. In the UK insurance is so automatic when you puchase a holiday. I remember going into Lunn Poly (Travel Agent) each year to book my holiday and often they had a deal where the insurance was free. Then annual policies came along where you could buy them everywhere and they were well advertised. Also Brits with 4-6 weeks vacation a year tend to go on more holidays than Americans (2-4 weeks vacation) so are more likely to have annual policies. The annual polcies in US offer such limited coverage they are not really that useful.

Also another difference is that my medical insurance here actually covers me for medical evacation and emergency medical care when out of the country (not the case for everyone). In the UK the NHS would not cover you.

In the US insurance is not always offered by travel agents and they do not have the walk in travel agents here like you get in the UK.

The culture/business of travel is just different.

Still agree it is best to have coverage!!

I don't think so. If the cruise compnay book the air journey, then even if the flight is delayed, then they guarantee to get you on the ship. I know, because this happened on a cruise I was on, and they delayed the ship's departure.

On occasion they will delay the ship. This is more the exception than the rule. There is no guarentee they will hold the ship. Many variables go into play as to whether or not they will hold a ship.

I posted earlier and I guess it got deleted, not sure why. I have emailed Cruise Critic to find out.

I would like to thank everyone that has posted positive comments and eye opening experiences. I knew I would get a tongue lashing and I did. One thing I have learned from this thread is I will probably get insurance not only if the trip is canceled but if something happens to my 14 month old DD. My daughter is far more important then anything in this world.

Another point that stood out was the TA should have known about the Jones Act. That may have changed our travel plans if we flew out the day before or booked the south bound cruise versus the north bound we were booked on.

I’d like to thank everyone for there input and I see it’s generated a lot of views and replies. I will keep everyone informed on the outcome. Thank You again :o

I hope this one doesn't get deleted!

I posted earlier and I guess it got deleted, not sure why. I have emailed Cruise Critic to find out.

I would like to thank everyone that has posted positive comments and eye opening experiences. I knew I would get a tongue lashing and I did. One thing I have learned from this thread is I will probably get insurance not only if the trip is canceled but if something happens to my 14 month old DD. My daughter is far more important then anything in this world.

Another point that stood out was the TA should have known about the Jones Act. That may have changed our travel plans if we flew out the day before or booked the south bound cruise versus the north bound we were booked on.

I’d like to thank everyone for there input and I see it’s generated a lot of views and replies. I will keep everyone informed on the outcome. Thank You again :o

Not sure why you got deleted, but if you happened to mention a Travel Agency by name, they would have deleted it for that reason. On CC we are not allowed to promote and Travel Agent or Agency. Whatever the reason, hopefully they will get back with you.

I do agree, that you would think a TA would give good advice to their clients. I just don't think many TAs are all that knowledgeable. They are planning people's vacations around the world. I just don't think one person can know all there is to know about every destination. Because of this, it is important to do your own research.

I worked with a local TA and did like her very much. She got me two price decreases. She was able to work with my cruiseline when my assigned guarentee cabin did not appear to be an upgrade. She did not give up until they gave in to her. For that I was greatful. However, after all my research for Alaska, I am sure I know more about Alaska than she does. I know my TA got some free trips to Alaska, but she didn't take any excursions. Those she would have had to pay for herself. She had good knowledge of the cruiseships but not Alaska itself.

Even with travel insurance, I suggest you do a TON of research before you buy. I found the Trip Insurance Store to be quite knowledgeable:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/

Plans, even within the same company, can offer very different coverages. Read a lot online before you even call with your questions. Know exactly what you are buying. It took me two years to get somewhat knowledgeable and I still don't think I have it all sorted out.

Pre-existing coverage is a biggie. If you have to cancel a trip because of a loved one becoming ill or dying from a pre-existing condition, your insurance will pay you nothing, unless you have Pre-existing Coverage. Typically, they don't charge you for this coverage, but you must buy it within severals days or weeks of your FIRST TRIP DEPOSIT. (Usually 7-21 days). For example, let's say your parent has cancer. This is a pre-existing condition. If they die while you are on your trip and you need to shorten your trip, you will not be covered for expenses if you head home, UNLESS your policy covers pre-existing conditions. As some have mentioned on this thread, some of the trip interruptions coverages are only if your trip was delayed over 24 hours. Since your trip was not delayed more than that, many of the insurance plans wouldn't have even covered you anyway. So, again, research!!!!

