Live from Tahitian B2B Transatlantic

paul929207

Thanks much for the updates, Paul. Loved all the info about Greenland and Iceland.

We're leaving tomorrow and will be in Dover on Sunday. I'm still packing, as I'm having a hard time deciding what clothes to take and what to leave.

See you soon!

Martha and Sam

If your clothing choice is between warm weather and cold weather, take the stuff for cold weather. Today, it is in the low 60's. Ths is by far the warmest day we have had since we left NYC.

If your clothing choice is between warm weather and cold weather, take the stuff for cold weather. Today, it is in the low 60's. Ths is by far the warmest day we have had since we left NYC.

August 5 – Isafjordur (Continued)

After a beautiful sailaway, we quickly found the fog. The fog horns were still blaring when we went to bed.

August 6 – Akureyri

We are having a lovely day in Iceland’s second largest city (population about 17,000). With four other people from our roll call, we hired a taxi. This had been lined up in advance. We traveled first to Godafoss Waterfall. It was here in 1000 AD that the king of Iceland declared that the country would convert to Christianity. To celebrate the event, he threw all his Norse icons into the falls.

Then we went to Lake Myvatn and visited the Myvatn NatureBaths. We all decided not to go into the baths which are fed by water from the hot springs. Next we stopped at the fissure that runs across Iceland where the North American plate is moving away from the Euro/Asian plate.

When we got back to Akureyri, we made a brief stop at the Botanical Gardens before returning to the ship. Total cost was $55 per person.

If you are not interested in a tour, the city has free bus service.

After lunch, I walked into town. It took me nearly 10 minutes, but I am a fast walker. The ship said 15 to 20 minutes.

Sounds like a lovely and quite inexpensive day there Paul. Many times getting together with others to share a private tour we find the best way to see what we want.

Fog horns going off at bedtime hey? One hint, ear plugs. lol

Thanks for the update!

Paul, Thanks for the updates. We'll be on the Crown in September and will be stopping in Akureyri. Our itinerary says that we will tender, but some on our roll call who have organized tours said their contacts indicated that we would dock. Did you dock or tender? We have an 8 a.m. tour that might be difficult if we have to tender with 3000 other passengers.

Thanks again for any iinformation. We're really looking forward to our cruise.

Paul, Thanks for the updates. We'll be on the Crown in September and will be stopping in Akureyri. Our itinerary says that we will tender, but some on our roll call who have organized tours said their contacts indicated that we would dock. Did you dock or tender? We have an 8 a.m. tour that might be difficult if we have to tender with 3000 other passengers.

Thanks again for any iinformation. We're really looking forward to our cruise.

We docked, but we are the only ship in town today. Tomorrow, there will be four, so some will have to anchor.

August 6 – Akureyri (Continued)

Sailaway from Akureyri is a beautiful and long event. Akureyri sits at the end on a long fjord. So tonight was a great time to have second seating. We bundled up and sat outside until about 6:30pm when we finally reached the sea. A little later we crossed the Artic circle and were above it for about 30 minutes.

Tonight we set our clocks ahead another hour. This will put us 5 hours ahead of the Eastern US.

It got foggy during the evening, so we went to slept to the melodious sound of the fog horn.

August 7 – At Sea

It is still foggy this morning, but not bad enough for the fog horn.

To night will be the third formal night and the last one for the cruise from NYC to Dover. We will have three more on the way back. Before dinner there is a cocktail party.

It is nearly 6pm and off the starboard side, we are passing the Faroe Islands. These are Danish islands that we will visit on the return trip to NYC.

August 6 – Akureyri (Continued)

Sailaway from Akureyri is a beautiful and long event. Akureyri sits at the end on a long fjord. So tonight was a great time to have second seating. We bundled up and sat outside until about 6:30pm when we finally reached the sea. A little later we crossed the Artic circle and were above it for about 30 minutes.

Tonight we set our clocks ahead another hour. This will put us 5 hours ahead of the Eastern US.

It got foggy during the evening, so we went to slept to the melodious sound of the fog horn.

August 7 – At Sea

It is still foggy this morning, but not bad enough for the fog horn.

To night will be the third formal night and the last one for the cruise from NYC to Dover. We will have three more on the way back. Before dinner there is a cocktail party.

