Royal Caribbean gave my cabin away in error.

Thank you. That was the bottom line. We had money and names on that cabin and it should have been given right back to us and it would have been settled the first day. I caught the mistake the very next day after they gave the cabin to another agency.

I am glad that you caught the change so quickly and were able to get a resolution that you were happy with.

If our cabin was "taken away", I would be very upset as we book over a year in advance to get the cabin we really want. It would ruin the cruise for us if they made that mistake and did not get our cabin back or upgrade us for their mistake.

I am the TA and they are still not helping me!!!! This is not my first group booked with them. I don't do a ton of business with them, about one group a year. But I really don't think they have handled this well. My clients do not want the cabin they are offering. So the only option I have is to move my cabin to the D1 they are offering and my client can have my cabin seeing as it is with all the rest of the cabin block that they originally had (it's all their family) So I will end up moving my cabin so my client can have that one. But my thought is that Royal Caribbean should be doing more for me.

Glad it worked out.

Because that is why many of us book a year out - to get what we want ( I for example like middle ship/by the elevators). When you pay for something they shouldn't be able to take it from you. For Alaska next year we booked an inside cabin across the hall from my parents suite so we can spounge off their balcony. If they move us that defeats the purpose of planning so far out. It is great if it wouldn't bother you personally but for some folks there are certain plans made for a reason; otherwise everyone would just book "guarantee" and let RC pick their rooms.

I didn't get that impression, but whatever. And I didn't think the cabin down the hall was a big deal, but the OP did, so again--whatever.

The last I read from the OP, the displaced passengers were handicapped and needed to be near the elevator, and I guess no one else in their group would switch with them to make that happen. Regardless of all that, I still don't get why it's such a big deal for either the OP or someone else in the party to take the room RC offered a little further down the hall, but hey- if the entire group wants 12 cabins that are exactly right next to each other, I guess that's their prerogative. Doesn't seem worth all the stress to me, but it's not my cabin or my trip or my family, so I'll leave it at that.

But, I'm still curious as to what the OP thinks fair compensation would be.

Because that is why many of us book a year out - to get what we want ( I for example like middle ship/by the elevators). When you pay for something they shouldn't be able to take it from you. For Alaska next year we booked an inside cabin across the hall from my parents suite so we can spounge off their balcony. If they move us that defeats the purpose of planning so far out. It is great if it wouldn't bother you personally but for some folks there are certain plans made for a reason; otherwise everyone would just book "guarantee" and let RC pick their rooms.

Why should I have to move one of the other passengers out of thier cabin to switch with them when Royal Caribbean made the mistake????? And had RCI given us another cabin in the same area someone would have....but nobody else in the group should have to settle for less desireable because Royal Caribbean made a mistake. Like the other person said....we booked a year out so we could pick exactly what cabins we wanted...there is no reason we should have had to settle for something other than what we picked! Apparently the person that got our cabin felt that it wasn't a fair deal either because they wouldn't make the switch.

I didn't get that impression, but whatever. And I didn't think the cabin down the hall was a big deal, but the OP did, so again--whatever.

But, I'm still curious as to what the OP thinks fair compensation would be.

That is what she preferred, and that is what she paid for. Not what anyone else thinks is not a problem.

In a past post she said that a JS would be fair compensation.

In a past post she said that a JS would be fair compensation.

And the JS was more because there weren't any nearby balconies available, not because she necessarily wanted an upgrade- she wanted the closest available cabin that was at or above the category she booked, which happened to be a JS right next door.

And the JS was more because there weren't any nearby balconies available, not because she necessarily wanted an upgrade- she wanted the closest available cabin that was at or above the category she booked, which happened to be a JS right next door.

THANK YOU SO MUCH SINGINGPIXIE!!!!! I don't understand why some people don't get it. Thank you, I couldn't have put that better.

