"Big U" Update

Just received the Conservancy's December newsletter which states the latest emergency fund raising campaign will keep the SS United States "safely afloat well into 2016."

To quote Executive Director Susan Gibbs, "the Conservancy is in confidential discussions with its partners and is assessing intriguing scenarios in which the ship's economic potential would be activated."

Just received the Conservancy's December newsletter which states the latest emergency fund raising campaign will keep the SS United States "safely afloat well into 2016."

To quote Executive Director Susan Gibbs, "the Conservancy is in confidential discussions with its partners and is assessing intriguing scenarios in which the ship's economic potential would be activated."

Thanks for the update and good news and keeping us informed, have a Merry Christmas and happy holidays, hopefully we will be able to have a drink on SS United States one day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been very much a skeptic regarding the future of the United States. The hulk is stripped of everything usable. The machinery that is left is trashed. The hull, according to a friend who actually did a survey is very corroded. The paint, obviously, is in need of redoing urgently.

Does anyone with the conservancy have a clue of the millions upon millions of dollars required to do even a cosmetic restoration? Does anyone have any idea of the cost to move this hulk to a more suitable location to become a tourist attraction?

I have friends involved with the museum ship Valley Camp at Sault Ste. Marie, MI. They have a constant scramble to find money to do the things necessary to keep this fine vessel afloat. And it is much, much smaller than the United States.

The time to have done all this stuff was about 30 years ago when the ship was in much better shape and more intact. I wish these people well, but they must take off the rose tinted glasses and face facts.

Doc

I suppose I should point out that my close friend and fellow railfan Russ Powell, now passed on, was responsible for doing the takeoffs when the "Big U" was under construction. So my negativity is tempered by a great desire to see the ship find a real sugar daddy to properly restore it as a monument to Russ and his fellow workers who built it.

Doc:)

Hi Doc, I understand your reservations about the future of the SS United States.

I do not believe the Conservancy is seeking a full restoration which would truly be expensive but rather a remake as a retail, education, museum complex. Perhaps a small hotel could be thrown in.

The interior is empty and ready for development. I am told the hull, while visually unappealing, suffers from only from surface rust. The hull was so over built, it remains strong today.

Yes it would be costly to tow the ship to New York but The Big U is not "stuck in the mud" and still snaps lines occasionally.

We'll learn more when the Conservancy conducts a news conference Thursday in New York. It's expected that certain developers have signed letters of intent but those documents will surely contain escape clauses if financing is not secured.

I'm still crossing my fingers! ;)

I am hoping that it will be announced that the United States will return to NYC/ Westside piers. As far as the restoration perhaps just a couple of decks to provide restaurant/catering services & retail space, a few restoration of public rooms and staterooms.

The battleship Intrepid was turned into a major tourist attraction over the years and the west side of Manhattan has been & continues to be redeveloped all the time. The new High Line park is spectacular and is filled w/ tourists & locals walking in places where just a few years ago no one would be found even in daylight hours.

Tho the millions of $$$ needed for this project may be daunting in reality it's no big deal and certainly attainable here in NYC.

I can still remember seeing my parents, friends & family off on the great ships at Bon Voyage parties back in the late 1960's from the West Side Piers and then sailing myself from the same piers back in the 1970's. To be able to see THE UNITED STATES here in NYC would be spectacular. She's been saved for some reason..perhaps her time has come again!

I agree with Rotterdam, I started cruising in 1975 from NYC ( when I lived there ) and now we visit every year if it could be docked around my Intrepid I think it could draw the tourist. Also agree with Steve a small hotel might do well, I would give it a shot. Could just redo ballroom and make it bar/club??

I certainly hope you guys are right, but all things I have seen indicate that the United States follows that old definition of a boat. A hole in the water surrounded by boards (or steel plate) in the water into which you pour endless amounts of money.

I fear even a decent and partially functional restoration will cost between $50 million and $100 million.

Take a look at the comparatively tiny S. S. Columbia and Ste. Claire. These two old ferries that ran from Detroit down the river to BobLo Park have already cost several million each and are really still derelicts.

Good luck to the Conservancy in finding an angel or a sucker as the case may be.

Doc

I just saw a report on the news that showed Crystal's CEO Edie Bornstein announcing the plan. The report also said the ship will operate as an ocean going passenger ship out of NYC.

What great news!