It is nearly 6pm and off the starboard side, we are passing the Faroe Islands. These are Danish islands that we will visit on the return trip to NYC.

Enjoying your journey. Looking forward to the Faroe Islands on your return trip.

Hi Paul

Just wondering if you can please do something for me. Tuesday 11th is Stef's birthday. If you remember and if you see her would you wish her a Happy Birthday from us at home. Please tell her we are thinking of her and we are looking forward to seeing her in 2 weeks.

If you don't see her don't worry too much as she may be packing all her stuff as she gets off the next day.

Thank you so much.

Ruth

Enjoy your day in the Shetlands Paul.

Its 5.30 am in the morning there as I post,

and on checking the cams I see Lerwick has the flags out all ready to Welcome you.

Sorry to go off topic, but......David, we just booked R/T on the Sapphire for Fall, 2010. You going to be home? :D

Hi Paul

Just wondering if you can please do something for me. Tuesday 11th is Stef's birthday. If you remember and if you see her would you wish her a Happy Birthday from us at home. Please tell her we are thinking of her and we are looking forward to seeing her in 2 weeks.

If you don't see her don't worry too much as she may be packing all her stuff as she gets off the next day.

Thank you so much.

Ruth

I will try to find her that day.

I will try to find her that day.

August 8 – Lerwich, Shetland Island, Scotland

We had a wonderful tour today. Cruise Critic member Cboyle planned it and a total of eight of us went. The guide/driver was waiting for us when the local authorities cleared the ship and we got off. We drove all over the Northmavane (the northern part of the main island. Temperature is warm today. I have not heard the temp, but it must be in the 60’s. There are a lot of people on the back deck as we prepare to sail.

We had a wonderful tour today. Cruise Critic member Cboyle planned it and a total of eight of us went. The guide/driver was waiting for us when the local authorities cleared the ship and we got off. We drove all over the Northmavane (the northern part of the main island. Temperature is warm today. I have not heard the temp, but it must be in the 60’s. There are a lot of people on the back deck as we prepare to sail.

Sounds wonderful. Enjoy the warm weather.

Sorry to go off topic, but......David, we just booked R/T on the Sapphire for Fall, 2010. You going to be home? :D

More than likely, but thats a long way off yet Pia.

We had a wonderful tour today. Cruise Critic member Cboyle planned it and a total of eight of us went.

Glad you enjoyed your day Paul. Your Shetland call was of great interest to me down here as my family came from there in the early 1900's.

From one side of the world to the other.

Looking forward to following your calls in Norway.

Enjoy the heat wave. ;) It was 92 here today.

Does the Tahitian Princess still have ice cream in the buffet area each afternoon about 3:30?

It has been eliminated on the bigger ships that now have free soft serve in the Scoops area on deck.

Yes, each afternoon there is ice cream in the buffet area. It is served where the carvery and fresh pasta is served at lunch time. There are two or three kinds plus assorted toppings and fresh cookies.

Yes, each afternoon there is ice cream in the buffet area. It is served where the carvery and fresh pasta is served at lunch time. There are two or three kinds plus assorted toppings and fresh cookies.

August 8 – Lerwich, Shetland Island, Scotland (Continued)

The ship will convert US$ to GB Pounds and the reverse. The spread between the rates is such that if you give them $100 then take the Pounds they give you and convert them back to $, you will have $83.81. I forgot to include the $3.50 transaction fee. That would reduce the original hundred to about $77.

We turn the clocks ahead for the last time tonight. That will make us 6 hours ahead of the Eastern US.

August 9 – Bergen, Norway

We awoke this morning to mostly cloudy skies as we were docking in Bergen. I think it is in the low 50’s. The temperatures are climbing. Many people have changed to shorts. We sat out on our balcony for about an hour. This is the first time we have sat there since we left Brooklyn.

We are in ports three days in a row (Lerwick, Bergen and Kristiansan) with only one port day before them. Martyn, our port talker, gave a talk on Bergen during the sea day. The talks for the other two ports are recorded and shown on TV on Channel 43.

August 10 – Kristiansand, Norway

This is a pretty little town. We spent nearly two hours walking to, around and from the town. It is about ½ mile from the ship to town. There is also a tourist train that runs from the ship to town. It is $14 for unlimited rides today.

Archived