Shore excursions in Rome

mbwny

We will be in Rome 9/10/09 on a cruise and would like to find a reliable reputable tour guide that will pick us up at the Pier, take us to the sights that we would like to see and drop us back off at the pier. We would like to see the major things such as the Vatican, the Collesseum and would also like to visit Trastevere (the Jewish quarter) Any recommendations?

This will get you to the right place: Scroll a little further down the message board main page until you get to the Ports of Call section. Click on Europe, then click on Italy Ports. You'll find lots of information there. There are a few independent tour companies that get mentioned over and over again because they provide such good service.

Also, you didn't mention which cruise line you'll be taking, but go to the Roll Call Section and click on your cruise line and ship, then look for the roll call for the cruise with your particular dates. You'll be able to talk to others who will be on your cruise, and might even be able to share the cost of an independent tour with them.

Deb

P.S. Welcome to CruiseCritic!

We will be in Rome 9/10/09 on a cruise and would like to find a reliable reputable tour guide that will pick us up at the Pier, take us to the sights that we would like to see and drop us back off at the pier. We would like to see the major things such as the Vatican, the Collesseum and would also like to visit Trastevere (the Jewish quarter) Any recommendations?

In 2007 we visited Rome and we are very happy with Mr. Marco Bianchi (email: airpcnn@tin.it) and his company:

http://www.airportconnection.it

FOR LAST MINUTE IN ROME please check http://www.rent-rome.com

Phone From Canada & USA 011 39 06 3383221

Phone From Europe 0039 06 3383221

Fax From Canada & USA 011 39 06 97252927

Fax From Europe 0039 06 97252927

For Bus Tours of Rome please look at

http://www.rent-rome.com/SIGHTSEEING%20TOURS%20ROME.htm

Please mention that you need an English-speaking gentleman as your driver

He arranged for us every thing on time. Driver was waiting at the pier with name-board; very friendly gentleman and you may pay the driver after each trip. You may contact him and put your special request telling him the total time you will have for the visit. We enjoyed Rome! If possible spend few days there. Hope you will have a great cruise and holiday in Rome and other ports. He can also arrange car for you in other Italian ports.:)

Thanks for the info Stuttgart, will definitely look into you recommendation. I have contacted a company yourtourinitaly and received some info from them. Has anyone ever heard of them or used theM

I would also recommend that you look into Driver In Rome. During my first Med Cruise in 2006 I used them in Rome and in Florence/Pisa and thought they were wonderful.

If you join your Roll Call, you may find others on your cruise that may be willing to share a tour with you to help alleviate the costs.

http://www.driverinrome.com

I recommend http://www.romeinlimo.com

We have used this same company for years. There are many many recommendations for this company on this site. There are other good companies as well, but I have only had great experiences with this company. Almost everyone on our Roll Call used them on our last cruise. It was a blast! Talk to Jany and she can help you arrange your day to fit your schedule and so you can see just what you want to see.

Good luck and have a great time!

I have used this company for years and once again this past June. My brother in law used them in June for Naples and Rome. Only good things to say.

We took my daughter and son in law to Rome via a cruise and had Rome in Limo show them Rome. We saw more in 8 hours than anyone could possibly see on their own in 3 days.

On time, great drivers and meets your needs.

Steven

We used Rome In Limo for a shore excursion from the Civitavecchia port. We were extremely pleased with the service from beginning to the end. The booking process and communications were superb and clear. The tour guide (Antonello was ours) spoke great english, was professional, dressed well and kept his Mercedes touring van immaculate.) He picked us up at the ship with a sign with our names. He described the itinerary and asked a few questions like "will we want a long sit-down lunch or a quick sandwich spot so we can optimize how many things we could see?". He took us to a beautiful off-the-beaten-path church in Rome where we could actually touch a Michaelangelo sculpture. He also knew what time of day was best to avoid long lines. Last point - my daughter left her camera in the van and Jany (the one we communicated with in the Rome In Limo office when booking) had the camera shipped to our US home without charge. We could not have been happier with this company. http://www.romeinlimo.com

:) We used Rome in Limo for our tour earlier this month. Duman was our driver and we hired a private guide for the day (Catarina, I think). She was lovely and extremely informative. Her knowledge of the city, its history, and the Vatican were amazing. We gathered a group from the message boards.

The company is extremely professional. We saw so much of Rome and were able to go in areas a bus couldn't possibly navigate. You will be very pleased.

A little over a year ago, we used Rome in Limo during our trip to Rome after getting a small group together (to keep the cost down) through cruise critic. It worked out well, and we were all pleased with Rome in Limo. In my view, the most important thing in Rome is to avoid the cruise excursions- those who went on these were only able to see a fraction of what we saw. We felt so lucky to have been on a Rome in Limo tour instead.

A little over a year ago, we used Rome in Limo during our trip to Rome after getting a small group together (to keep the cost down) through cruise critic. It worked out well, and we were all pleased with Rome in Limo. In my view, the most important thing in Rome is to avoid the cruise excursions- those who went on these were only able to see a fraction of what we saw. We felt so lucky to have been on a Rome in Limo tour instead.

Hi Jade0308,

We also booked our tour with then for our upcoming cruise in two weeks:).

We are now struggling to try to decide what to see in the limited time (and we have a big group 30+ old and small). Can you tell us what places have you been and did you buy the tickets ahead of time or they took care of everything?

Thanks!

Hi Jade0308,

We are now struggling to try to decide what to see in the limited time (and we have a big group 30+ old and small). Can you tell us what places have you been and did you buy the tickets ahead of time or they took care of everything?

Thanks!

We had a group of about 30 people as as we were in Rome for a few days before the cruise we used them to do two separate days in Rome. One day we did Vatican & St. Peter's Basilica which was awesome. The second day we did the Coliseum and Forum. The Vatican is very crowded, but we loved it. We also loved our Highlights of Rome which included the Coliseum and Forum. Try and get to Trevi Fountain. I thought Spanish Steps weren't really worth the time, but other people like it.

Our tour guide for both days was Sarah. SHe was an Art History major from Florence and was the highlight of our tours. She was great and Jany was very good at getting back to us with answers to our questions.

Teresa

• 2 weeks later...
Here's another to throw in the mix :p

Try Stefano with Romecabs - very professional and highly recommended here on CC.

We used them four times our last trip !

We're just back from the Oceania Insignia Mediterranean cruise 7/26-8/9. While in Rome we used RomeCabs and luckily, Stefano was our driver. I cannot say enough about how wonderfully professional he was. We too wanted to visit the Synagogue and the Jewish Ghetto. Stefano was able to take us to the antiquities and timed our arrival in the Ghetto so that we could do the tour of the Synagogue. (Don't miss this temple, it is the most beautiful I have ever seen. There is a nice gift shop too. :)) He recommended a good place in the quarter for lunch (Ba 'Ghetto, dee-lish!). He had every facet of our time with him under control so as to get us back to the ship in time, and yet we felt we had much flexibility in what we wanted to do. It was a fabulous day, thanks to Stefano.

• 1 month later...
Hi Jade0308,

Thanks!

Oh no- I did not see this on time to respond before your cruise- I hope it was wonderful!

Archived