Royal Caribbean gave my cabin away in error.

CC, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Good luck and let us know the outcome. You are right by the way in pursuing some sort of token "thanks for understanding" from RCI.

I haven't hear anything back yet but I will be sure to keep you all posted! I'm wondering what is taking so long.

I haven't hear anything back yet but I will be sure to keep you all posted! I'm wondering what is taking so long.

Here is sort of conflicting advice:

Don't be too impatient to hear back from them, but DON'T let it go too long, either.

If no one has called you an hour from now, CALL BACK.

(politely, of course. Let your BDS know that your clients are anxious to have an appropriate and suitable resolution, and this mess has already been going on for too long)

Here is sort of conflicting advice:

Don't be too impatient to hear back from them, but DON'T let it go too long, either.

If no one has called you an hour from now, CALL BACK.

(politely, of course. Let your BDS know that your clients are anxious to have an appropriate and suitable resolution, and this mess has already been going on for too long)

Thanks. 1:30 eastern time was when I spoke to them.

Have you brought this fact to the attention of RCI? The necessity for having a cabin midship (and not in the forward location they are offering you) is b/c of the person's handicap. You have just made your argument that much stronger.

Was not a handicap cabin although the passenger is handicaped. She has one prosthetic leg. She did not feel as though she needed a handicap cabin but the location of the cabin was necesary.

I really don't understand how this can happen when we book a certain cabin and not a guarantee. If the cruise line can take it away from you by "accident" then surely there can be another "accident" and they can give the cabin back to you. 5.gif

I really don't understand how this can happen when we book a certain cabin and not a guarantee. If the cruise line can take it away from you by "accident" then surely there can be another "accident" and they can give the cabin back to you. 5.gif

One would think that.

Was not a handicap cabin although the passenger is handicaped. She has one prosthetic leg. She did not feel as though she needed a handicap cabin but the location of the cabin was necesary.

I understand that it was not a handicap cabin. I thought it might help your case to get the JS located within your block of midship rooms if RCI realized that cabin location was important since your client has a handicap/mobillity issue.

This is so interesting because the same thing happened to us. We booked our upcoming cruise almost 18 months ago, and we found out this past May that our cabin have been sold to someone else. We had already paid for the cruise in full. We only found out when a credit appeared on our online bank statement from RCCI. I was on the phone immediately with them and it took them almost an hour and a half to get us in another cabin. The first person I was talking to wanted us to pay more since the price of the cruise had gone up since we booked it! I asked to speak with a supervisor, and we ended up with the same small upgrade that you did. It just seems so unfair. We specifically picked the original cabin that we did since it was near an elevator and in the center of the ship.

I'm confused. YOU had the cabin and then RCCL gave it to someone else by mistake. Why are they calling you saying the couple that booked later than you has the rights to it? I would think THEY are the ones that would have to move. Am I missing something?

I'm with Stretch: They shouldn't have even contacted you at all. It's yours already. The couple they tried to assign to 'your' cabin should have been moved and then informed of their mistake and said move....to the D1 they are trying to give you now! There should be no discussion with you at all.

This post is very interesting since it is a TA that got the run around from RC. I can tell you this happens more than what people think. We have been offered upgrades to Junior Suites and have NOT liked it. Be very careful where you are moving..have a look at what is above you and beside you before you move. This type of accident does not just happen. There is a reason that you may never find out. But do push and go up the food chain as I have know this to have happened on five other cruises.

This is so interesting because the same thing happened to us. We booked our upcoming cruise almost 18 months ago, and we found out this past May that our cabin have been sold to someone else. We had already paid for the cruise in full. We only found out when a credit appeared on our online bank statement from RCCI. I was on the phone immediately with them and it took them almost an hour and a half to get us in another cabin. The first person I was talking to wanted us to pay more since the price of the cruise had gone up since we booked it! I asked to speak with a supervisor, and we ended up with the same small upgrade that you did. It just seems so unfair. We specifically picked the original cabin that we did since it was near an elevator and in the center of the ship.

