Quick men's formal night dress question

Ok guys, I'm well aware of the advised dress guidelines for formal night but I'd appreciate some advice with my particular situation if that's ok. The wife and I are off on our first cruise on IOS this Saturday

I had planned to wear a plain black suit with some sort of patterned black tie and a white shirt for formal night, but I've discovered the suit no longer fits.

I have two more suits; a grey one (not particularly 'light' or 'dark', probably somewhere in the middle) with a pin stripe, and a navy blue one with a pin stripe.

Now, I have no intention of pruchasing a tuxedo as I simply won't get the wear out of it. I do wear suits for work though so I can buy more if need be.

What I want to know is whether I am going to be out of place in one of my two suits that I have because of the colour? What is the reality of men's formal night dress; are the majority in tuxedos or black suits or are there a fair percentage simply wearing a suit?

Ok guys, I'm well aware of the advised dress guidelines for formal night but I'd appreciate some advice with my particular situation if that's ok. The wife and I are off on our first cruise on IOS this Saturday

I had planned to wear a plain black suit with some sort of patterned black tie and a white shirt for formal night, but I've discovered the suit no longer fits.

I have two more suits; a grey one (not particularly 'light' or 'dark', probably somewhere in the middle) with a pin stripe, and a navy blue one with a pin stripe.

Now, I have no intention of pruchasing a tuxedo as I simply won't get the wear out of it. I do wear suits for work though so I can buy more if need be.

What I want to know is whether I am going to be out of place in one of my two suits that I have because of the colour? What is the reality of men's formal night dress; are the majority in tuxedos or black suits or are there a fair percentage simply wearing a suit?

Suits are fine, believe me. My DH wore a bow tie and everything the first formal night and there were only a handful in tux's most were in suits and tie's, they all looked very smart. So he just wore his suit the next 2 formal nights. Not all were black, one gentleman had on a white suit and he looked lovely and not out of place.

SotonJoe - let me know what you will be wearing and I will look out for you and say Hi! i will be the one wearing a DJ one or two sizes too small. I wear it once a year, if that, and I dare not/can't be bothered trying it on before the cruise. So that is going to be a bit of a gamble! I might end up eating in WJ in my shorts on formal nights

Our first cruise was rather short notice. I work in a hospital and wear scrubs to work so I have little to no need for dress clothes. That cruise I wore slacks, a shirt and tie. I did not feel out of place in the dining room and could have cared less what anyone else thought. You'll only feel out of place if you're self conscience about your apperance.

If it worries you, you could always rent a tux for the cruise. That's what I decided to do on our second cruise and it worked out fine. After that, we realized we'd be cruising more in the future and I purchased my own tux, just for cruising. Now with the way airlines are charging for extra baggage I'm thinking it may work out cheaper if I just rented a tux rather than bringing mine along.

Every cruise we've been on (mostly in the summer) suits are always the majority & some just in shirt and ties and every color -- don't think the color makes any difference there is no guidelines on color if u wear a jacket and tie you are more than fine for formal nights--

don't sweat it just enjoy your vacation.

Every cruise we've been on (mostly in the summer) suits are always the majority & some just in shirt and ties and every color -- don't think the color makes any difference there is no guidelines on color if u wear a jacket and tie you are more than fine for formal nights--

don't sweat it just enjoy your vacation.

...Just try not to 'clash' with your significant other LOL We've met people on several cruises who come to formal night in a nice shirt (no tie) and sweater. They looked fine. No judgements should be made.

Our last cruise there weren't too many tuxes, I didn't really notice until we entered the dinning room and I heard someone's wife say "see, you're not the only one" and I waved at him as we passed (My son and I always wear a tux - my son likes to pretend a he's a spy and would wear the tux to school if we didn't stop him). Don't worry about it, you'll look nice and blend right in. We always get looks only because my son (now 8) wears a tux, otherwise I'm sure nobody really cares.;)

SotonJoe - let me know what you will be wearing and I will look out for you and say Hi! i will be the one wearing a DJ one or two sizes too small. I wear it once a year, if that, and I dare not/can't be bothered trying it on before the cruise. So that is going to be a bit of a gamble! I might end up eating in WJ in my shorts on formal nights

heh ... may see you at the meet and mingle if you're going! I'll probably take a navy blue pin stripe suit.

I'd try the tux on if I were you. I was sure my black suit would still fit but tried it on just to check. It turned out the jacket was huge and the trousers a little tight all over. It was a strange combination and not a good look!!!:D

Archived