Maritime Matters

Edited by Host Walt

Remember how the Norwegian Cruise Lines adventure turned out. I hope to keep expectations in check.

What this means is that this company will hire a company to look at the hulk and determine if it is feasible to do anything with it. I certainly hope they find they can do something with it.

Doc

Remember how the Norwegian Cruise Lines adventure turned out. I hope to keep expectations in check.

What this means is that this company will hire a company to look at the hulk and determine if it is feasible to do anything with it. I certainly hope they find they can do something with it.

Doc

So glad posts were made about the announcement.

The NCL acquisition was the second thing I thought of after initial glee.

The notion of returning the ship to sea was/is beyond my wildest hopes. It's now up to fans of the ship to let Crystal know they are ready to book.

So glad posts were made about the announcement.

The NCL acquisition was the second thing I thought of after initial glee.

The notion of returning the ship to sea was/is beyond my wildest hopes. It's now up to fans of the ship to let Crystal know they are ready to book.

From when I was at NCL, one of the stumbling blocks to their attempt at reactivating the US was the Conservancy's class action suit barring NCL from removing the power plant on the grounds that it was the one historical feature that made the ship unique. Has the Conservancy changed it's stance on this, because even if you could repair the turbines and boilers, no one could afford to operate the ship, even with today's low oil prices.

From when I was at NCL, one of the stumbling blocks to their attempt at reactivating the US was the Conservancy's class action suit barring NCL from removing the power plant on the grounds that it was the one historical feature that made the ship unique. Has the Conservancy changed it's stance on this, because even if you could repair the turbines and boilers, no one could afford to operate the ship, even with today's low oil prices.

No one ever was able to operate the United States at a profit. It was built with a huge government subsidy and operated with a major government subsidy until the military decided it did not need a massive very fast troop transport.

Either diesel electric propulsion or gas turbine electric will be necessary to make this feasible at a more reasonable 22 knots.

I hope this idea is able to work, but I will be less than surprised if it fails to amount to anything.

Doc

Engine matter came as a surprise to me. My takeaway from the Conservancy statement is that the power plant will be replaced with a modern unit. Perhaps some of the existing equipment could be sold, at least to collectors?

No one ever was able to operate the United States at a profit. It was built with a huge government subsidy and operated with a major government subsidy until the military decided it did not need a massive very fast troop transport.

Either diesel electric propulsion or gas turbine electric will be necessary to make this feasible at a more reasonable 22 knots.

I hope this idea is able to work, but I will be less than surprised if it fails to amount to anything.

Doc

At the time the US was built, every US flag ship was receiving construction subsidies and operation subsidies as part of the Merchant Marine Act of 1936. These subsidies paid the difference between the cost to build and operate a ship as US flag, compared to operating the same ship as foreign flag. I believe it was Ronald Reagan that finally phased out the subsidies. And to this day, the government is paying subsidies to shipowners who agree to flag their ships US and to provide them to the government for sealift whenever called upon (two Gulf wars).

Cruise ships that have gone the gas turbine route have found that in and of itself, the concept is inefficient. The QM2, for example uses a combination of gas turbines and diesels to generate electricity, and the RCI/Celebrity ships have added a diesel generator for use at partial load. The gas turbine is only economical when run at full load, which is not always the case with cruise ships, even with multiple generator sets. And given the new emissions requirements, the benefits of the gas turbines in air quality are basically negated when the diesels have to burn low sulfur diesel instead of residual fuel.

the pic that Crystal shows is uch a kin to what happened to the France/Norway w/ additional decks, fewer life boats & other modifications...the $60, 000 a month storage fees are nothing to Crystal & its parent co..but the $800,000,000 to do the complete job is another story.....another QE2????

At this point I'd rather see her scrapped if she is not to be RESTORED.

The estimate of 800 Million comes from Crystal. If they can do it for that, so be it. They are planning on taking as long as 10-12 months to evaluate the situation and see if reconstructing the ship is feasible.

Now I have been told by a neutral source that the interior of the ship is gutted. Many of the mechanical gubbins have been taken to use on other ships. So redoing this ship will almost be like starting with a pile of steel plates and building a new ship.

Crystal plans to rebuild this ship as an 800 person cruise ship. This is considerably fewer passengers than the original capacity. I suspect the profile will differ enough to cause the zealots to cringe.

Anyway, we will see what we will see over the next year.

Doc