Royal Caribbean gave my cabin away in error.

I have a group of 12 cabins booked on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the seas. All balcony cabins all together. Royal Caribbean gave one of those cabins away in error. They have admitted to the error but it has taken 6 days for them to find another cabin in that area. The cabin they found us is in the same vicinity but not right aside of the others as originally planned, and it's a little more forward. Shouldn't Royal Caribbean offer us some sort of good will gesture for having to deal with this? They were offering the people they were trying to get our cabin back from one and they said no...so why shouldn't we get offered one too? What are your thoughts?

If the error was on RCI's part why do the people who presently have the cabin have the right to not give it up? RCI should simply tell them they made a mistake and maybe offer them something for their trouble. But it seems like the cabin should be yours if you want it.

They might be planning to provide some goodies to whoever's in that cabin upon arrival (chocolate covered cherries, a bottle of wine, whatever) as a form of compensation.

I'm not sure they need to offer the occupants of that cabin any monetary compensation:

1. They're on the cruise;

2. They're in the same "level" of balcony cabin (I assume);

3. The only difference is that they're not immediately next door to the rest of your party, but in easy walking distance ("the same vicinity").

The only problem I see is if they needed to be in an adjoining room with their children for example, and the family became split because of this. If that's the case, then possibly rearranging the occupants in your group (I don't know the makeup of your group) could alleviate that issue.

Call me a doormat if you wish, but I realize that mistakes happen, and if I were the separated party, I'd just say "Oh, well," and continue planning for the cruise. And if I were not the separated party, I'd offer to switch with them, so they can stay with everyone else. But that's just me, and I'm by no means suggesting you should do the same.

--Michael

NOTE: I write this while OceanBoy and LuckyPrincess were writing theirs. Just goes to show how people handle things differently.

They told me they offered them OBC and an upgrade and they refused. Well they haven't offered me or any of my other guests any OBC. They did say they would put me in for a possible upgrade to a JR. Suite but that doesn't get determined until the week before sailng (72 hours.) They did upgrade me from a D2 to a D1...but the D1 is really the same cabin, only difference is it can accomodate 3 people with a pull out sofa. The D1 they offered me is actually more forward than our other cabin was. They want an answer today if we will accept this but I feel as though I should be requesting some sort of other compensation also.

They told me they offered them OBC and an upgrade and they refused. Well they haven't offered me or any of my other guests any OBC. They did say they would put me in for a possible upgrade to a JR. Suite but that doesn't get determined until the week before sailng (72 hours.) They did upgrade me from a D2 to a D1...but the D1 is really the same cabin, only difference is it can accomodate 3 people with a pull out sofa. The D1 they offered me is actually more forward than our other cabin was. They want an answer today if we will accept this but I feel as though I should be requesting some sort of other compensation also.

It doesn't hurt to tell them what you 'want' is your cabin back. Then tell them that their own reps have let you know that it was RCCL's mistake. Then let them know that what you will accept is the same thing they offered the folks that now have YOUR cabin - obc and an upgrade only if someone wants it. If you are pleasant but firm you can try to ask to speak to someone higher up than who you are speaking to, too. Good luck. Let us know what they say.

What type of cabin did you have booked? Is it one that is in demand? Do you know what RCI offered the other couple? How long ago did you make the reservation?

If the error was on RCI's part why do the people who presently have the cabin have the right to not give it up? RCI should simply tell them they made a mistake and maybe offer them something for their trouble. But it seems like the cabin should be yours if you want it.

I'm not sure I agree. It would depend on the situation. A few yrs. ago we had a corner aft cabin booked. We had booked it over 1yr in advance. A few months prior to the cruise, we get a call that the cabin was supposed to have been booked along with others along the aft and for some reason it wasn't. I never completely got the full story. I'm not sure if it was a TA error or RCI's. We always book aft cabins (preferrably the corners) well in advance to secure the specific cabin we would like to have. They offered us $100 OBC to move. We declined...we had this cabin booked for a year. If it had been a regular cabin, we would have moved. After much back and forth, they (not sure if it came out of TA's pocket or RCI's or both) offered to move us to a Grand Suite. I countered with them paying the balance of our cruise and a couple hundred of dollars in OBC. We moved.

I'm trying to remember the name of the department we dealt with. It was conflict resolutions or something like that. I can look it up if you are interested. If RCI made the mistake, yes, I think they should offer you some type of compensation. How much I guess would depend on the type of cabin you booked and how long ago it was booked. Or maybe RCI could sweeten the deal a little to get the other party to change cabins. Good luck.

