skagway: rail, emerald lake etc.

goldamo

Is it possible to find a trip that takes the white pass rail at least one way but also stop at liarsville and emerald lake? Is emerald lake a don't miss stop?

Is liarsville close enough to town to do when we return? So many things to do and so little time. We leave this weekend and the whole family is so excited!! Thanks

None of the extended rail/bus tours to Emerald Lake go to Liarsville as well. I don't know if any of the Liarsville-only tours would be available when you get back from Emerald Lake, but I doubt it (and I have to say that Liarsville is very low on my list of things to do in Skagway).

Do you know if the gold panning in Juneau is any better than liarsville? My 9 year old researched the topic and has been looking forward to trying it.

Maybe I'll buy a pan in the gift shop, a vial of gold and search for a river. :rolleyes:

Thanks

The rail/bus tours to Emerald Lake all stop at Caribou Crossing, where you can pan for gold for $11 (without a Liarsville "show"). You can also pan at the Klondike Gold Dredge in Skagway but your timing will be a problem for that.

Perfect, pan for gold, skip the hoopla.

Do you recommend booking direct or through the cruise ship?

Also I read that you should sit on the left side of the train but that didn't say if you were going up or down at the time. Do you have any opinions about that?

And since you know so much, how and where should I book my husband and son for salmon fishing? I'm afraid if I book through the cruise line, it will be a huge boat with little time actually fishing.

thank you.

My husband loved the experience. I believe we booked it in town at one of those private stands near the docks. I thought it was sweet watching him like a little boy all excited. The water was cold on the hands and bending was hard on the back, but it was probably one of the favorite things he did our first time in Alaska. Do it!

Also I read that you should sit on the left side of the train but that didn't say if you were going up or down at the time. Do you have any opinions about that?

For the train, preferred seating:

Left on the way UP

Right on the way DOWN

For the bus, (in case you take the train one-way and bus on the way back)

Right on the way UP

Left on the way DOWN

Archived