They were trying to get you to pay the up charge! That is crazy I would have laughed on the phone. You should have been given a big upgrade for that mistake. I understand that mistakes are made but the customer should be compensated for the mistake period. Unfortunately if the customer does not stand up for what they want then the Cruise line or any company for that matter will try to offer them as little as possible for the error.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see what the big deal is. YES, the cabin was yours and YES, RC made the mistake. But as someone pointed out, if it wasn't a particularly "special" cabin (corner aft, handdicapped, etc.) why worry about it? I mean, sure, you can fight it on principle, and demand compensation just because you can, but I'm just wondering why it is so important to the group you booked that they be EXACTLY right next door to each other. Do they run back and forth between cabins all night or something? I know that sounds sarcastic and I don't mean it that way, but if one cabin is a little further down the hall, what does it really matter? Seems like much ado about almost nothing, but that's just my .02.

Just out of curiosity though, what would you consider fair compensation for this seemingly minor mistake? Seriously, I'm just wondering.

This post is very interesting since it is a TA that got the run around from RC. I can tell you this happens more than what people think. We have been offered upgrades to Junior Suites and have NOT liked it. Be very careful where you are moving..have a look at what is above you and beside you before you move. This type of accident does not just happen. There is a reason that you may never find out. But do push and go up the food chain as I have know this to have happened on five other cruises.

What did you not like about the Jr. Suite? I requesting one right beside the cabin that I have now. As far as I know the only thing above me is is more suites and the only thing below me is Balcony cabins.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see what the big deal is. YES, the cabin was yours and YES, RC made the mistake. But as someone pointed out, if it wasn't a particularly "special" cabin (corner aft, handdicapped, etc.) why worry about it? I mean, sure, you can fight it on principle, and demand compensation just because you can, but I'm just wondering why it is so important to the group you booked that they be EXACTLY right next door to each other. Do they run back and forth between cabins all night or something? I know that sounds sarcastic and I don't mean it that way, but if one cabin is a little further down the hall, what does it really matter? Seems like much ado about almost nothing, but that's just my .02.

Just out of curiosity though, what would you consider fair compensation for this seemingly minor mistake? Seriously, I'm just wondering.

My clients booked and deposited this cruise far in advance so they could have the choice of what cabins they wanted and wanted them all together. They have that right. What may not be a big deal to you can be for another. And yes, they are handicapped...which would be why they wanted the cabin they have right near the elevator.

They were trying to get you to pay the up charge! That is crazy I would have laughed on the phone. You should have been given a big upgrade for that mistake. I understand that mistakes are made but the customer should be compensated for the mistake period. Unfortunately if the customer does not stand up for what they want then the Cruise line or any company for that matter will try to offer them as little as possible for the error.

It gets even better...as I stated, the cruise was paid in full. After this snafu, we had an outstanding balance of just over $20. When I called them to find out what was going on, they informed me this was the increase in our travel insurance (purchased through RC) since the re-booked room was more expensive than the original room! Back on the phone with the supervisor, after a very lengthy phone call the charge was removed.

My clients booked and deposited this cruise far in advance so they could have the choice of what cabins they wanted and wanted them all together. They have that right. What may not be a big deal to you can be for another. And yes, they are handicapped...which would be why they wanted the cabin they have right near the elevator.

I thought you said "you" were going to take the room down the hall. Am I missing something?