*edit* I was writing while you posted. I see that you had a D2 cabin. Nothing out of the ordinary. Is there anything that makes this a desirable cabin?

This is a group and I booked these cabins almost a year ago. Specifically to have the cabins all together. We are on the 9th floor midship in Balconies. The cabin they have offered us is as they put it an "upgrade" to a D1. I don't consider it an upgrade considering it is the exact same cabin but in a less desirable location. It is more forward. The only compensation they have offered me is to put my name in for an upgrade to a Jr. Suite but cant promise it will be done and wouldn't be done until 72 hours before sailing. The problem with this is: 1. It may not even happen and then I end up w/no compensation at all. 2. Even if they do it...then the chance is I end up on a completly different deck away from the rest of my group. There is a Jr. Suite right next to my group that I asked them to upgrade us to so that we would not be book any further away from all of us that we already have gotten. I have to give them an anwer today if we will accept this D1 cabin and I am not sure if I should be pushing more for them to compensate us more for something they did in error. This has been such a major hassle.

I think I'd put it to them this way. I booked the cabin first, it's your mistake, you explain to the other guests why they are being moved. End of story. You should not have to change cabins for RCI's mistake. RCI must fess up to the mistake with the other guests and offer them a different cabin or a refund. End of story.

Who are you working with and do you have a TA? Are you working with customer service or a specific dept. I think I would ask for the specific JS you would like to have. Or you could figure out the difference of what you paid for your cabin and the current cost of a JS and ask for that amount in OBC and then take the D1 they are offering. I think that sounds reasonable.

I tried to just say that.....didn't work. All thier response was that they offered for them to move and they won't. Then came up w/the other cabin for us. So, at least they have come up with a cabin. But I really don't feel as though they have done anything for us to make up for this mistake, and hassle and the fact that we don't have the same cabin we booked almost a year ago.

I am the TA and they are still not helping me!!!! This is not my first group booked with them. I don't do a ton of business with them, about one group a year. But I really don't think they have handled this well. My clients do not want the cabin they are offering. So the only option I have is to move my cabin to the D1 they are offering and my client can have my cabin seeing as it is with all the rest of the cabin block that they originally had (it's all their family) So I will end up moving my cabin so my client can have that one. But my thought is that Royal Caribbean should be doing more for me.

I agree with the other posters here, I would push back telling them that you had the cabin booked for over a year, then they messed up. Either they fix it (by moving the new occupants) or compensate you with more than a move from a D2 to D1 (in my mind this is not an upgrade especially if it is not in an area of the ship you want to be in).

Stick to your guns being polite and stating just the facts. Don't get emotional or nasty and you will be fine. If you don't get a positive response at first, ask for a supervisor and keep going up the chain until you get an answer you are happy with.

You say you have to give them an answer today, what did they say they will do if you say no?

They did not say what they would do. I was after them because they gave my clients cabin away last Thursday and it was taking them so long to resolve this that I called them each day. Yesterday morning they offered me the D1. I told them I would speak to my clients. I hadn't gotten back to them yet and last night they sent me another email asking me to let them know what the client decided. My client is a little ticked. Glad they did come up with some sort of resolution (they have been very understanding) but do feel as though Royal Caribbean should offer us something other than a D1 upgrade. It's not where they wanted to be. I have let them know I would take that and they could have mine but they feel as though if I do that Royal Caribbean should do somthing more.

Honestly, it sounds like they're letting them bully you. You're the customer- they are the ones who screwed up, and they need to come up with a solution that makes you happy (as long as your expectations are reasonable- and it sounds like yours are). They need an answer today- great. The answer to what they've offered so far is "no." Tell them what you would be happy with- Whether it's a specific JS (assuming you've checked and that one is open) or OBC or whatever. If the rep you're speaking with can't offer that, ask nicely to speak with someone higher up the chain of command. As long as you remain calm but firm and keep your requests reasonable (ie you're not going to get a free cruise in a full suite out of this, obviously), someone will be able to work with you- you've just got to work your way up to the right person. Do your best to get the idea out of your head that your only options are what they are offering. You're the one in a powerful position here, not RCCL- they need to make you happy.

