Heli-Glacier: Skagway vs. Juneau?

emerald772

I am a first time visitor to the area taking a RC cruise in late August; well, it will be September by the time we make it to either stop; trying to decide between a Glacier-Helicopter tour in Skagway or Juneau . . . I definitely want to walk on a glacier, beyond that I had no designs.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

I did the heli in Juneau. I decided which port based on which was first. From what I understand sometimes the trips are cancelled due to weather. So I booked the trip at the first port just incase it was cancelled. I would have another opportunity.

I felt the same; I had to walk on a Glacier. You won't be disappointed. It was truly an amazing experince!

I appreciate the advice to just book at the first port. I'd been hoping to also get a suggestion/opinion if the experience at Juneau is better/same as at Skagway (we hit up that port first) but it would probably be hard to find a person who has done them at both since it's one of the pricier excursions.

I'm at 30 days til cruise; so excited!

Ultimately it's the weather and the pilot you go with that make one of these flights better or worse - both Skagway and Juneau offer superb flightseeeing opportunities. I agree that it's best to book for your first port, as weather often cancels them.

I appreciate the advice to just book at the first port. I'd been hoping to also get a suggestion/opinion if the experience at Juneau is better/same as at Skagway (we hit up that port first) but it would probably be hard to find a person who has done them at both since it's one of the pricier excursions.

I'm at 30 days til cruise; so excited!

You are going to LOVE the whole experince. I can only speak of Juneau and it was great. Not sure which would be better. I'm not sure how different one glacier walk would vary from the next. It sounds stange as I type it. I think I'm saying it would be the highlight of your cruise at either port (probably). Enjoy yourself!

I did the heli glacier trek out of skagway because I also wanted to whale watch and couldn't work it out to do both with short port times. I went with temsco and walked on the Mead Glacier. It was fabulous! The heli pad is very close to the port, Skagway isn't that big, so less time wasted on transporting too. I was impressed with their operation, seemed very safety oriented.

I don't think you will be disappointed on either glacier. We had fabulous weather.

Archived