Packing for a family of four to Alaska...this can't be right

Oh, what's one pair of 3.5" heels?! I found a great packing idea on TV when I was watching how the Buckingham Palace staff packs the clothes of the guests when they are leaving. They wrap all of the clothes in tissue paper. I went to the dollar store and bought 3 packs and have been busy packing my clothes and it is wonderful! I'll bet it cuts down significantly on wrinkles. I just lay out a silky blouse, for instance, place a piece of tissue paper over it, fold it, place another piece of tissue paper over it and finish folding.

Try it.

This is exactly how my mother would pack, back in the 50's and 60's. She had to pack for herself, my dad and 6 children. I can now appreciate what an amazing job she did. Then I thought she was way overthinking everything!!!!!!

When we arrived to our destination, we all looked like everything was perfectly ironed. ;)

This is exactly how my mother would pack, back in the 50's and 60's. She had to pack for herself, my dad and 6 children. I can now appreciate what an amazing job she did. Then I thought she was way overthinking everything!!!!!!

When we arrived to our destination, we all looked like everything was perfectly ironed. ;)

Mother knows best! I'm so happy that I saw that program. I usually wait until the last minute to pack for any vacation, but this time I've been packing with tissue paper as time allowed all week. It's remarkable what a few dollar packs of tissue can do for your clothing.

Not only is tissue paper amazing, but so are the bags your dry cleaning comes back in. I'll save them up to use when packing -- just slip those over dresses and other very wrinkly things before putting them in the suitcase, and they come out looking very nearly creaseless. Miracle stuff, those bags!

• 3 weeks later...

I took what I needed and had a great time. It was nice to have a more relaxing type of cruise. Of the 3 formal dresses I wore two. I wore sneakers on shore excursions and a Chinese mesh slippers on board. Throughout the day was mostly jeans with light quarter to long selves tops. We gave up on the MDR about half way through the cruise so it was eat as you go throughout the day without worrying about dressing up. WE did both formal nights, more for the pics than the food. I am kinda thinking DH might be done with dressing up and might be ready for relaxed Alaska style cruising:eek: I got the idea when he started to do back flips about not going to the MDR:p T-shirt in Ketchikan, a drizzle at the White Pass. I enjoyed the cooler weather and now thinking about next summer if a good deal comes along. We hiked over to the waterfall in Juneau and had our fill at the brewery later

1639862915_Alaska187.jpg.1181727c87f35b3dc5308517338093cc.jpg

Archived