I do feel like they are taking advantage of me in this situation but I have been afraid to push it. I don't want to tick them off. But yes, there is a Jr. Suite right next to the cabin I am booked in now. My first solution to them when they couldn't get my clients cabin back and they told me they were going to offer the people in that cabin a good will gesture such as Upgrade and OBC to move that " I should be the one with the upgrade" I'm the one who has a problem because of this..not the people that got my cabin. I'm not looking for a free cruise. I believe that I should be upgraded to the Jr. Suite and not have to wait until 72 hours before the cruise to find out if I get one and then even it may not be near the rest of my group. So I guess I really need advice on how to push my wants to them without ticking them off but stating my case in a way that sounds reasonable and makes them realize that is what they should do to make things right. I should not have to settle.

From personal experience when ever I have an issue whomever I'm talking to I always tell them lets step away from the situation and lets change positions. What about if you were in my shoes? I am a travel agent trying to keep my client happy, so that they will enjoy their cruise. Royal Caribbean give my cabin away that I booked a year in advance, and now I'm the one being inconvenienced? That's not fair, if they are still giving you a hard time you have to escalate it up top. You have a group booking you aren't a sole traveler. You have some clout use that as leverage. Hope it all goes well.

I do feel like they are taking advantage of me in this situation but I have been afraid to push it. I don't want to tick them off. But yes, there is a Jr. Suite right next to the cabin I am booked in now. My first solution to them when they couldn't get my clients cabin back and they told me they were going to offer the people in that cabin a good will gesture such as Upgrade and OBC to move that " I should be the one with the upgrade" I'm the one who has a problem because of this..not the people that got my cabin. I'm not looking for a free cruise. I believe that I should be upgraded to the Jr. Suite and not have to wait until 72 hours before the cruise to find out if I get one and then even it may not be near the rest of my group. So I guess I really need advice on how to push my wants to them without ticking them off but stating my case in a way that sounds reasonable and makes them realize that is what they should do to make things right. I should not have to settle.

I think what you're saying is perfectly reasonable. I'm not sure I get why you're so worried about "ticking them off." They're the ones who ticked you off, and now they're the ones that have to fix it. As long as you remain calm but persistent, you're not going to offend anyone. You don't even have to argue with the rep you're speaking with- just say that if s/he can't help you, you'd like to speak with his or her supervisor to see what they can offer. Just be confident in what would make you happy (sounds like you are) and then be calm but persistent in moving up the ladder until you come to an agreement that you're satisfied with.

I think what you're saying is perfectly reasonable. I'm not sure I get why you're so worried about "ticking them off." They're the ones who ticked you off, and now they're the ones that have to fix it. As long as you remain calm but persistent, you're not going to offend anyone. You don't even have to argue with the rep you're speaking with- just say that if s/he can't help you, you'd like to speak with his or her supervisor to see what they can offer. Just be confident in what would make you happy (sounds like you are) and then be calm but persistent in moving up the ladder until you come to an agreement that you're satisfied with.

Agree with this 100%, so go ahead and give a call to Royal now and let us know the results! We are rooting for you!!

I'm trying to be confident and I have just been so stressed out fighting this battle since last thursday. I have been lucky in the sense that my clients have been very reasonable but I think they feel as I am settling also and I don't want to give them that impression. All of your help has been so great and it's giving me more confidence that I had.

I'm sorry, I would think you would want to be further away from your group. If anything goes wrong on this cruise, they are going to be talking about you and you'll be able to hear right through the walls. Thank goodness I don't work in a field where people expect compensation everytime I make a mistake. Can you imagine.

Hey TA, have you ever made a mistake that couldn't be fixed with a bottle of wine? What did you do? Offer money? A free cruise?

Basically, human beings make mistake, and in the scheme of things this one may end up being a blessing in disguise. Those walls are thin and I prefer my neighbors to be strangers.

From personal experience when ever I have an issue whomever I'm talking to I always tell them lets step away from the situation and lets change positions. What about if you were in my shoes? I am a travel agent trying to keep my client happy, so that they will enjoy their cruise. Royal Caribbean give my cabin away that I booked a year in advance, and now I'm the one being inconvenienced? That's not fair, if they are still giving you a hard time you have to escalate it up top. You have a group booking you aren't a sole traveler. You have some clout use that as leverage. Hope it all goes well.

Bingo! I think any company would prefer not to lose any bookings let alone 12 cabins meaning at least 24 paid bookings. Hinting around at transferring to another line might help.

I would not stand for this at all.

Archived