The only point I was making in my original post was that many people think if you book through the cruiseline, it is a guarantee that they will get you to the ship.

No issue with your post, but the point I made was in reference to the comment on going to the next port. It doesn't mean you'll automatically go to the next port (if permitted) just because you're not going to meet the original check-in time. They do also hold ships on occasion, where the situation allows them to, and the comments about the port authority and berth reservation times also are a part of that.

The previous post quoted a derogatory comment from a post that was deleted.

First off, I'm sorry to the OP to hear this - this is very unfortunate. The advice to write nice letters may indeed get additional credits from DL and Celebrity, but no one is going to refund your cruise here in this situation.

Second - this thread has some good info from other posters, but also some very poor/misleading/inaccurate information. FWIW, here are some real life examples that may clear up some of the urban / cruise myths....

Myth 1: You should buy cruiseline air as you are 'protected' that way.

Not necessarily true. Holland America springs to mind as a cruiseline that is more willing to go above and beyond with en route problems encountered when purchasing their AirPlus programme. However I can recount countless experiences with cruiselines including Princess, RCI and Celebrity where the guests who encountered difficulties with cancelled or delayed flights ended up being WORSE OFF than those on itineraries booked independently by their travel agent.

I recall 10 guests booked on a highly inappropriate air schedule with Celebrity out of San Juan at 08:50 am on day of disembarkation. Despite protestations, Celebrity insisted that a 6am docking was ok for this departure. When the guests missed the flight because they could not get to the airport in time despite their frantic efforts, Celebrity advised them by telephone that it was not up to the cruiseline to sort it out, and they'd just have to deal with the airline (American) and get them to rebook them as and when. It took weeks after they got home to reclaim expenses including hotel accommodation as none of them could fly home that same day as the flights were full.

I have many more true incidents. So many that I now advocate that clients have us do their air for them separately, fly in the day before, choose sensible schedules and connections up front, and not worry about playing the cruiseline air lottery.

Myth 2: Insurance isn't worth it as it probably won't cover missing your cruise anyway.

As with anything, there are better more comprehensive insurance policies, and cheaper more basic ones. A good TA will ensure you have a policy that is actually worth something and will actually cover you for your trip for the things that you need. Don't just buy the cheapest policy.

For those that say that they never use it, or that it costs 10% of the trip so if you do 10 trips without needing it then it's pointless... all I can say is that when you are in Canada, or in Europe, or in any other foreign port - and you need to be airlifted off the ship and treated in a local hospital - most people would be shocked at the cost (in the tens of thousands) and perhaps equally shocked at what their employer or HMO programme actually covers (most don't cover air/sea evacuation from a cruise ship for instance).

That's not including reimbursement for new flights if your airline cancels, reimbursement for buying clothes if your luggage is delayed by the airline, reimbursement for hotels if you get stranded...

Insurance is only an unneccesary expense until you actually need it.

Myth 3: I'll risk flying in the day of the cruise because I can always catch it in the next port if I miss the ship

This example of the Passenger Service Act is a prime example of why this is not always possible. Not too mention that it may be logistically difficult or impossible on the day to get last minute air tickets to the next port - and if you can - at what cost? 'walk up' air tickets one way can run into the thousands and easily be more than what was paid for the cruise itself.

Myth 4: Air Canada is going bankrupt/shutting down/going out of business/is the only airline in Canada

I can't speak for some of the far flung rural communities, but WestJet is now almost as big as Air Canada in the domestic Canadian market with almost the same percentage of market share as Air Canada.

As for Air Canada's financial troubles - it is quite possible that another CCRA filing is on the horizon (that's the equivalent of Chapter 11 to those of you south of the border), but Air Canada along with Continental Airlines, United Airlines, Northwest Airlines and many many more have been through Chapter 11/CCRA before and still operate, albeit some of their creditors and shareholders get stiffed in the process.

I think it's highly premature to speculate that Air Canada will just disappear, and I would reassure the posters who were worried about their Air Canada flights that they really have nothing to worry about - certainly no more so than buying a ticket on just about any US carrier.

I don't mean this to come across as a rant, I just hate to see misinformation perpetuated, or at the least want to put over some other actual first hand experiences to illustrate other viewpoints.

Safe travels and happy cruising...

YYC F/A: Thanks for this helpful post. Myth #1 is probably the most prevalent.