I am confused as well. If the group together is all family, and you are only going as the TA (on points?) Why is it so important that your cabin be by theirs. I'm sorry there was a mixup, but I guess I don't understand. :)

Cruising Capones - I have skimmed this post so if I repeat anything I apologize. I was a TA for 10 years and I KNOW that this stuff happens. I have had issues with RCI as well as NCL and HAL screwing up my reservations and leaving me with egg on my face. Meanwhile clients thought it was me who made errors. Nevertheless you must be tough with them if it is one thing I learned you have to get tough. That may sound harsh but in my ten years I learned that you ALWAYS ALWAYS make nice with clients no matter how crazy or harsh they are to you. But I am sorry, with the cruise lines I was always polite but very firm and tough. They are supposed to be partenrs with TAs not trying to make the job harder. Demand to speak to supervisors and also GET YOUR LOCAL REP involved. I would also get a name of the head of reservations and demand to speak with them. I would also get Goldstein's email if that exists and send an email off to him. I also would threaten to write into one of the trade journals like Travel Trade regarding the issue and I have. NCL once screwed me big time with a cabin that was booked and paid for - cabin assignment balcony - and then two months before the cruise my clients were given an inside cabin. No one wanted to help....I sent a letter to Travel Trade and within days I had it fixed. I also spoke and emailed the head of reservations and the prez of the company daily. Be pushy, beleive me I am not like that in my life but you must remain calm but be in control and be firm. They did something that is not right. In my case they gave my clients a mini-suite. I never told them what happen....imagine if I did....I call the client and say you booked a balcony but NCL changed it to an inside cabin and won't give you back any money. They would be the 1st people to go on cruise critic and say their TA did something wrong. Meanwhile I did not! Anyway, they got a suite for the price of a balcony they were happy, I was happy everything was great in the end. I wish you luck. If you ever need help let me know sometimes when a few people brainstorm it helps. Don't let them get away with this.

I can't wait to hear how this one turns out.

As the rest of the posters have said, just stick to your guns and ask for what you want - keep asking if that's what it takes. At all times remain polite and use the ole "pass the butter" voice (you know - that soothing tone that no one can take offence at) but keep saying it like a dog with a bone. Eventually they or someone higher up will come around.

I once did battle for something that I knew I was in the right for. My TA said there was no way because she'd tried and tried and it just ticked me off that a big cruising company could just do something at their will with no thought to their loyal passenger. I kept at it and eventually a supervisor actually worked with me, adjusted my pricing with a note in the file and then told me to tell me TA to call HER back. She did and all was well, but it did take a little work. Totally worth it!!

Keep at it - it will be worth it for you too.

I'm saying a prayer for you that this will all be resolved simply and to your satisfaction!

I would not be pleased if this happened to us, and we only have two cabins booked next to each other. My FIL and DD will be traveling with us, and to us it's very important that we have cabins next to each other.

I hope RCI makes this "right." And soon!

This could seriously affect our decision to travel on RCI.

Please keep us updated.

Yes, they should get the cabin they booked. But again, as long as they have one of the cabins in the block (yours?), I can't see how it matters. You seem very opposed to giving up your cabin and taking the one down the hall that RC offered instead, and that's what I can't figure out. Is there some reason you are adamant about being right smack in the middle of this large family group? Or is it strictly the principle of the thing? If so, then I'm still curious what you feel would be fair compensation to you from the cruiseline for this situation.

Yes, they should get the cabin they booked. But again, as long as they have one of the cabins in the block (yours?), I can't see how it matters. You seem very opposed to giving up your cabin and taking the one down the hall that RC offered instead, and that's what I can't figure out. Is there some reason you are adamant about being right smack in the middle of this large family group? Or is it strictly the principle of the thing? If so, then I'm still curious what you feel would be fair compensation to you from the cruiseline for this situation.

I was under the impression that the OP was a member of this family.

I was under the impression that the OP was a member of this family.

That's the impression I got as well. Even if not though, it's not for us to decide where she'd be better off- she should be able to have whatever unreserved cabin makes her happy, as long as it's comparable to the original cabin (ie she couldn't expect get a grand suite out of the deal). I think that since being in the same vicinity is important to her, and since there are no available balconies left in that vicinity, the unoccupied JS in the area is a very reasonable request. Why she wants to be near the rest of the group- whether they're family/friends or just clients- is kind of irrelevent.

Archived