I have a group of 12 cabins booked on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the seas. All balcony cabins all together. Royal Caribbean gave one of those cabins away in error. They have admitted to the error but it has taken 6 days for them to find another cabin in that area. The cabin they found us is in the same vicinity but not right aside of the others as originally planned, and it's a little more forward. Shouldn't Royal Caribbean offer us some sort of good will gesture for having to deal with this? They were offering the people they were trying to get our cabin back from one and they said no...so why shouldn't we get offered one too? What are your thoughts?

I'm glad you worked hard, and got an acceptable upgrade to compensate you for your loss. :D

Do you have any idea how this happened? Most companies would blame this on a computer glitch. The truth is, it's ALWAYS the people who program these computers. It has to be human error. Someone entered that cabin number, got an error, then overrode the error. Poof! your cabin is now assigned to Mr and Mrs XYZ.

You would hope RCI 're-trained' the employee responsible for the error.

Do you plan on knocking on the door of the cabin you lost? Probably not productive, but I would be darn curious about what RCI told them. (If anything?)

I am the TA and they are still not helping me!!!! This is not my first group booked with them. I don't do a ton of business with them, about one group a year. But I really don't think they have handled this well. My clients do not want the cabin they are offering. So the only option I have is to move my cabin to the D1 they are offering and my client can have my cabin seeing as it is with all the rest of the cabin block that they originally had (it's all their family) So I will end up moving my cabin so my client can have that one. But my thought is that Royal Caribbean should be doing more for me.

My sincere apologies to you. I jumped to the wrong conclusion as there seems to more and more 'hobby' agents and most haven't a real clue what they are doing.

Glad it all worked out for your clients and you.

You did however confirm my last point that a good agent is Gold.

Your clients are lucky to have you!

My sincere apologies to you. I jumped to the wrong conclusion as there seems to more and more 'hobby' agents and most haven't a real clue what they are doing.

Glad it all worked out for your clients and you.

You did however confirm my last point that a good agent is Gold.

Your clients are lucky to have you!

Thank you very much, my clients are very happy with me right now and I'm very satisfied with myself that I held my ground with the cruise line. I will be booking another group for next year and if I didn't gain confidence with my clients group this year that would have hurt my chances of them using me again.

I'm glad you worked hard, and got an acceptable upgrade to compensate you for your loss. :D

Do you have any idea how this happened? Most companies would blame this on a computer glitch. The truth is, it's ALWAYS the people who program these computers. It has to be human error. Someone entered that cabin number, got an error, then overrode the error. Poof! your cabin is now assigned to Mr and Mrs XYZ.

You would hope RCI 're-trained' the employee responsible for the error.

Do you plan on knocking on the door of the cabin you lost? Probably not productive, but I would be darn curious about what RCI told them. (If anything?)

No, they never gave me an explanation of how it happened just kept offering me their sincere apologies and did admit it was their error. I won't knock on the people's door but I certainly will check them out...lol.

Well done you, some how I dont think my agent would do as much work as you did if this happened to me :mad:

I would just like to add, this is to the posters who didnt think this was a big deal.....If this problem (error) is happening, do you not think that the cruise companies will carry on doing this even more if they didnt get the complaints like they got from the OP. If they think they can get away with it will become a regular occurence.

Well done you, some how I dont think my agent would do as much work as you did if this happened to me :mad:

I would just like to add, this is to the posters who didnt think this was a big deal.....If this problem (error) is happening, do you not think that the cruise companies will carry on doing this even more if they didnt get the complaints like they got from the OP. If they think they can get away with it will become a regular occurence.

That is the reason why people should use an agent....because we are supposed to stick up for our clients. I would hope one would do the same for you. Thank you very much on the compliment. And I agree with you. I think most people would have just said "oh well, what can I do?" and let them get away with it and then it just may happen more often. It would be like if you bought a car and you paid for and ordered one model but when it came in they gave it to someone else and gave you the next available the could get in short notice.......would you just say "oh well." I hope nobody would. It was very discouraging to see peoples posts that didn't think it was a big deal. But if it were their cabin I do believe it would be a big deal to them. And if they are an agent and don't think it's a big deal for their clients....then they aren't doing the full service for them.

