? for those who have dealt with Carnival's rules on boarding

sdptalk

We have a Cat 12 and and inside across the hall booked on the Glory for our family of 4. We have 8 months before we sail, but I asked a Carnival rep on the phone if we will be able to board the ship at the same time in the VIP line since we have a suite booked. They said "NO"! Surely there is a way around this since we are spending a lot of money on these two rooms and really don't want to be separated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sandy

We have a Cat 12 and and inside across the hall booked on the Glory for our family of 4. We have 8 months before we sail, but I asked a Carnival rep on the phone if we will be able to board the ship at the same time in the VIP line since we have a suite booked. They said "NO"! Surely there is a way around this since we are spending a lot of money on these two rooms and really don't want to be separated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sandy

A family of 4 shouldn't be a problem with VIP. On the other hand you could always go in the regular line.

Rally depends.

If your children (teens or below) are with you and they are the ones staying in the cabin across the hall, then by all means they can go with you through VIP.

If you have another adult couple going with you, then NO. They did not pay for the privilidge of VIP checkin. Doesn't matter how much YOU paid. What about all the other people who paid? Why should they be inconvienced by having to wait for all the NON Paying NON earning NON VIP's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sandy

Even if you are not able to board together, you probably will meet up with the rest of your party on Lido shortly after you board since that is where the majority of the people will end up. Just a thought.:)

If it's your kids in the cabin across the hall, yes, you can go to VIP check-in all together. The Carnival rep will have to go get their cabin keys/cards from another location.

Don't bother asking the Carnival rep on the phone. I have seen that on site they are quite flexible. When we boarded in NY a few months ago, the people at VIP in front of us had the Carnival person going to the other area to get multiple keys (for people who were not VIP).

Easy to fix. Carnival rules on VIP boarding with more than one cabin. Every one has to be on the same S&S account. This info is on Carnival site if you want to look it up.

I am also curious about this question, I tried to look it up on the Carnival FAQS and I couldn't find it.

More info, whats the family of 4. Kids under 24, Mom, pop, sister/brother a relative. If you can;t be apart for a hr. go in the reg line with them. VIP is for people that pay and stay in the suite not all their relatives in another cabin or are along on the cruise. If everybody does this VIP will just be another line. The same thing for people that are platinum trying to bring everybody with them in the VIP line. The last 2 cruises they checked our tickets and if it dosen;t have VIP you go to the regular checkin, if it has VIP procede this way.

I always get a chuckle out of the comments to questions like this. Some folks will tell you absolutely not, no wiggle room whatsoever. Others will quote you the Carnival boarding code like one poster did and tell you that you can't deviate from the boarding rules. Others tell you sure why not? We've been cruising Carnival for 17 years. The last six cruises have been Category 11 or higher. On everyone of those cat 11 or higher cruises, we've had people with us, whether it's my MIL or someone from work. When booking, we've always had Carnival tie the two cabins together in their computer system. We have never had an occasion that our traveling companions were turned away when we were headed to VIP check in. It had nothing to do with S&S cards, type of cabins, relationships, etc. I've found that PVP's are generally more than happy to work with their customers. It certainly helps to have a pleasant attitude when calling. Yes, it's a bit of an inconvenience for the VIP folks to go out to the main area and get our companion's S&S cards, but they've always done it with a smile on their faces and I make it a point of thanking those people profusely. But when someone tells you no, absolutely not, can't be done, whatever phrase they choose, that simply is not the case. Look at it this way - if you don't ask, if you don't try, it ain't gonna happen. And the worst that can happen is they'll tell you no. You're no worse off - you're still getting on the ship as are they.

Why should people who did not pay for the priviledge of VIP boarding be entitled to it, simply because they know someone who has paid?

In this world, you should get what you paid for - and no more.

DON

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sandy

Your immediate family will be allowed to board VIP with you. ken

Easy to fix. Carnival rules on VIP boarding with more than one cabin. Every one has to be on the same S&S account. This info is on Carnival site if you want to look it up.

Everyone has their own S&S account, but they do need to be tied to the same card.

Had this issue come up in Long Beach. I set up both cabins, teens in their own cabin, using the same credit card. Carnival's computers were showing their's as a cash account. Took all of 5 extra minutes to have them go to the other line and get their cards.

lucky enough to travel with someone recently that had "VIP" privileges. When we got to the head of the line we asked if we could and the woman said sure no problem. Again many thanks all around and we moved on. No bragging.....and if we had gone through the regular line we would have been 15 minutes behind and that would have been fine too....you never know until you ask....and yes they have been on 10 Carnival Cruises so that made them a VIP on Carnival....they took advantage of my VIP status on the NCL Sun. Be polite....

Why should people who did not pay for the priviledge of VIP boarding be entitled to it, simply because they know someone who has paid?

In this world, you should get what you paid for - and no more.

DON

My take on this is "I am on vacation and I really don't care. If it takes me 10 minutes more to board because of a party traveling together so they can get on at the same time, so be it.