Can I just toss in one possible caveat, however? The situation for passengers who buy through a european company - e.g. I buy my Celebrity cruises through Celebrity UK - might be different. EU Directive 90/314/EEC gives protection to consumers who purchase 'package travel, package holidays and package tours' within the EU, i.e. the seller of the package is within the EU, which would include Celebrity UK. The Directive applies when at least two of the three elements are sold or offered or sale at an inclusive price, and the package covers a period of more than 24 hours - my assumption is flight-inclusive cruises are within the scope of the Directive. Among the Directives provisions is one that says that the package organiser or seller must accept responsibility 'for the performance of the services offered'.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I think that passengers who bought air-inclusive cruises from an EU subsidiary of a cruise line may be in a better position than someone who bought a cruise in north america; that for them 'Myth #1' may not be a myth.

On our northbound cruise from Vancouver in 2007, a number of people joined the ship in Ketchikan. I also thought they couldn't do that due to the PVSA - but what do I know!

While trip insurance wouldn't have gotten you on the ship if they wouldn't let you board in a US port, it would've paid your "trip interruption" costs. I'm sorry you learned an expensive lesson the hard way.

Maybe those people were Canadian citizens and not subject to this US policy. It is a Homeland Security policy...:cool:

hey JACJAM, I am as you know sorry about the heartache you have suffered from this tragic ruination of your vacation. You are right, perhaps in your instance a insurance policy is for the best. But as previously stated, do make sure you read the policy carefully. I remember once my parents purchased insurance for a cruise and when my father got sick they found that it was not the "proper and exact" circumstances for reimbursement...can you believe it? My father ended up going sick...and he is handicap too. So, do find the best place to get insurance maybe as a seperate policy from the line...maybe someone knows of some companies??? I never do get insurance and I am certain it will come to haunt me one day;)

Totally agree!

I have never bought insurance and probably never will. I looked at quotes and they were 10% + the price of the trip. I have taken far more then 10 major trips in my life nad never had an issue. If I get bit on one, I'll consider it insurance dues.

If it's a once in a lifetime trip and you don't travel often, its probably wise to get insurance. But if you travel often, it's probably cheaper to go without. My parents have been on 40+ cruises and buy insurance often. I tell them not to but they continue to. Number of claims = 0.

Thank God we had insurance. DH had emergency surgery and was hospitalized for ten days. Had to cancel Oceania's cruise Hong Kong to Athens - with my own airline reservations. Expensive? Yes. BUT payment in full for almost $20K. YES! As we get wee bit older, it's the only intelligent thing to do.

PS: And (another yes,) one should ALWAYS fly in one or two days before.

The lesson here, from all the posts, is twofold.

#1 - never fly day of embarkation. I was just on Millie's July 3rd out of Seward. 4 passengers flew, 3 separate flights. My husband came from doing business in Seattle - no problems there. My friends left Boston on a 9 am flight (the day before embarkation). Major thunderstorms delayed them 2 hours but they had a 3 hour lay over in Atlanta so they made their connection just fine. I had the 11:00 am flight connecting to same Atlanta flight to Anchorage. Flight was delayed, but not long enough to miss my connection. Unfortunately, a woman died on my flight and we had to land in Charlotte so I ended up missing Atlanta connection anyway. Cudos to Delta for getting me on another flight to Salt Lake then to Anchorage (on a completely sold out flight). I got there at 1:30 am, but it was still enough time to grab the bus to Seward at 7:00 am (I missed dinner and sightseeing in Anchorage, but that was a minor inconvenience all things considered). Had I flown day of embarkation - Yikes! There are some things we just can't control. My rule of thumb when dealing with airline agents at airports - be nice. They deal with crabby, obnoxious people all day long. If you are nice to them, they will bend over backwards to help you out.

#2 - Always bring a carry on bag with extra clothes and your toiletries and any medicines. This trip, I had 3 days worth. Thank god. Delta got me to Anchorage, but not my luggage. No sweat, I had clothes and my toiletries and was fine till luggage caught up with me in Juneau 2 days later. We hear so many stories of lost or delayed luggage that I don't understand why anyone would fly without some basic necessities.

I too am sorry for the OPs missed trip. Consider it an expensive lesson learned. The cruise line is in no way responsible, so do not expect anything, though they may be willing to offer some upgrades or credit for future trips just to be nice.

Archived