Congratulations, you behaved perfectly - well, except for allowing yourself to stress over THEIR mistake when you were 100% in the right. Anyway, I'm so happy it worked out - enjoy your JS!

Congratulations, you behaved perfectly - well, except for allowing yourself to stress over THEIR mistake when you were 100% in the right. Anyway, I'm so happy it worked out - enjoy your JS!

Thank you, I admit I was stressed. It was just so back and fourth and continuous phone calls and emails and it shouldn't have had to be that difficult to fix. If they hadn't admitted it was their mistake and I knew I was 100% right I wouldn't even persued it. But I was right and I admitt it stressed me out....all the phone calls back and fourth, the continuous emails, the having to explain to my client I didn't have a cabin for them just yet, even though they had one and had already put money on it.. Yes, I admit, I should try to not stress so quickly. Buy it took alot of time to hash that out. Time that could have been spent with other clients on other things.

I can't stress enough how much I appreciate all the support, suggestions, and congratulations I have received from the great people on this board. I honestly don't know if I would have held my ground as firm against them with out all of your encouragement. Thank you.

Maybe you meant to respond to the person I responded to, but I was actually backing you up and explaining why you would be upset - as would I if it happened to me.....

Why should I have to move one of the other passengers out of thier cabin to switch with them when Royal Caribbean made the mistake????? And had RCI given us another cabin in the same area someone would have....but nobody else in the group should have to settle for less desireable because Royal Caribbean made a mistake. Like the other person said....we booked a year out so we could pick exactly what cabins we wanted...there is no reason we should have had to settle for something other than what we picked! Apparently the person that got our cabin felt that it wasn't a fair deal either because they wouldn't make the switch.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and your support. You will be happy to know that after all the support and suggestions I got from all of (well most of) the people on this topic I stood my ground. And guess what? Yesterday afternoon I got a call that they gave me my Jr. Suite for my troubles, moved my clients into the cabin I had booked (which was right next to the cabin they lost) and everyone is happy. Thanks so much.

Before I read the rest of the responses, I just want to say GOOD FOR YOU! ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about fair compensation...

I have to ask you though, if you had booked a certain cabin, and RCI then gave it to someone else,and they then offered you a "less desirable room", would you think it was okay?

Does the cruise line have the right to take your room (guaranteed, and paid for) away from you?

They don't have that "right" and I have already agreed that RC should not have given away the already-booked cabin. My point is just that just because a mistake is made, doesn't necessarily mean it's a huge problem that warrants some tremendous compensation. Sometimes you have to consider whether you are really being inconvenienced or not, or if what they are offering is truly less desirable or not. If the answer is no, let it go and relax. But it seems to be a huge issue for the OP for some reason I still can't figure out.

Personally, I don't see how being a few more steps down the hall creates an inconvenience, unless there is some reason we have not been made aware of that necessitates that this family, and their TA, all have cabins with absolutely no one else in between them.

I understand about the party being handicapped wanting to be near the elevator, but if it was my family, a family member in one of the other 11 cabins would have been willing to swap with me, and take the cabin RC offered that was a few more doors down.

They don't have that "right" and I have already agreed that RC should not have given away the already-booked cabin. My point is just that just because a mistake is made, doesn't necessarily mean it's a huge problem that warrants some tremendous compensation.

I don't think we're disagreeing about fair compensation. In my opinion, fair compensation would be to switch back the cabin and then for RCI to fight it out with the 2nd party.

But it doesn't matter what you, or I, think about the location, etc. It wasn't our cabin taken away. It *did* matter to the OP.

Fortunately, it worked out for her.

Did I post something out of context? I was answering waterbug123 as he kept asking (at least twice ) what the OP thought was fair compensation.

Archived