skagway car rental - time needed

tranceFusion

We did not encounter much of a line at Avis. They are pretty efficient, they do this every day.

The actual driving time from Skagway to Emerald Lake is about one and a half hours, straight through. The thing to do is to work backward from that. The return trip will not involve nearly as many stops. So if your ship leaves at 4:30, departing Caribou Crossing at about 1:30 gives you time to fill up and drop off the car and be back aboard in good time.

If you pick up the car at eight this gives you five and a half hours. Subtract the hour and a half actual travel time and you still have four hours for sightseeing and lunch. So you should have plenty of time.

I would suggest driving past Caribou Crossing to Spirit Lake Inn for lunch and then coming back to Caribou Crossing after the BBQ lunch is over and the buses leave. If you want to do the dog cart ride at Caribou Crossing it would be a good idea to make a reservation in advance.

Check out our review and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/skagway.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We did not encounter much of a line at Avis. They are pretty efficient, they do this every day.

The actual driving time from Skagway to Emerald Lake is about one and a half hours, straight through. The thing to do is to work backward from that. The return trip will not involve nearly as many stops. So if your ship leaves at 4:30, departing Caribou Crossing at about 1:30 gives you time to fill up and drop off the car and be back aboard in good time.

If you pick up the car at eight this gives you five and a half hours. Subtract the hour and a half actual travel time and you still have four hours for sightseeing and lunch. So you should have plenty of time.

I would suggest driving past Caribou Crossing to Spirit Lake Inn for lunch and then coming back to Caribou Crossing after the BBQ lunch is over and the buses leave. If you want to do the dog cart ride at Caribou Crossing it would be a good idea to make a reservation in advance.

Check out our review and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/skagway.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Well, unfortunately I just found that Avis doesn't open until 9 on Sunday, which is exactly the day that we will be here. Do you feel that this is cutting it too close? We'd hate to miss getting back on the boat :)

There can be significant lines at Avis. I was there in June, and there were at least 15 people in line. A couple were there without reservations, and left when they found out no cars available. They also are now computerised, they used to have to hand write contracts. :)

Allow 4-5 hours for the round trip Emeral Lake drive.

• 2 weeks later...
There can be significant lines at Avis. I was there in June, and there were at least 15 people in line. A couple were there without reservations, and left when they found out no cars available. They also are now computerised, they used to have to hand write contracts. :)

Allow 4-5 hours for the round trip Emeral Lake drive.

Ok, so if I get to Avis and pickup my car when they open at 9, i should be able to get there and be back on the ship for a 4:30 departure, right?

Ok, so if I get to Avis and pickup my car when they open at 9, i should be able to get there and be back on the ship for a 4:30 departure, right?

Many people have reported that Avis actually opens at 8 or 8:30 so get there early just in case ...

Archived