I always get a chuckle out of the comments to questions like this. Some folks will tell you absolutely not, no wiggle room whatsoever. Others will quote you the Carnival boarding code like one poster did and tell you that you can't deviate from the boarding rules. Others tell you sure why not? We've been cruising Carnival for 17 years. The last six cruises have been Category 11 or higher. On everyone of those cat 11 or higher cruises, we've had people with us, whether it's my MIL or someone from work. When booking, we've always had Carnival tie the two cabins together in their computer system. We have never had an occasion that our traveling companions were turned away when we were headed to VIP check in. It had nothing to do with S&S cards, type of cabins, relationships, etc. I've found that PVP's are generally more than happy to work with their customers. It certainly helps to have a pleasant attitude when calling. Yes, it's a bit of an inconvenience for the VIP folks to go out to the main area and get our companion's S&S cards, but they've always done it with a smile on their faces and I make it a point of thanking those people profusely. But when someone tells you no, absolutely not, can't be done, whatever phrase they choose, that simply is not the case. Look at it this way - if you don't ask, if you don't try, it ain't gonna happen. And the worst that can happen is they'll tell you no. You're no worse off - you're still getting on the ship as are they.

I agree! Same here with our group also........never had a problem.......

There is no harm in asking........

The kids are ours and they are 14. Yes, I do have a problem being separated! That was a stupid comment! I'm not one of those parents who think it is someone else's responsibility to watch and take care of my kids because I'm on a cruise. We are paying for the VIP treatment +. I agree with the idea of talking to someone other than phone rep. We are all on the same account; however, the kids will not be able to charge on their card. We usually put a set dollar amount on their cards and when that is gone...it's gone.

Thanks to those of you who had sensible solutions. It is appreciated!

Sandy

rickcop44,

I agree with you. I only asked this question in case we get to the port before the initial boarding process starts. I had no idea some people would freak out about our 2 kids being allowed ahead of them to go with their parents. We don't hog chairs, cut lines, push past people who have been waiting...when we are on vacation, we don't leave our manners and common courtesy at home.

Ok, I'm over it now. Ready to start planning a great vacation!

Sandy

We had the same situation about 1 1/2 years ago boarding the Imagination in Miami. we had cat 12 and an inside across the hall with anouther couple. We got conflicting information from different people at Carnival leading up tot he departure.

But on boarding say we had no issue, we arrived early checked our bags out front and all four of us wlaked into the VIP office, handed them the paper work and the nice lady said I will just take care of all of you. And we were all on board within 15-20 minutes.

IT WAS NICE! but we were prepared to have it go even way and were not going to let something like that affect our vacation either way.

Make sure your interior cabin is linked with your cabin (since I read on another post that it is for your minor child) and you will have no problems.

Carnival's rules in this area are pretty much common sense. They are not going to separate minor children from their parents just because they are in a separate cabin.

However, adults who have not earned or paid for the privilege should use the regular line. We cruised with two ladies who are our best friends...we were VIP ... they were not.

They rode down with us.....and we met them on the ship after processing. In fact, they ended up right behind us getting on the ship.

We felt no need to "impress" them with trying to get VIP service for them as well. They did just fine.

We had the same situation about 1 1/2 years ago boarding the Imagination in Miami. we had cat 12 and an inside across the hall with anouther couple. We got conflicting information from different people at Carnival leading up tot he departure.

But on boarding say we had no issue, we arrived early checked our bags out front and all four of us wlaked into the VIP office, handed them the paper work and the nice lady said I will just take care of all of you. And we were all on board within 15-20 minutes.

IT WAS NICE! but we were prepared to have it go even way and were not going to let something like that affect our vacation either way.

Exactly! That's why I tell people to just ask.........we have never had any problems either......but you hear it is a problem on these boards:rolleyes: Truth is...it is not.....

The kids are ours and they are 14. Yes, I do have a problem being separated! That was a stupid comment! I'm not one of those parents who think it is someone else's responsibility to watch and take care of my kids because I'm on a cruise. We are paying for the VIP treatment +. I agree with the idea of talking to someone other than phone rep. We are all on the same account; however, the kids will not be able to charge on their card. We usually put a set dollar amount on their cards and when that is gone...it's gone.

Sandy

It would have been a stupid comment, but you failed to mention you were talking about your kids in your OP.

We just returned from the Splendor in Long Beach, our cruise was the the week of 7/12. My brother and his 2 kids had a suite while my DH and I had a balcony. There is a VIP building there and my brother went in to check in and then he was to watch the carry ons while we checked in, in our area. Carnival invited us to check in w/ him and were told that it is no problem and it is nice to keep families together. Great treat and sure made check in easy.

So my answer to you would be yes, especially since the other 2 in your party are your teenagers!

Sandy

I think the Poster who challenged you about not being able to separate from your party for 30 minutes, did not realize it was kids we talking about. He/She may have thought it was a friend or other adult family member.

But kuddos for Carnival allowing the kids with the VIP. Expecially since I see on several deckplans adjoining rooms to a suite.

Archived