Venice Disembarkation

T739

You don't say what time your cruise docks but if you dock early in the morning it should be possible to get to the airport and make that flight. If you dock later in the morning, you need to find another flight. IMHO.

The cruise port is about 5 miles from the major airport but there is a causeway that connects Venice to the Mainland. There are taxis and car services that you can reserve and that would be able to make to the airport from the port on a good traffic day in less than an hour.

Check out this web site for additional information.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

We used it a lot before our stay in Venice several years ago and it has just gotten better since.

Hopefully you will make some time to see Venice before trying to catch a plane. It is a fantastic and interesting city that deserves a visit.

Have a great next cruise.

You don't say when you are sailing so I can only relate our viewpoint from a May disembarkation standpoint. We had taken the cruise line's (Princess) airport transfer and that went well but it is a long way from the cruise dock to the airport.

Once we got to the airport it was an absolute nightmare. Just the worst ever. Princess' responsibility was over and we were on our own, in a foreign country. Bags were just pretty much dumped at the entrance to the airport door, in no particular order, there were no porters, the luggage carts were in short supply, signage for how to get to your specific airline check in was impossible.

I have never seen such chaotic check in lines in my life. Our check in lines did not open until, I believe, 11:00 a.m. and even though there were hundreds of pax in haphazardly created lines, and we could see the gate agents, nobody would open. They were chatting and laughing. Once the the windows opened, they opened one at a time so the crowds did not dissipate easily. There were no ropes or any way to indicate where the front of the line was. So you can imagine the jostling for position. :eek:

With all due respect to Chinese people in general (my daughter is presently living in Hong Kong) one of them would get "in line" and then let their friends and acquaintances in as they arrived from their taxis or shuttles. So from one person standing in line I would guess that person probably let in no fewer than 25 people. And there were several of them doing this. Again, I mean no disrespect to the people or to the culture. Some of those in that line just had bad manners, and that can occur with any nationality.

So, to answer your question: If there are a lot of cruise ships in Venice disembarking on that day, I would strongly recommend a flight in the afternoon.

Our flight was also late departing and we had a connection in Amsterdam that was very close, as did many other people on the flight. I will always remember our pilot coming on the p.a. and saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, I am flying as fast as I can!" He got us there in time to make our connection. :)

Venice was lovely and was one of our favorite ports. When we return we will add a day at the end of the cruise to avoid the departing cruise ship passengers at the airport and to enjoy a full day of Venice at our leisure.

We flew out of Venice after a 2007 Veendam cruise. The airport was even worse than described by Sparkle56 (except for the Chinese part - I don't recall anything like that.) The airport is very small. Have Euros ready for the luggage carts outside, but I couldn't get them to work or used the wrong coins. The lines were impossible inside. Most people would end up in the wrong very long lines as the line locations made no sense. We and many others were in at least two lines before we found the correct one. We were at the airport in plenty of time, but barely made our flight. (And all this was the best part of the trip home, but that is another story.)

We took HAL's transportation. They know how long it will take and will get you there in time. Take some euro coins for the luggage cart. Print your boarding pass out ahead of time.

Most Venice flights are in the morning.

When we disembarked in Venice we stayed an extra 3 days, but even so, disembarkation was a nightmare and it was raining. Even though I had vacationed in Venice several times before and knew the 'Venice way of doing things', I really underestimated this time. I won't get into the rest of my story because it's about getting a water taxi to our hotel and you are asking about ship to airport.

I highly suggest taking a HAL airport transfer. It is a long way from the ship to the airport and can be difficult to manage figuring it out on your own. Also, you might consider changing your flight to leave the next day and overnight in Venice.

We have only flown out of the new airport once and that was four years ago, all the other times were at the old airport. Anyway, that flight was an early morning flight, about 7:30 or so and don't remember lines or confusion being like the others have said, probably because it was so early.....another good reason to stay an extra day.

Enjoy Venice, it is wonderful.

Thank you all for your helpful remarks. It sounds as if chaos will be plentiful.

First of all, we are arriving in Venice next July a full day before the cruise, and then we embark and the Nieuw Amsterdam overnights before sailing the next afternoon. Thus we have 3 days in Venice before the cruise. That would not prevent us from staying overnight again after the cruise if that would ease the stress.

Small world, I have a son in Qingdao, China and he frequently relates the cultural differences in the que process.

I'm leaning toward the HAL transfer if we do not stay over.

And another small world thing or two re: both Sharon of AZ and the OP.

I think Sharon may have been on the same cruise I was referring to--Emerald Princess, April 30, 2008, Barcelona to Venice.

And, small world story 2--one daughter lives in Hong Kong, Lantau Island (until October when she returns to practice veterinary medicine in Minnesota) and my oldest daughter lives in Jacksonville!

It sounds like we all agree. Venice is fabulous. The airport is not. Stay an extra day or two before and after if possible. :)

Archived