New Mahogany Bay Cruise Center dock in Roatan for Carnival (MERGED THREADS)

thinfool

Mahogany Bay Cruise Center in Roatan Progressing on Schedule

http://carnival-news.com/2009/07/20/mahogany-bay-cruise-center-in-roatan-progressing-on-schedule/

20 July 2009

Guests sailing aboard the Carnival Valor, Carnival Legend and Carnival

Glory will soon be able to enjoy all the conveniences and amenities of

the stunning new $62 million Mahogany Bay cruise center on Roatan in

the Bay Islands.

Construction continues on the 20-acre project which is expected to

welcome its first cruise ship, the 2,124-passenger Carnival Legend,

November 19.

Mahogany Bay - Roatan encompasses two cruise ship piers, a welcome

center with a retail complex housing a variety of shops, bars and

restaurants, along with a transportation/car rental hub, and a

pristine private beach. A separate excursion pier will dispatch

water-based tours.

In its first year of operation, Mahogany Bay - Roatan expects more

than 520,000 passengers and more than 200 cruise ship calls, including

100 by Carnival Cruise Lines vessels.

Where is this located from Coxen Hole? I've heard it used ot be called Dixon's Cove and is on the northern side of the island across the island from French Harbor, close to Palmetto Bay. Is this correct? Sandiver or usfcrew do eithe rof you know? If it is it'll make it relatively far away from the popular hang outs like Fin and Flippers or the West Bay or Tabyana Beach.

Thanks. Found it on a map at home tonight. Over by the catermaran place and Coral Cay. Not a lot else. I'm sure you'll hear an increase in the chirping about how "bad" the port is and that "there's nothing there".

I understand that CCL is pouring a lot of resources into this. Once it is finished, does that mean that all Roaton calls for CCL will be there or will some still call at the old port in Roaton? Also, will the new one look like the excellent port in Turks and Caicos. That was really well done!

Thanks. Found it on a map at home tonight. Over by the catermaran place and Coral Cay. Not a lot else. I'm sure you'll hear an increase in the chirping about how "bad" the port is and that "there's nothing there".
I'm guessing, that after CCL opens their pier, the 'locals' will start to 'take pride' in the island, and there will be a major 'face-lifting' of the island!:)

We weren't overly impressed this past June, but a year from now it will be another Costa Maya..:D

We do hope to go back to Roatan in the near future; The island could be a 'paradise'!:cool:

Indeed.. All Carnival' date=' Princess and Costa...etc..etc..willl port at the new dock, when it opens....MAYBE this year.[/quote']

according to its press release from last week, CCL says it's still on track to open November 19.

• 1 month later...

That sounds great! So it's going to have a private beach, something like at Costa Maya? I saw the picture from the news story, but assumed it was more of a concept photo than the actual beach, since the pier is still under construction.

We're doing a free style tour with Rony, and planned on ending at one of the beaches at West Bay, but this might be a better option for us. We could leave all our snorkeling gear on the ship instead of toting it around with us all day. Then after our tour, we could get back on the ship, have lunch, and wander back over to the beach for the rest of the afternoon.

Thanks for your answer.

We are going to Fins & flippers for the day and wanted to make sure we could still walk to it! :D

From Google Map, the surrounding area of Mahogany Bay looks deserted but it does look very nice with the ship reck and the tropical setting, etc...I guess we'll see that on another trip.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=roatan&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=16.325947,-86.500125&spn=0.011861,0.030813&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

Hmmmmmm. Interesting that Carnival are reporting the Legend to be the first ship to dock at Mahogany on November 19th...............the itinerary states the Legend will be in Belize on the 19th and Roatan November 20th

Guess I'll need to call Carnival and try and get a definite date - no good booking with Rony for the 20th if we are there on the 19th!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our Western Caribbean with a stop in Roatan. The sailboat we arranged for snorkeling took us to sail past the new Mahogany Bay port area. Here are a few pics.

Port area/shops....not completed yet

2686081380095841410S425x425Q85.jpg

We were told the green posts you see are a chairlift similar to ski areas which will be used to transfer passengers to the new beach area

2872537940095841410S425x425Q85.jpg

and, the beach

2134198110095841410S425x425Q85.jpg

I just received an email from our private tour guide for Roatan ( we had a change of itinerary so we were communicating with them) and they said that the new pier is slated to be completed in November - seems impossible to me, but I guess we'll see

I just received an email from our private tour guide for Roatan ( we had a change of itinerary so we were communicating with them) and they said that the new pier is slated to be completed in November - seems impossible to me, but I guess we'll see

Capt. Dave of the Calypso Lady (the sailboat we chartered) said the contractors are working 24/7 to have it finished. He said they (the contractors) have to pay some astronomical amount per day (in the hundreds of thousands range:eek:) for every day they are late. And, I'm not sure, but I thought Capt. Dave said the cruiselines put in the beach. I may be wrong though, but the beach was completely deserted. We were the only boat and the only 4 people snorkeling on the east side of the island the day we were there. It was awesome :D

Archived