New Mahogany Bay Cruise Center dock in Roatan for Carnival (MERGED THREADS)

thinfool

I spoke with our independent tour guide and they said there is no problem with using the new Pier they will pick us up there same as the old Pier. We cruise in January as well so I am thinking everything will be fine.

Yes please come back and report on the Mahogany Beach area and new pier. We are not sure now if we should still do our tour or just hang out in this area.......

I have spoken to Victor Bodden and he has said that Carnival is not willing to work with independent tour guides and will not allow them to have access to the new pier. It seems as if Carnival has decided they want alll the tour business to themselves. Anyone who chooses to use an independent tour guide will have to walk some distance away from the new facilities to meet them.

I am anxious to hear the personal experiences of those who have visited the dock. Right now, I feel as if Carnival has instituted a policy that is heartlessly excluding the very people who have made Roatan such a desirable place to visit. I would hope they would work with these hard working business people who depend on our business to survive, rather than intentionally shutting them out.

I do feel bad for the independent operators in Roatan but in March of 2008 we had to walk a bit to get to our tour operator even then. We had to leave the dock area to find Victor Bodden's booth. I know that the dolphin swim could not be scheduled through the independents. Evidently the fact that some cruisers got a cheaper excursion not through Carnival upset a few people. I am guessing the ships got complaints and then the monopoly was created. I am not sure how much farther it is now but it would be well worth the walk. Roatan was beautiful ahhhhh to be there now.

We drove in there on the 19th looking for the turtles. There is a lot of activity but it was obviously not going to be open the next day. They have moved the turtles away from the facility and beach area and the road was blocked with construction vehicles so we never did get to see them. People who like new and clean and big will like the new dock. There is a bridge to the beach, so you can walk there too. We didn't even try. We went to Parrot Tree Plantation instead. Another new nice place - we were the only people there (no cruise ships in port). The West End has been deserted each time we have been there (we have a cruise ship schedule and don't leave Palmetto Bay where we are staying on cruise days).

We drove in there on the 19th looking for the turtles. There is a lot of activity but it was obviously not going to be open the next day. They have moved the turtles away from the facility and beach area and the road was blocked with construction vehicles so we never did get to see them. People who like new and clean and big will like the new dock. There is a bridge to the beach, so you can walk there too. We didn't even try. We went to Parrot Tree Plantation instead. Another new nice place - we were the only people there (no cruise ships in port). The West End has been deserted each time we have been there (we have a cruise ship schedule and don't leave Palmetto Bay where we are staying on cruise days).

Thanks for the update on the pier -

Where is Parrot Tree Plantation, I have never heard of it. What was there?

Thanks for the update on the pier -

Where is Parrot Tree Plantation, I have never heard of it. What was there?

PTP is further up the east coast between French Harbor and Jonesville. You have to go over to Six Huts and then turn right and cross 2/3 of the width of the island to get there. Great scenic drive.

I thought PTP was a relatively new luxury condo type resort similar to Mayan Princess down in West Bay but wasn't aware that it had any daily type activities. Maybe alaskamt can fill us in.

PTP is further up the east coast between French Harbor and Jonesville. You have to go over to Six Huts and then turn right and cross 2/3 of the width of the island to get there. Great scenic drive.

I thought PTP was a relatively new luxury condo type resort similar to Mayan Princess down in West Bay but wasn't aware that it had any daily type activities. Maybe alaskamt can fill us in.

Thanks Crew - I hope to get more info, if this is like Mayan Princess we may give it a try

This is a nice new resort with a gorgeous swimming lagoon, beaches, lounge chairs and palapas. The restaurant is by the beach - open air, reasonably priced and good food. Good bartender too. I don't think they charge any fee for use either - they seemed real happy to have people there. There are high end condos and a huge marina, then you continue down the road to the beach facilities. There is also a large swimming pool behind the hotel 'condos'. I don't know if there is any snorkeling, but the lagoon does open out to the ocean. We have not been to the Mayan Princess yet so I can't compare the two.

This is a nice new resort with a gorgeous swimming lagoon, beaches, lounge chairs and palapas. The restaurant is by the beach - open air, reasonably priced and good food. Good bartender too. I don't think they charge any fee for use either - they seemed real happy to have people there. There are high end condos and a huge marina, then you continue down the road to the beach facilities. There is also a large swimming pool behind the hotel 'condos'. I don't know if there is any snorkeling, but the lagoon does open out to the ocean. We have not been to the Mayan Princess yet so I can't compare the two.

Thanks, nice to know there's other options up that way.

Word from the island is one of the ship captains would not bring his ship in because the water is not deep enough. More dredging needs to be done. They are looking at 3 weeks but by island time that could be 3 months.

Thanks snorkeler... Going to love how they handle 3 ships at Coxen Hole come mid December..:eek:

I guess I should be thankful that there are only 2 ships in port when we are in! Wait.. we docked on the right side of the pier.. another ship *can* dock on the left right? Please say yes as I hate to tender in!

Sorry, m. both piers parellel the shore line. In Coxen Hole, there is room for one ship. At the MBCC the peir is set up for 2 ships, one behind the other.

I was wondering why I had not seen any Grand Reviews of the new dock from the returning Legend, and now I know why. Does anyone know if this is effecting the shore excursions that are not being posted on the Carnival web site? We cruise in 63 days and there are no beach excursions listed for our cruise. I think they are holding out advertizing them based on how close the new port is to opening.:confused:

Has anyone heard if Mahogany Bay is going to open this week? According to their calendar, there should be 4 ships there this week.

We are in Roatan on the 8th and I really wish we knew where we were going to dock so we can finalize our plans :(

I believe the Seabourn Legend was the first ship to dock there (on Saturday, November 28th). But, I'm still waiting for a "local's confirmation" on that!

Have a great cruise...and enjoy Roatan!

We were on a private sailboat in Roatan on Tuesday, Nov. 24 and motored into the new dock area. The boat's captain (a local who knows everyone and everything about Roatan!) said the local govt tried to turn over the area to Carnival a few days ago but Carnival wouldn't accept it because the channel into the dock was too shallow. There was unit there dredging but he was getting up only a pick-up truck load of dirt with each scoop! Seems to me that it will be a miracle if they can get it opened before the end of the year. Our sailboat captain also said that Carnival definately was not going to let private vendors into the new dock area. He's been negotiating with them but no luck so far.

Went to the Mahogany Bay website http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/ and emailed someone in administration to ask when the port was going to be open. Here is her response:

Thank you for contacting us. Yes Port is open since last Saturday 28th Nov 09.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Regards,

Camilla Polenghi

Port Director's Assistant

Mahogany Bay Cruise Center

ROATAN CRUISE TERMINAL S.A. DE C.V.

Dixon Cove, Roatan, Honduras.

Tel + (504) 445-2221, 445-2223

Fax. +(504) 445-2294

download?mid=1%5f6269%5fAGoPw0MAAI%2fZSxQIAALjSEk4Ujo&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

This is good news! I will be watching the webcam for the Crown Princess tomorrow to see if they dock there.

Archived