"Big U" Update

I worked for US lines as a computer operator in 1967 when I was 17, one of my fellow workers cruised on her every year at Christmas and New Years, I remember he said he received a clothing allowance and got his normal pay and he said his main job was to tell the bartenders what time to close the bar, I would have been good at that job, bar would have remained open. US lines was then located at 1 Broadway at the tip of Manhattan.

That MUST have been a great job. :D

Just curious. What kind of computer work was avaiable in 1967? :confused:

That MUST have been a great job. :D

Just curious. What kind of computer work was avaiable in 1967? :confused:

There was second generation IBM mainframe 1401, also everything was on cards so there was sorters and misc other stuff, worked in field from 67 till I retired last year.

There was second generation IBM mainframe 1401, also everything was on cards so there was sorters and misc other stuff, worked in field from 67 till I retired last year.

In 1959 we had a huge Univac 1105 computer installed in the entire basement of an academic building on the campus at the University of North Carolina that handled a lot of basic clerical data for the school and supported a management "game" for an advanced management class I was taking. The game required a lot of data entry via punch cards and was replete with errors if/when some poor soul in the sorting room spilled the cards.

Here's a photo of a part of the chassis of the 1105:

ITS_18580.jpg

And of a "computer job" back then:

ITS_19092.jpg

Congrats on a great career.

You had behind the counter experience to amazing development through the years.

In 1959 we had a huge Univac 1105 computer installed in the entire basement of an academic building on the campus at the University of North Carolina that handled a lot of basic clerical data for the school and supported a management "game" for an advanced management class I was taking. The game required a lot of data entry via punch cards and was replete with errors if/when some poor soul in the sorting room spilled the cards.

Here's a photo of a part of the chassis of the 1105:

ITS_18580.jpg

And of a "computer job" back then:

ITS_19092.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Vacuum tubes! Heat was the enemy back then, and today too.

Back on topic, the Conservancy is planning a SS United States presence at the upcoming NYC Veterans Parade. More to come!

It may occur to some that the Conservancy is "crying wolf," but in this case, I don't think so. The Lenfest money and other big donations can't last forever.

Of course it is, Steve, they care less about the ship and more about maintaining the Conservancy and remembering the Big U.

I mean, you don't think Susan Gibbs is doing this for free? I don't think so but I could be wrong! :cool:

Sadly, the SS United States Trust got shafted by Lenfest, when he put the conservancy in charge instead of the Trust. The latter entity would have been the wisest choice.

The more Susan Gibbs wants to see her in New York, the less the chances are to save the ship. It is as simple as that.

Of course it is, Steve, they care less about the ship and more about maintaining the Conservancy and remembering the Big U.

I mean, you don't think Susan Gibbs is doing this for free? I don't think so but I could be wrong! :cool:

Sadly, the SS United States Trust got shafted by Lenfest, when he put the conservancy in charge instead of the Trust. The latter entity would have been the wisest choice.

The more Susan Gibbs wants to see her in New York, the less the chances are to save the ship. It is as simple as that.

So much time has passed since the Lenfest donation. It's sad the project remains stalled. :(

My parents went aboard the United States today. So far they have only sent one picture...sorry I don't know why it is rotated

Thanks for posting and glad to hear they were able to go aboard. It can be a heartbreaking experience for those who were familiar with the ship in its heyday.

It's amazing how small the first class staterooms seemed.

Did they enjoy the dinner and was there anything new on the ship?

Edited by Philly Steve

It was a thrill for my mom to be back aboard after all those decades. She is an artist and said she would like to put a piece in the auction next time...if there is a next time. My dad said the gala raised enough money to keep it afloat for another month or so. He said the hull doesn't appear to be taking on water but there are exposed areas that are so rusted and corroded he is not optimistic it can be saved. :(

I have the answer for the United States: Donald Trump.

Think about it...he knows real estate, he loves New York, he has billions of dollars...and he wants to "make America great again." Maybe he could make the United States great again instead.

It was a thrill for my mom to be back aboard after all those decades. She is an artist and said she would like to put a piece in the auction next time...if there is a next time. My dad said the gala raised enough money to keep it afloat for another month or so. He said the hull doesn't appear to be taking on water but there are exposed areas that are so rusted and corroded he is not optimistic it can be saved. :(

Thanks for the update. I hope there is a next time.

The SS United States Conservancy says the emergency campaign has raised enough to keep the ship around for at least another month.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/11/02/cash-helps-historic-ocean-liner-avoid-scrap-heap-for-now/

It is still seeking major donors and will make a decision on the next plan of action soon.

The SS United States Conservancy board met last Friday and confirmed emergency donations "in excess of 100k dollars.

A board statement mentions ongoing discussions with NYC parties, adding it hopes to make an announcement on the ship's future, perhaps by the end of the month.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/11/ss_united_states_officals_donations_keep_ships_lif.html

• 2 weeks later...

Executive Director Susan Gibbs thanks supporters for their donations and says discussions continue on the redevelopment of the ship. She cites confidentiality agreements for the lack of details.

The Conservancy had a presence at New York's Veterans Day parade.

The message did not mention any new deadlines.

The SS United States has broken a new record: longest time in lay-up.

An email, dated 11.23.16 from the SS United States Conservancy states that critical funding has given the ship more time.

The Conservancy says more than $600,000 has been raised in the seven weeks of the SOS campaign and scrap bids have been rejected.

Donations included several major gifts including two for $100k and $250k from an unnamed West Coast contributor.

The Conservancy says negotiations continue with existing and new developers who are "actively engaged in exploring options for the ship's adaptive reuse." It appears New York remains the focal point of these talks.

The email reports these developments will keep the ship afloat well into next year.